Camping food recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Had to google that. Yes indeed it is brose. I prefer it. When I eat it, I imagine I am a lithe racehorse about to take the equine racing world by storm. I have quite a world in existence within the confines of the mind.
:laugh: Indeed. Sounds like you don't need Atholl Brose!

R25

Regular
Maybe I'm odd, but I enjoy cooking when touring, unless I'm totally worn out.

I carry a Trangia 1/2 man cookset, a Stanley flask and a ziplock bag of seasonings, spices, soy sauce, stock cubes, olive oil.

I'll always carry a couple of bags of quick boil noodles with seasonings, spam/tuna, fresh garlic, onion, tomato paste, pasta, couscous, and some kind of dried sausage -chorizo, fuet etc. Small tortillas that fit the Trangia pan. Also dried fruit and nuts and dark chocolate. Oh! And coffee!

I love porridge, but I cannot make it at home or on the road without it sticking to the pot, so my preferred breakfast is couscous with cinnamon, dark chocolate and dried fruit and nuts added after cooking.

Lunch can be a tortilla filled with tuna & onion, maybe some fresh peppers if handy. If cheese is handy, a quesadilla with cheese and chorizo can be delicious and warming on a colder day. Or just noodles. Alternatively, some honey, fruit and nuts and a bit of chocolate in a tortilla wrap can be delicious too.

Dinner is typically pasta, half cooked in a pot, transferred to the flask to finish, while sauce is made or from a packet with whatever additions I feel like.
Tomato paste, garlic, onion, some water and tuna can be delicious.
Aldi do some decent pre-made sauces.

A real treat is eggs! I always get a craving for eggs after a few days. If I see eggs for sale outside a farm, I'll often pick up half a dozen and make a simple omelette with whatever is in my bag, then hardboil the other eggs (for transport). They make a great snack.

For snacks I'll have the dark chocolate and dried fruits and nuts as well as some fruity biscuits.

I get a lot of use from my Stanley flask - short and broad for stability. I use it for finishing off pasta, eggs etc while cooking something else and for making coffee, or even carrying hot coffee when the weather is cold or wet. It saves setting up the stove at lunchtime.

I also use a "cosy" (aluminium foil bubblewrap) for my pot to hold heat in and protect my hands/legs when eating.

Olive oil is great because it can be used like butter on bread or to give extra calories when other resources are scarce. It can also be used as very reasonable shaving "foam"!

Of course, depending on where I am, the better option may be to skip cooking - Spain, for example has great food, very cheap but excellent quality so that it makes more sense to eat out than carry food. Or Germany has fantastic snack food like currywurst (washed down with a beer!) that would be sinful to ignore!

The one thing I've learned is always to have something in reserve!

And fuel!

Thanks for the ideas, new member so only just read post. Will give them a go when backpacking/cycling.

I boil up a pack of Eggs, preferably bought from a garden keeper or direct from a farm ,where possible. That way there's no worry about breaking the rest and you've always got a handy snack when needed - cuts down on the washing up too

Just stay up wind

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Quick cook pasta, or cous cous, with a half decent packet soup, made up thicker than normal, plus soaked dried porcini mushrooms.

Usually have a few small packets of olives about too.

Those sachets of mayonnaise that the pub gives out free - are an easily portable substitute for butter on lunchtime bread or oatcakes.

And lots of rehydrated home dried vegetables - I usually take kale, spinach, and parsley as easy to add to other dried food - ((i'm a vegetable farmer so a bit addicted to my greens)

I'm not a veggie tho - so will often add something like fish to all this - some supermarkets do sachets rather than tins of tuna and salmon - looks like cat food but tastes nice.

Instant custard - with a sachet of 'pip and nut' peanut butter added to it makes a nice tasty and filling -protein filled pud to keep you warm before turning in.

Then maybe some chocolate.

Then maybe some more chocolate ...

Going to have a go at dehydrating eggs to take as well - have a big flock of organically fed birds here so it would make sense to make use of them.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Those sachets of mayonnaise that the pub gives out free - are an easily portable substitute for butter on lunchtime bread or oatcakes.
+1 for Mayo

I also carry ketchup sachets, but have noticed they have a short shelf life before they go dark. I've never been one to worry about best before dates (actually I mostly ignore use by dates too) but ketchup starts tasting weird after a while.

itchybeard

I watch Dave's wild camping on YouTube. Quite a following, but he eats the best wild camping food. No holding back. Stuff the add water crap. Should be good for cycling aswell.

Top Bottom