Carradice bags - are they a faff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member

Here are my two main bags. The Barley stays on the bike, the Cadet is on QR and goes on if shoppi is needed.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I inherited this from my Dad (so in true Carradice manner, it outlasted him). Never used it as it didn't seem to go on my somewhat fancy carbon road bike. Sold it a few weeks back so it's gone to a good home.

View attachment 576859
Still have mine really useful bag , only problem the Velcro straps have worn out . So I now resort to some luggage straps if I want to arrive home with it still attached to my rack :laugh:.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I would be interested to know if any of you owners are below 50 years old or ride a carbon bike with your Carradice.
Over 50, no carbon framed bikes, no Ti frame either. I have a Carradice (Nelson longflap?), but as I don't get on with Brookes or similar saddles, the bag is sitting in the store room. I like the idea, of a Carradice, but instead use one of those modern Ortlieb 4L saddle bags which I can swap easily between bikes.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am 50+ but have used Carridice way before I was 50 purely because they do what they are made to do and are rewaxable, repairable with no dicking about. I have a robust tourer that is daily transport, holiday vehicle, shopper and everything in between. I would not have a carbon frame as I'd break it.

SGG on a bike

Plenty of youngsters* riding "retro" stuff now like steel bikes with Carradice luggage and Brooks saddles. It's the latest hipster trend!

(25yolds who look ancient due to their massive beards)

If that's the case, it's the first time in my life I've ever been trendy and I'm waaaaay past 25! ^_^

contadino

Veteran
I have an Emma (Barley, bought when I was mid-30s) and what looks like Athena (Camper Longflap, hard to read, bought maybe 5 years ago when I would have been 47.) Both used on steel bikes, cos that's all I got. No beard.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Over 50, no carbon framed bikes, no Ti frame either. I have a Carradice (Nelson longflap?), but as I don't get on with Brookes or similar saddles, the bag is sitting in the store room. I like the idea, of a Carradice, but instead use one of those modern Ortlieb 4L saddle bags which I can swap easily between bikes.
I use my Nelson LF and Barley with a bagman quick release , I don’t like the way they fit when just hanging on bag loops. Just checked the price of Bagman QR. OUCH HOW MUCH :eek:.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think the hanging from bag loops thing worked better with old clubman and tourer seat angles of 70 or 71 degrees. Most road-going bikes now have 73 deg seat angles, regardless of their intended use, and this brings the bag into contact with the rider's thighs if you can't get the saddle far enough back to compensate. Brooks saddles have short rails, which exacerbates the problem - I bet most Carradice owners have a Brooks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think the hanging from bag loops thing worked better with old clubman and tourer seat angles of 70 or 71 degrees. Most road-going bikes now have 73 deg seat angles, regardless of their intended use, and this brings the bag into contact with the rider's thighs if you can't get the saddle far enough back to compensate. Brooks saddles have short rails, which exacerbates the problem - I bet most Carradice owners have a Brooks.
My two Carradice owning mates do. :becool:

Top Bottom