Camping food recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How good's that - I've got two early starts on Friday and Sunday to watch Wales Rally, so I'll be taking my little camping gaz stove for cuppas, and soup - but toast would top it off.
Not used one myself but having seen them in use I'm tempted to get one as it certainly looked like toast. :hungry:

Olive oil is great because it can be used like butter on bread or to give extra calories when other resources are scarce. It can also be used as very reasonable shaving "foam"!

Top tip.

And do you have a link for this Stanley flask you mention?

I use a homemade foil pan cosy at the moment for finishing off pasta but your suggestion may be easier if I can find the room in my usually way overpacked panniers and bags.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Your porridge conundrum sorted:

Don’t cook it until you get a glutinous texture. Rather, just add boiling water to the dry, uncooked meal. It is actually better for you and the energy is released more slowly. You get maximum calorific value. Best of all, your bowl is a doddle to clean. No more oats superglue to contend with.

Scots oats is best of course. I like raisins or sultanas and a blob of Nutella. Honey is good too.

Don’t cook it until you get a glutinous texture. Rather, just add boiling water to the dry, uncooked meal. It is actually better for you and the energy is released more slowly. You get maximum calorific value. Best of all, your bowl is a doddle to clean. No more oats superglue to contend with.

Scots oats is best of course. I like raisins or sultanas and a blob of Nutella. Honey is good too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out!

Bodhbh

Guru
I was never bothered about cooking on tour, but I've been using the Trangia on weekend trips for the last year and I have to say it's a complete game changer. Proper cooking. Still testing the possibilities, but I've done chili with 2-3hrs boil times, beef stroganoff, all sorts. Any pan that needs to be kept warm while boiling pasta, spuds etc I put in a spare plastic bag and tie shut. Aeropress + a small grinder for fresh coffee in the morning.

While it saves money, I do find myself spending a lot more time in the campsite, which I'm not sure is a good thing. Both setting off later after a couple of coffees and cooking in the evening. Before, I'd have a wonder after pitching to get fed and watered and see a bit more of the local area. Suppose you don't have to cook just cos you can. I'm not really getting the hang of packing the cooking bits efficiently either.

Nope, never been accused of being a minimalist packer ^_^

I've never had a problem with the bulk. It's used every day and is a pretty important part of my cooking setup. A less bulky item would be less stable when used on the ground.
Did you consider a pot cosy? More compact?

Did you consider a pot cosy? More compact?

I use the flask in 3 ways...
1 To brew coffee (pull out filter sits on top and drips into flask)
2. To finish/hold cooked food eg pasta/noodles while sauce etc cooks
3. To hold hot water/coffee either when travelling or in evenings. Especially handy in cold/wet weather to have a hot drink at bedtime without firing up the stove.

A cosy won't do all those things ^_^

HelenD123

Guru
I use the flask in 3 ways...
1 To brew coffee (pull out filter sits on top and drips into flask)
2. To finish/hold cooked food eg pasta/noodles while sauce etc cooks
3. To hold hot water/coffee either when travelling or in evenings. Especially handy in cold/wet weather to have a hot drink at bedtime without firing up the stove.

A cosy won't do all those things ^_^

Hmm, you've really got me wondering whether/if I should incorporate I should incorporate my food flask into my bike touring set up. There are days when it would be nice to whip out a hot meal from the pannier at lunchtime. I wonder if you could 'cook' one of those packet pasta meals in it. Pour hot water on it at breakfast time and let it cook/soak while riding.

Hmm, you've really got me wondering whether/if I should incorporate I should incorporate my food flask into my bike touring set up. There are days when it would be nice to whip out a hot meal from the pannier at lunchtime. I wonder if you could 'cook' one of those packet pasta meals in it. Pour hot water on it at breakfast time and let it cook/soak while riding.

That, specifically, I have never done. But if you have a flask it's easy to test it. I' pretty sure it'll cook, no problem, the danger may be in overcooking and mushy pasta.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Isn't that more brose than porridge? Still good IMO but some don't like it.

Top Bottom