Cars, choices, apathy and inevitability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
We have just got a new VW T5 Caravelle.
We had a T4 for 12 years (bought it at 4 years old) and sold it for £2200 less than we paid for it, apart from a relay & a couple of door solenoids it was just general service stuff so not expensive motoring at all really.
Just hope the new one is as good!

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Three student bus passes?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'd be very careful about the C4 Grande Picasso.
We have one, and it's a practical, comfortable car with shed loads of room. WHEN IT WORKS. They are definately made out of recycled egg boxes by itennerant French peasants... even more so than the earlier picassos.

Ours has had several serious and expensive failures.... and isn't alone. If you do go for one avoid the EGS electronic clutch ones - they are not reliable, and make sure the cambelt has been changed on any of the petrol versions well before 50k irrespective of the service schedule (trust me on this, a new engine is not cheap).

Our next motor will NOT be French... probably a Kia Sedona or Carens as everyone else i know who has one is most impressed.

Venod

Eh up
Son has 3 children of his own + 2 inherited, so he traded in his Seat Cupra for a Nissan Quashqai +2, I was that impressed I traded in our Citroen Belingo for one (not a +2) it has plenty of room, I don't look at as a faux 4x4 but as a large hatchback, the most important bit is the bike fits in the back although not as easily as the Belingo, the wife never liked the Belingo so it had to go.

jnrmczip

This is my answer to family space which I am after at the moment as little hatch back with 3 kids the better half just doesn't cut it now. Can be picked up at reasonable prices too if you look around

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-13-18-39-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-13-18-39-01.png
    99 KB · Views: 43

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
P's I will be getting a Manuel though never really liked automatic

Is he from Barcelona?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Just buy her a new pair of shoes and some chocs...sorted and cheaper :smile:

Tourans are quite small I'd say...and seriously dull

Seriously dull: It's perfect then!

She has shoes, most of which are in permanent migration, by themselves. Finding the other migratory half is nearly as popular as 'have you seen my car keys?'

[QUOTE 3642309, member: 45"]It's tough to get something on-budget with low mileage and adult seats in the back. Now that most people are going for fold-flat seats even contenders like the Galaxy don't have the room that they used to. If I were you and really looking to change then I'd be looking at the best, previous model Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan that I could find.[/QUOTE]

I think finding a low mileage one in budget is tricky. The Alhambra is probably the most affordable.

Three student bus passes?

I don't do that much ferrying any more, they are mostly independent. I just have to provide food at irregular nocturnal schedules.

Son has 3 children of his own + 2 inherited, so he traded in his Seat Cupra for a Nissan Quashqai +2, I was that impressed I traded in our Citroen Belingo for one (not a +2) it has plenty of room, I don't look at as a faux 4x4 but as a large hatchback, the most important bit is the bike fits in the back although not as easily as the Belingo, the wife never liked the Belingo so it had to go.

They are definitely out of budget

This is my answer to family space which I am after at the moment as little hatch back with 3 kids the better half just doesn't cut it now. Can be picked up at reasonable prices too if you look around

They're huge and expensive to run. The Sportage we had cost nearly 180 a tyre, crazy prices. It went as soon as we didn't need it.

Mrs McG had a Zafira for about 5 years and apart from £250 for a new part for the air-conditioning unit it cost nothing apart from the usual tax/fuel/mot etc.
Is the Zafira duller than the Touran? We might have to flip a coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'd be very careful about the C4 Grande Picasso.
We have one, and it's a practical, comfortable car with shed loads of room. WHEN IT WORKS. They are definately made out of recycled egg boxes by itennerant French peasants... even more so than the earlier picassos.

Ours has had several serious and expensive failures.... and isn't alone. If you do go for one avoid the EGS electronic clutch ones - they are not reliable, and make sure the cambelt has been changed on any of the petrol versions well before 50k irrespective of the service schedule (trust me on this, a new engine is not cheap).

Our next motor will NOT be French... probably a Kia Sedona or Carens as everyone else i know who has one is most impressed.
So far, I've been lucky with Citroens. Two later and I've yet to have a problem but your comments are noted, especially as my service is overdue on the C3.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've got a Qashqai +2. 2 litre diesel. 5 years old from new no real problems, just passed its MOT again without drama, but it is quite heavy on tyres, 3 sets in 65k miles & neither of us are daft drivers - original set were dire on anything but smooth dry roads.

Its a comfortable leggy car for laden cruising & happy to roll round town at 20 & 30 or for Mrs commuting all day too. It takes 5 teens / adults well enough. The boot 2 seats really are child only 8-9 is max really as they're dips in the floor rather than AlhambraSharanGalaxy type 3rd row.

It'll take a bike, wheels off with a bit of luggage in the boot or a couple+ intact with the seats down.

I hesitate to recommend it to you @Crackle as it would be just about big enough for what you ask but only just & not better than what you have.

If I were looking bigger I'd consider the Toyota Previa.

Top Bottom