Camping in Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Remote acottish railway stations are left unlocked and once the last trains pass through nice and wuiet. Just check first train due and ensure you are moving again before then.

One of my favourite touring moments is hopping off the train - with my bike - at one of those stations - watching it steam off into the distance - and then turning to the open (single track) road - knowing i have everything i need on board - and utter freedom to roam -

total bliss*

( *if its not p*shing down )

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I fancy free camping near a loch. Have done ever since, on a car camping trip, I saw folk without cars camping in some wondrous spots all alone. Can you recommend any lesser lochs which are still free of controls?

There are literally hundreds - probably thousands of lochs and lochans where you can do this - get some mapping software - or the old fashioned paper versions - and get planning - you can 'scotch' those best laid plans plans on a whim - and go in a different direction altogether - but at least you'll be on the road by then :smile:

U

User6179

I fancy free camping near a loch. Have done ever since, on a car camping trip, I saw folk without cars camping in some wondrous spots all alone. Can you recommend any lesser lochs which are still free of controls?

Loch Chon, I see a few folk camping here, not many, It is on the B829 which is a dead end road going from Aberfoyle to Inversnaid which is the east side of Loch Lomond, lots of spots to camp in the area.
Found this on YouTube

View: https://youtu.be/0nvlFpWClWE

rualexander

Legendary Member
Loch Chon, I see a few folk camping here, not many, It is on the B829 which is a dead end road going from Aberfoyle to Inversnaid which is the east side of Loch Lomond, lots of spots to camp in the area.

Loch Chon is in the Camping Management Zone so has restrictions during the permit season, at least on the side of the loch that the road is on.

Found this on YouTube

View: https://youtu.be/0nvlFpWClWE

With regard to the "controlled" locks, are there any signs telling you? Or are you supposed to rely on a smartphone map to help you do the right thing?

Although an honest soul, and I realise that anti social types might have brought these controls on, I must admit to resenting them.

Surely wardens aren't patrolling by night looking for untagged tents?

And what's the penalty if they do join you for breakfast?

It's quite possible that the particularly glorious spot I saw with a tent plonked there (oh how I envied them) was on one of these small uncontrolled lochs.

edited post after I saw rualexander's - yes, last time I looked at the map the controlled zones had become quite big. So still need to find a "grotty" (by comparison) unloved loch to bestow my favours on.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
With regard to the "controlled" locks, are there any signs telling you? Or are you supposed to rely on a smartphone map to help you do the right thing?

Although an honest soul, and I realise that anti social types might have brought these controls on, I must admit to resenting them.

It's quite possible that the particularly glorious spot I saw with a tent plonked there (oh how I envied them) was on one of these small uncontrolled lochs.

edited post after I saw rualexander's - yes, last time I looked at the map the controlled zones had become quite big. So still need to find a "grotty" (by comparison) unloved loch to bestow my favours on.

I dont wish to patronise here - but have you actually properly been to the Scottish Highlands, and Islands?? - They are tremendously, and enormously huge, and largely deserted, with more lochs, and lochans, than anyone has probably ever been able to count.

The least 'grotty' are certainly the most remote - so you might need to dump bike, and walk a teensy distance - push it - or hike and bike for a totally orgasmic one - but really you can do it - stop making excuses. :angel:

No you don't need your smart phone to tell you what to do - (that's what your common sense is for) your smart phone is for booking cheap hotels when you don't fancy camping - and posting annoying photos of the beautiful places you have camped - afterwards - but you're not going to say exactly where you were. :rolleyes:

Even if there were controls about camping beside all of the lochs- (there aren't) those rules would be impossible to enforce without a force of tens of thousands of wardens - up and at it - all night long.

Did exactly that many years ago and got eaten alive by the Scottish midges.

Go before June, and after mid September - take Smidge - zip up your tent around sun down - Eastern areas usually midge free later than western ones.

Wind and rain help against midges - but they don't help cycling - swings and roundabouts

Last edited:
I dont wish to patronise here - but have you actually properly been to the Scottish Highlands, and Islands?? g
Well I fear you are having a teensy good go at it, complete with smattered emoticons. Or haven't read my post/s. Yes I have been over the area twice. And out to many of the islands, including Harris, Lewis, and the Shetlands. And have wildcamped in several places by bike, verges by roadsides, woods etetc etc. And have wildcamped in scotland, including by loch lomond. But before the controls came in. Hence my question.

My question about the smartphone was clearly to try to figure what the authorities might be able to claim was your forewarning about their control areas. For if there are no signs and you don't have a smartphone with you, or haven't looked at their web page in the ether, how can you be said to have broken any rules? As far as I am aware it is not yet compulsory for citizens to carry smartphones. I would wager that I make less use of them than you. Have never yet used one to find a camping kip using one. If planned ride goes a tad wonky, I just look around for a place with no warning signs.

So here we are again.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well I fear you are having a teensy good go at it, complete with smattered emoticons. Or haven't read my post/s. Yes I have been over the area twice. And out to many of the islands, including Harris, Lewis, and the Shetlands. And have wildcamped in several places by bike, verges by roadsides, woods etetc etc. And have wildcamped in scotland, including by loch lomond. But before the controls came in. Hence my question.

My question about the smartphone was clearly to try to figure what the authorities might be able to claim was your forewarning about their control areas. For if there are no signs and you don't have a smartphone with you, or haven't looked at their web page in the ether, how can you be said to have broken any rules? As far as I am aware it is not yet compulsory for citizens to carry smartphones. I would wager that I make less use of them than you. Have never yet used one to find a camping kip using one. If planned ride goes a tad wonky, I just look around for a place with no warning signs.

So here we are again.

Apologies, not meant that way - I was trying to encourage you, in a slightly tongue in cheek way, and it was late.

.. You're right I haven't read all your posts properly,, it just seemed in your last one, that you sounded so wistful for camping by a Loch, any Loch as if it was an unattainable dream, clearly you know its not. .

Definitely use my smart phone too much, for all sorts of nonsense.
And probably emoticons too.. It's just they are there..
How are you supposed to resist the smiley little yellow fellows?

No offence meant (:smile:)

thanks mudstucks - was a tad surprised at the other post as I found all your others very helpful.

Although from a tech background, an early adopter, and use the net a lot, I have only very recently acquired a smartphone, and make little use of it.

Don't plan to use it much while touring either - I prefer the happy happenchance/serendipity approach to touring/planning stays - something will crop up, you will find somewhere nice, probably nicer than an online researched site. Worked for me interrailing as a youth and slept in some damn weird places then. Came to no harm. The "wistful" tone you detected correctly - well remember that idylic spot by a loch. The car freecamping in Scotland was once not too far from a house on a bit of free land, once near loch lomond - halfway between a high road and the loch - must have looked damn odd to folk - big red car with (company) personalised plates, small cheap Vango dome tent. Have pics somewhere but pre digital.
Do I take it you are scottish/scots - and hence your knowledge?

U

User6179

Loch Chon is in the Camping Management Zone so has restrictions during the permit season, at least on the side of the loch that the road is on.

Are you sure? On the website for the zones the only symbol is for a campsite on loch Chon.

U

User6179

I think they are signs on some Lochs, I don't think the whole Loch is covered even if there is a sign, just small problem areas that get overrun.

U

User6179

I think it will be the same as the fishing permits, might even be the same wardens, you just go and pitch the tent and someone comes and asks too see the permit or you pay them?!

rualexander

Legendary Member
Are you sure? On the website for the zones the only symbol is for a campsite on loch Chon.

The Camping Management Zones are shown on the map on the national park website, the areas in brown with hatching.
Here's a crop from the map showing Loch Chon area.
Screenshot_20181125-172814-01.jpeg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
thanks mudstucks - was a tad surprised at the other post as I found all your others very helpful.

Although from a tech background, an early adopter, and use the net a lot, I have only very recently acquired a smartphone, and make little use of it.

Don't plan to use it much while touring either - I prefer the happy happenchance/serendipity approach to touring/planning stays - something will crop up, you will find somewhere nice, probably nicer than an online researched site. Worked for me interrailing as a youth and slept in some damn weird places then. Came to no harm. The "wistful" tone you detected correctly - well remember that idylic spot by a loch. The car freecamping in Scotland was once not too far from a house on a bit of free land, once near loch lomond - halfway between a high road and the loch - must have looked damn odd to folk - big red car with (company) personalised plates, small cheap Vango dome tent. Have pics somewhere but pre digital.
Do I take it you are scottish/scots - and hence your knowledge?

Yes the joy of 'going equipped' its all part of the flexibilty of it - stop when, and where you like - i've ended up in all kinds of unexpected places.

And being able to head off in a totally different direction altogether on a whim - or change of wind - set your own pace - that's another reason i generally tour alone - no one to annoy - or please - but myself - bliss.

I'm actually a South-western Softie - but love visiting Scotland for both touring, and hill walking.
I usually try to get up there once in spring, once in autumn, for a decent length of time.

If it weren't for other commitments, and activities to do, i'd be there more often - That, and the train fare from the other end of the country - but the train trip itself is part of the joy for me

My smart phone is mainly for taking and posting pictures - being a slightly late adopter of such devices - and social media in general - i'm probably still at the intemperate over-usage stage - normally associated with teenagers - despite being somewhat longer in the tooth than that.

Sure your wild camping loch-side dilemmas, such as they are, will soon be properly resolved by the sensible grown-ups on here :smile:

Top Bottom