Camping in Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not Scotland specific, but useful.... https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/
You're local so you'll know - waterproofs and midge repellant; nothing else needs to be said :smile:.

U

User6179

Unfortunately quite a few restrictions these days. Initially I think just small bits of loch lomond, but was shocked to recently find that these paid permit zones bave been substantially expanded.

Most of the places where you need a permit is full of tanked up neds anyway, Loch Lomond, Trossachs, Loch Earn(south side), Loch Lubnaig.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Unfortunately quite a few restrictions these days. Initially I think just small bits of loch lomond, but was shocked to recently find that these paid permit zones bave been substantially expanded.

yes i'm sure there are - but theres still thousands of square miles that have no such restrictions - which we can get to on our bikes - plus pitch late - leave early - leave no trace - works in most places - even in lowland England - most of it is common sense.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Indeed. Paying for a permit was supposed to stop the scourge of wild campers littering. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't.

You're not telling me that these initial flouters of 'the rules' haven't just knuckled down , and trotted off dutifully to pay for their permits??

Who could have predicted that outcome ???

yes i'm sure there are - but theres still thousands of square miles that have no such restrictions - which we can get to on our bikes - plus pitch late - leave early - leave no trace - works in most places - even in lowland England - most of it is common sense.

Once managed this in a fairly well built up part of Germany. If you don't leave a mess no-one is that bothered really.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Once managed this in a fairly well built up part of Germany. If you don't leave a mess no-one is that bothered really.

In some ways it works even better in the UK

Most folks are too bothered about making a fuss, or being seen as impolite to question you - so long as you're not behaving like a complete idiot.

And top 'classified' tip here from a farmer - we don't* actually go out last thing at night and scour our entire acreage for stealth campers - so long as you don't leave any trace - ( which does include your mortal remains smeared across the grassland by a herd of bullocks) then its all fine .

*We'd rather be indoors, in the warm generally too :rolleyes:

Most of the places where you need a permit is full of tanked up neds anyway, Loch Lomond, Trossachs, Loch Earn(south side), Loch Lubnaig.
I fancy free camping near a loch. Have done ever since, on a car camping trip, I saw folk without cars camping in some wondrous spots all alone. Can you recommend any lesser lochs which are still free of controls?

Top Bottom