Can i use Pedigree Chum in a beef stew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
There are and have been plenty of people that have eaten petfood and no known (to me anyway) harm has come to them. But....
See raw product coming into the factory, the trailers / containers are not sanitised as they would be for human consumption, if they're sanitised at all apart from a jet wash perhaps. Where cleaning chemicals are used, they almost certainly won't meet regulations for human consumption.
Some buildings SOME products are manufactured in are wholly unclean. On the flip side, Petfoods former factory in Peterborough was probably cleaner than some human food factories ive worked in.
The machinery is not sanitised as would a machine processing products for our consumption...again, often just a jet wash. Ditto the chemicals used.
Mince chicken waste in those machines, its THE most God awful fatty mess that gets left behind, a devil of a job to clean, let alone properly for human consumption.
The handling of raw product during processing will nowhere near meet regulations for our consumption, often left out in various temperatures, open to flies, wasps etc etc.
There are very very strict regulations following the BSE thing regarding what parts of an animal can...and more importantly most definately cannot be used in human consumption products...i don't know if the same applies to petfood products...although i suspect the same rules apply, they may not be applied so vigorously by dubious suppliers down the chain.

Our factory was producing right at the dirty end of the process...thye stuff Petfoods didnt want to do, but simply farmed it out to maintain the cleanliness of their plant. Its a filthy process whoever does it unless you spend millions.

All that said, ive spent 40 years working in food processing plants....and conditions in human food plants occasionally make you shudder.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have it on good authority that it is a mistake to eat the dog food with added bone meal as the bony bits are inedible and hurt your teeth.

We did make a dog food curry for some food thiefs in university and it made them ill. However that might have been the large dose of laxative, or the fag ends.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well, i didn't try the Pedigree Chum out. I made the stew,minus the Chum, for when i got back from the pub,then fell asleep(it only takes a few pints to knock me out these days), Luckily i warmed it up but had the sense to turn the hob off. Imagine if i'd left it on and the fire alarms went off in this place!:unsure: I think i'll get some proper meat today and add that. Though thinking about it,i kind of wish i had tried it out last night. I might've woke up feeling a big ruff(that's not really funny anymore,is it?)and then peed on the carpet,but i then could've said that i had actually eaten dog food. :okay: xx(

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm a meatatarian, a huge supporter of vegetable rights.
Go for the Lectin Free Diet then.

You'll not "top n'tail" carrots then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom