Can you force a council to maintain a cycle path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
There is a lovely off-road cycle route, part of NCR5, between my house and the nearest town. Lovely, that is, that it is so narrow that as soon as summer hits it is entirely overgrown. Only one bike can just about pass and if I take mini-KB in the trailer it mean any oncoming cyclist requires both of us disappearing into the nettles and brambles.

It has got to the stage I can't take mini-KB any more because she understandably cries about the brambles and nettles hitting the trailer. So it is either 60mph roads, or driving. Ugh.

It has been reported multiple times to Oxfordshire County Council and they have moved from saying they only cut it once a year, to saying it will be cut again at the end of August, to it might be cut sooner.

What it really needs of course is for everything to be cleared back properly so tarmac is wider. Do the council have a duty to maintain a certain path width? I cannot help but feel this would not happen if a road was overgrown...

Thoughts welcome.

ff08m1.jpg

29e5g15.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I report that kind of thing via www.fillthathole.org.uk, usually with good results.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
@glasgowcyclist It has been reported many times on FixMyStreet without much happening. Indeed on most of them the council has replied "We're going to mark it fixed. We haven't actually fixed it, but we've logged it."

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/1073555#update_1235373

@User it is probably about 400m in length, too long to do by hand unfortunately. I have even considered buying a petrol lawnmower and doing it myself but I do not really have the room to store lawnmowers for occasional path clearances.

@Drago I might do, only thing is that any local paper article is met with "Don't pay road tax, clear it yourself", "No helmet in pictures OMG" and "Bet he jumps all the red lights on that stretch of path". I am trying to see if it can be solved without recourse to dullards.

Drago

Legendary Member
Morally though, the Carncil's priorities are skewed. Maintain the roads (or not) so the cagers can spew out fumes unfettered and get fatter by the day, they the unemployed or elderly who might not be able to afford a car have to tiptoe through the triffids.

[RANT]As a society the whole infrastructure is geared towards car use, making it easier and more attractive, when national health, the economy, the environment, and social development of communities all require exactly the opposite.[/RANT]

classic33

Leg End Member
Ask about clearing it yourself, for the reason you gave above(young child being injured whilst on it). The fact the council won't maintain it, is what has caused the injury.

An afternoon with a slasher should see it clear. If they ask how long it may take and how do you intend to do it.

Ask if you'd be done for fly-tipping if you left it for the council to clear away once cut.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cycle tracks, pavements and back alleys don't seem to be getting maintained at all up here. Some residents have taken to doing it themselves and are encouraging others to do the same on FaceBook. I saw a lady the other day having a similar problem to the OP; narrow pavement, loads of brambles and a toddler in a pushchair. Maybe the wise thing to do is take secateurs out and snip as you go. Certainly a more immediate solution to waiting for the local council to do anything. I'm guessing (and it is a guess) that the councils are strapped for cash and have higher priorities.

Tin Pot

Guru
There is a lovely off-road cycle route, part of NCR5, between my house and the nearest town. Lovely, that is, that it is so narrow that as soon as summer hits it is entirely overgrown. Only one bike can just about pass and if I take mini-KB in the trailer it mean any oncoming cyclist requires both of us disappearing into the nettles and brambles.

It has got to the stage I can't take mini-KB any more because she understandably cries about the brambles and nettles hitting the trailer. So it is either 60mph roads, or driving. Ugh.

It has been reported multiple times to Oxfordshire County Council and they have moved from saying they only cut it once a year, to saying it will be cut again at the end of August, to it might be cut sooner.

What it really needs of course is for everything to be cleared back properly so tarmac is wider. Do the council have a duty to maintain a certain path width? I cannot help but feel this would not happen if a road was overgrown...

Thoughts welcome.

View attachment 362856

View attachment 362857

Find a councillor, take them by the scruff of the neck and rub their noses in it.

I find that works, but make sure you still feed them regularly.

Tiger10

Über Member
If it was a public footpath across farmland they would be onto me to clear it too the legal width immediately even if it was there responsibility!! So i see no reason this shoudn't be the case. Is it not a footpath also? There are stipulated widths and if so they should be cleared as needed.

Wasting your time.
I live on a cycle route that is part of the wilts cycle route and the national. Every corner has piles of loose grit, the potholes are a county disgrace. About 15 years ago I sat down and swatted up on the law books for any angle. I found several and took out a summons against the council for failing to maintain among other things.
first they'l backpeddle and stall.
then they start to threaten with costs if they win, which magically increase with every hearing;they were full of tricks. When the costs they intended to claim hit 6K I gave up.
One problem , the inches deep all year round running water did get fixed, but different events,two men dead, led to that.

We all have a right "to pass and repass safely on the queens highway" without let and hindrance. The Authority responsible has a statutory responsiblity to maintain the Queens Highway which also includes public footpaths and bridleways.

You may as well piss into the wind, unless you have very deep pockets.

I have lived on this stretch ofcycle route for over 20 years before it was even designated a cycle route and the number of cyclists using it has dropped noticeably, it would seem word has got around to avoid it.

Its in Wiltshire before you ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If it's part of an NCR I'd get on to Sustrans about it being near impassible. If nothing else they'll possibly have a bit more clout with the council.
Or they might even be able to spirit up a ranger and some volunteers to clear it back - maybe you could volunteer to volunteer?

Top Bottom