Cars, choices, apathy and inevitability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Costly to run? Not so sure about that, no one want big vehicles so they depreciate like an elevator in death valley. Buy a 3 year old and the ten grand saved buys you years of motoring.

I agree without about soft roader rubbish. Useless off road, not as good on road as a conventional car, why bother? If you want a car, buy a car, if you want a fourbie, buy a proper fourbie. This soft roader sheet is for people that think they're Ranulph Fiennes but in reality are more Reggie Perrin. Combine the worst aspects of 2 different types of vehicles was a stupid idea.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Having ruled out Fords and Skodas, you've probably ruled out the best choices.
Would probably go with the Seat Alhambra if I was in your situation.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

What's wrong with Skodas? Although none will probably meet your needs

All people carriers have a nausea inducing ride in my experience (from taxis, might be the magic tree overload however, probably be the same with over perfumed teenagers xx(xx(xx()

Given your responses to date, I think you'll be looking at a very short short list? Sharanbragalaxy variant?
Nothing. That's why I said, irrational dislike :smile: I quite like the Yeti but it isn't big enough and I suspect it's quite pricey too.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

VW group, so good spares availability, and cheap end of the market.
I think it may be just outside the budget, as currently set, which is why it never made the short list. Same with S-max and a couple of others.

vickster

Legendary Member
BMW 5 series estate? Not cheap to run, although good diesels. Take a lot of crap. Think have 3 proper seats. Audi A6 too

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hyundai i30 Estate. The diesels in particular are very good, with plenty of poke, but give excellent mileage. The cars themselves are surprisingly roomy.

The build quality is, of course, excellent.

It would be on my list of desirable estates but estates are out.

Vauxhall Zafira. Although if you are ruling out Fords, I can't see why you should rule in Vauxhalls.

I drove one and didn't like it and can't warm to them since.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ignoring the fact you mentioned estates were out :hello: then I would say the Skoda Octavia Estate or the slightly larger Skoda Superb estate

We tried the people carrier MPV route a while back (Hyuandai Trajet) and I wish I had never done it as the 4 or 5 times a year it was full was just not worth the additional yearly running costs.

Top Bottom