Car is dead, so back to cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Whilst I'm not condoning Matthew's driving 'skills'... how many of those berating him can honestly say they didn't go through a bit of a boy-racer phase when they got their first car? Most drivers I've known for long enough to remember drove like dicks when they were teenagers.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think the massively high premiums take into account young driver antics. The figures are not solely based on statistics. Presumptions are made.

PK99

Legendary Member
I think the massively high premiums take into account young driver antics. The figures are not solely based on statistics. Presumptions are made.

Yes, antics like yours! That's why my sensible daughter cannot afford insurance - twots like you!

Btw, the antics are borne out in the accident statistics. If ever you become a statistic, I'm sorry, buy my view will be it serves you bloody well right!

http://www.brake.org.uk/info-resour...ources/facts/488-young-drivers-the-hard-facts

GrasB

Veteran
Whilst I'm not condoning Matthew's driving 'skills'... how many of those berating him can honestly say they didn't go through a bit of a boy-racer phase when they got their first car? Most drivers I've known for long enough to remember drove like dicks when they were teenagers.
I've never stopped being a racer... on track. On the road, never! I had exposure to proper motorsport driving/riding before I could hold any kind of road driving licence.

The cheapest quote I get always involves getting a black box. Something which I am very happy to do. Because if you drive like a muppet, the insurance will go up, but if you drive well, it goes down.
With my inexperience, I am not going to be blaring around the streets immediately because I know what I am and am not capable of.

First quote was when Matthew first passed his test.

MontyVeda

I've never stopped being a racer... on track. On the road, never! I had exposure to proper motorsport driving/riding before I could hold any kind of road driving licence.
That's very commendable, but most young drivers don't have access to such experiences. What is it they say? You only really start to learn to drive after you've passed your test. Boy-racer syndrome exists. Whether it's a minority or a majority of young drivers I've no idea... but it does seem to be a mostly male phenomena.

GrasB

Veteran
That's very commendable, but most young drivers don't have access to such experiences.
Yeah, I probably got the boy racer phase out of me when I was 13 or 14. Of course all the driving time before I for my licence was heavily supervised. Also saw the results of some proper hard knocks at low speeds.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll fully admit to having had my moments. Some were harmless fun, others I look back on and wonder what I was thinking about. I did do my handbrake turns on empty car parks though, not on the open road.

What I take issue with here is Matthew having spent so long having a go at bad drivers, but for some reason it's perfectly okay for him to do the same sort of daft things.:stop: (Moaning about the driver overtaking him while admitting that he is over the speed limit himself? Seriously? :huh:)

Basically Matthew you need to practice what you preach. Don't go falling into the trap of thinking that you are more in control than anyone else. How about having a go at Karting if you want some thrills? Within reasonable driving distance I'm aware of tracks in Chester, Wrexham, on the A5 between Betws and Corwen and there is also also Rednall near Oswestry if you're prepared to drive a little further..

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Is your new car going to be yellow?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Never, doing handbrake turns on public roads makes you more than a dick, sorry but its true. Filming it and posting on youtube makes it even worse.

Race tracks, skid pans, go karting then act like a dick. 2tonne of motor on public roads, behave and dont put others at risk

Hes an idiotic twonk in my eyes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I see a total moron with complete disregard for public roads demonstrating 0 driving skills doing trail brake spins in totally the wrong place!

There is a time & place for messing around in a car & the public road no matter how quiet is NOT. Messing about like that is reserved for off-road locations such as disused airfields or skid pans.

If I am not mistaken, that handbrake turn is on Prestatyn Hill ? I.e its bloody steep, and you had just come off the 25% section.

Its still stupid steep on the hairpin, the video won't do it justice. It is a hill to kill yourself on riding a bike, but not by a motorist.

MontyVeda

Just because many young men drive like idiots when they get their licences, it doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise them.

Nobody's suggesting don't criticise it. What I'm wondering is what drives the urge to drive recklessly. Is it just a confidence thing? Male bravado? An uncontrolable urge to suss out a vehicle's limits? Having never held a licence and only ever had a go in a car park, I've not been through the boy-racer thing either. Although I have been a passenger in a boy-racer's car enough times to know how feckin scary they can be.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeah, I probably got the boy racer phase out of me when I was 13 or 14. Of course all the driving time before I for my licence was heavily supervised. Also saw the results of some proper hard knocks at low speeds.

I bought a good pedal bike before I got into cars. The car was used to transport bikes to races.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
28-fingers-in-ears.jpg

Top Bottom