Can someone help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
We are only allowed to take primary for safety sakes if we can maintain a resonable speed?
What do cyclists do if they can't maintain a resonable speed? get squashed?

Taking primary is all well and good, its your right to do so. However, sometimes common sense should over-rule a blind exercise of "rights".

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Taking primary is all well and good, its your right to do so. However, sometimes common sense over-rules a blind exercise of "rights".

:thumbsup: Be right. Just don't be dead right.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've not watched the video yet but let's not forget that road position is subject to everything around us and not just in front ;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I did the same stretch of road this afternoon after a 25 mile ride along the coast. I was nearly home, and remembered that people had commented on my road positioning. I decided to see how I felt with a less primary position.
Appologies for the fuzziness but it had just poured down and I dont seem to have cleaned the lense very well.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m562/monkeysnutscom/Videos/?action=view¤t=Changestolanepositioning. mp4

Apart from making me feel a little sick because of the blurriness your position looked a lot better.

What the police would do with this depends on what Matthew says when he reports it. AFS is correct when he says it'd be a public order offence at most. This would be the case if the drivers verbal behaviour made Matthew harassed, alarmed or distressed.

If it was given to me, I'd talk to the driver, and try to educate him, regarding both his driving and his later behaviour. However I wouldn't be anticipating a prosecution as Matthew didn't seem particularly scared when he came over, making no attempt to escape, and was quite happy to discuss the matter. Matthew just did it much more civilly than the driver, for which he should receive credit. I would however feel it was worthwhile to speak to the driver as I don't find his behaviour acceptable, but it would be just that - a word.

These would be my opinions. If Matthew wasn't happy with them I'd run them by a supervisor for a final say.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What the police would do with this depends on what Matthew says when he reports it. AFS is correct when he says it'd be a public order offence at most. This would be the case if the drivers verbal behaviour made Matthew harassed, alarmed or distressed.

If it was given to me, I'd talk to the driver, and try to educate him, regarding both his driving and his later behaviour. However I wouldn't be anticipating a prosecution as Matthew didn't seem particularly scared when he came over, making no attempt to escape, and was quite happy to discuss the matter. Matthew just did it much more civilly than the driver, for which he should receive credit. I would however feel it was worthwhile to speak to the driver as I don't find his behaviour acceptable, but it would be just that - a word.

These would be my opinions. If Matthew wasn't happy with them I'd run them by a supervisor for a final say.

Thank you for your input.

My fellings when he came to me were immediately: Is he going to hit me? I am just lucky that I wasnt going any faster because (stupid camera angle) he came runnign across the road, and if I had tryed to ride away, he would have probably grabbed me or hit me.

The way he was speaking to me offended me greatly, that is the reason why I did not say much, I was too taken back. When he started to shout at me in order to get a response, I was certainly scared that he would do something more than shout. Saying "No" was a natural reaction.

I have had compliments from people on the way I handled it, but that was purely to me feeling intimidated by his behaviuor.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If anything your position is worse.

- Your filtering at the start is very poor. Where were you going? There didn't appear to be an ASL and there was no space.
- You cycle in the door zone passed the parked cars. You could take a strong position at this point as well, as there is no way that the car behind you can overtake take you with oncoming cars.

On the plus you do move over to the left once you have passed some parked cars, but i don't personally see the point as anyone who overtook you there would then be an arse for doing a pointless overtake.

apollo179

That may be the politic thing to say but isnt the reality that Mat should just put it down to experience. If it was reported to you every time 2 people squared up youd never have a minutes peace. If i was in that van drivers shoes and the police turned up on my door i woudnt be to impressed myself. I appreciate your good intentions but the police are duty bound to investigate complaints and in view of this maybe we shoudnt encourage people to go to the police over handbags type stuff (with all respeck to mat).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
If anything your position is worse.

- Your filtering at the start is very poor. Where were you going? There didn't appear to be an ASL and there was no space.
- You cycle in the door zone passed the parked cars. You could take a strong position at this point as well, as there is no way that the car behind you can overtake take you with oncoming cars.

I agree that at the start, I maybe shouldnt have filtered, but the lights changed directly after I had filtered past one car. I should have anticipated the lights changing and just waited.

It may seem that I was cycling in the door zone but I can assure you that I was prepared for anything to happen.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That may be the politic thing to say but isnt the reality that Mat should just put it down to experience. If it was reported to you every time 2 people squared up youd never have a minutes peace. If i was in that van drivers shoes and the police turned up on my door i woudnt be to impressed myself. I appreciate your good intentions but the police are duty bound to investigate complaints and in view of this maybe we shoudnt encourage people to go to the police over handbags type stuff (with all respeck to mat).

The police arent just there for major emergencies, they are a service. The fire brigade deal with small bin fires to building fires. The ambulance service deal with a number of incidents which may seem minor, but in the end it is a service that they provide.

The police would be servicing me if they were to take my case seriously and deal with the driver in an appropriate mannor. The driver was very threatening and went out of his way to tailgate me, and then park up just so he could have a go at me and try to scare me into riding like he wants me to.

BSRU

A Human Being
I've just been able to watch the first video with sound, the driver was swearing his head and talking in a very threatening/aggresive manor to get the answer he wanted.

Top Bottom