Cars, choices, apathy and inevitability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My personal view on a Hyandai's is that it would have to be a cold day in hell before I ever considered getting another one of those. Once the 5 year warranty is up ongoing repairs are staggering......

OP
OP
C

Crackle

We tried the people carrier MPV route a while back (Hyuandai Trajet) and I wish I had never done it as the 4 or 5 times a year it was full was just not worth the additional yearly running costs.
You know what: This has been my very argument why we don't need to change. I'm still not convinced that I'm wrong. I may have that discussion with mrs C again. I won't mention Skodas though.

Slioch

Guru
Problem sorted........:okay:

Charabanc.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crackle

So far, my options are:-

Not change: I can get three squashed teenagers in the back, a roofbox and two bikes on top, I can tow a trailer if needed and get two more bikes on a back rack. I could even get the dog in the back on occasion and still do 70 on the motorway (sans trailer :smile: ). Not bad for a car made of cheese and cardboard.

Change: -

An estate, same squashed teenager problem but more luggage room
An mpv: c4, alhambra, touran, 5008 are the only ones I have on my list of in budget and mileage and running costs.

I'm no nearer and my head still hurts.

vickster

Legendary Member
You know what: This has been my very argument why we don't need to change. I'm still not convinced that I'm wrong. I may have that discussion with mrs C again. I won't mention Skodas though.
Just buy her a new pair of shoes and some chocs...sorted and cheaper :smile:

Tourans are quite small I'd say...and seriously dull

Hi
To seat five in comfort is a problem, you either squash 3 on the back seat or have an extra row of seats. The extra (third) row can then be a bit cramped and not very good on a long run.
Sounds like you are not too bothered about cars so really not much point going for an expensive make. Generally just about all cars are good these days. The Espace (and longer Grand Espace) has to be a contender. Others are Peugeot 807 and 5008 that both have 3 rows of seats.

As an alternative you may not have thought of the Mercedes R Class is an option. It is sort of Espace size with three rows of seats.

Kia sportage?
That was our choice for a " fit it all in" vehicle, but mr6 decided looking good was more important and we bought a golf gti.

We bught a KIa Sedona as it was already kitted out as a mobility vehicle, but it is a large beast with lots of room.

We can fit in 4 adults with luggage and the motorised wheelchair!

With no wheelchair and the seats restored it will take 7

Slioch

Guru
What about something like an old Toyota Previa. Friends of ours have got one for carting multiple kids + dogs + paraphenalia about, and it's massive inside. A bit like the Tardis.

I've always fancied one for myself. I do a lot of one night camping all year round and I would use it to sleep in during the winter rather than faff about pitching a tent in the dark, with loads of room left for walking/climbing/cycling gear.

You can pick them up reasonably cheaply and have it as a second car to use when you need to do a fully loaded trip.

Guy I worked with is on his 4th or 5th Sedona (one was written off in an accident on a French motorway). He constantly banged on about how good it was at carrying stuff on long journeys (european trips on a regular basis). Seemed comfy and spacious on my one journey in it.
Mind, he is a very boring person.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hi
To seat five in comfort is a problem, you either squash 3 on the back seat or have an extra row of seats. The extra (third) row can then be a bit cramped and not very good on a long run.
Sounds like you are not too bothered about cars so really not much point going for an expensive make. Generally just about all cars are good these days. The Espace (and longer Grand Espace) has to be a contender. Others are Peugeot 807 and 5008 that both have 3 rows of seats.

As an alternative you may not have thought of the Mercedes R Class is an option. It is sort of Espace size with three rows of seats.
807 might be worth a look and the 5008 was on the list. They stopped making the Espace it seems, so it's getting harder to find a low mileage one. I'll check the Merc out.

Top Bottom