Camping food recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know if this has been done before or in the correct forum but here goes.

There is no doubt that when touring there is bound to be a time that I would have no option but to wild camp. I wouldn't really want to build a campfire but I would have to eat so a camping stove would be a better option, but what do I eat that can be cooked in one pot (or mess tin). I am a vegetarian so that is probably another problem. Anyone got any recipes?

I know one, but don't think I could eat this every time I camped:

Pasta with Arabiatta sauce:

Cook pasta and when cooked and drained add Passata sauce with teaspoon of garlic powder and chilli flakes, tablespoon of basil and a dash of olive oil. Bring to the boil, then eat.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

For real cooking, as opposed to Just Add Water packets, I prefer the longer, slower, controllable heat of a Trangia alcohol stove. Of the main camping carbs, couscous is the most efficient in terms of fuel and water, followed by rice, then pasta which requires you to boil lots of water.
My usual one pot dish is to fry up the veg and anything else going in, add some rice, a boiling kettle of water, cover for 15-10mins.
One vegan camper I met used a thermos flask to soak his pulses for the required time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure about single pan but I cook on a sjngle burner (Epi-Gas 'Alpine') with rice/pasta it doesn't need to boil constantly so once you've got it up to temperature you can take it off the heat and set it aside whilst cooking a sauce/stirfry.

I've never followed a recipe on tour (but there again I don't follow recipes at home). I tend to cook or dont cook to keep washing up to a minimum. I tend to eat anything and everything on the route. I carry two packets of dried options for the times there isn't a shop near my stop.
Some of my best camping creations have just been basic ingredients chucked into one pot. If I'm hungry I'll eat anything.

I don't know if its all in my head but when I am camping, even the most basic of food tastes great. I usually crave baked beans and bread, you don't get much more basic than that!

its a trade off with camp cooking as to how much pots you carry and can therefore use and how much washing up you are willing to do.

if the op eats fish, then ratatouille and some tuna works great, chuck the pasta in and your onto a winner

Too right about any food tasting great after a long days cycle camp. What is current equivalent of Karrimor panniers and a Blacks Packlite tent anyway? Saw more cycle campers in Corsica this summer than anywhere else, looked like a great place for it and some epic beach campsites.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I don't know if this has been done before or in the correct forum but here goes.

There is no doubt that when touring there is bound to be a time that I would have no option but to wild camp. I wouldn't really want to build a campfire but I would have to eat so a camping stove would be a better option, but what do I eat that can be cooked in one pot (or mess tin). I am a vegetarian so that is probably another problem. Anyone got any recipes?

I know one, but don't think I could eat this every time I camped:

Pasta with Arabiatta sauce:

Cook pasta and when cooked and drained add Passata sauce with teaspoon of garlic powder and chilli flakes, tablespoon of basil and a dash of olive oil. Bring to the boil, then eat.
Actually you may have to cut back on the chilli flakes as a teaspoon is for 4 servings

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
For real cooking, as opposed to Just Add Water packets, I prefer the longer, slower, controllable heat of a Trangia alcohol stove. Of the main camping carbs, couscous is the most efficient in terms of fuel and water, followed by rice, then pasta which requires you to boil lots of water.
My usual one pot dish is to fry up the veg and anything else going in, add some rice, a boiling kettle of water, cover for 15-10mins.
One vegan camper I met used a thermos flask to soak his pulses for the required time.
The thermal flask method seems a good idea I'll take note of that.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I don't know if its all in my head but when I am camping, even the most basic of food tastes great. I usually crave baked beans and bread, you don't get much more basic than that!

its a trade off with camp cooking as to how much pots you carry and can therefore use and how much washing up you are willing to do.

if the op eats fish, then ratatouille and some tuna works great, chuck the pasta in and your onto a winner
Yeah, washing up would be the main concern for me. Even washing up at home is a chore for me lol

DanZac

A packet of cous cous just needs boiling water, make up as per directions and Chuck in a tin of tuna with a few chilli flakes to taste. Hey Presto tea done and if your feeling posh add some fresh tomatoes or peppers etc.
Tinned soup only needs a pot to heat up with some fresh bread it doesn't get any easier than that.
Bit of cheese and fresh bread and no need to cook at all.
Your not going to survive for months on one pot meals but there are loads of things that are dead easy if you use your imagination.
As for washing up, eat from the pot you cooked in and you've only got a lot and spoon to worry about, an extra dribble when you brew up will deal with that or a quick wipe with a bit of kitchen roll.

Top Bottom