Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
I'm much the same, but without the note in my phone because i don't bother taking that many places either. I like to travel light. Just a cash card and a pair of glasses.

Technically I don’t need the phone or card, my watch can do it all.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I have been trying to get tickets for Albert Lee and there is no cash option even visiting the box office in person! Very irritating in the extreme.

I know this is a couple of years ago but the bass player on this tour is likely to have been my nephew, as seen here:

Round here I have seen a trend towards minimum spend for credit/debit cards starting to appear

Chippie has introduced a minimum £10 spend

reminds me - wife is having her hair done this afternoon - bet she has forgotten to get cash out - they have never taken cards at all!!!!
(which means I end up dashing to the cash machine for her - guess whose bank account it ends up coming out of!!!!)

Windle

Über Member
Cynical me reckons cash only cafes and hairdressers only declare a minor part of their income.

It's not just you that's cynical, although it's surprising how many folk are naïve to such shenanigans and don't realise they're paying more tax as a result. Then there are those shops that take in thousands a day despite having bugger all customers, you'd think the HMRC would be all over them like a rash. So in many ways cashless would seem to be the best option for everyone.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I'm out riding I always have some cash on me. Some little shops out in the sticks aren't cashless. Admittedly they are getting fewer but I have been asked for cash at a couple of little stores.

markemark

Über Member
Yep. The grey economy. One reason governments wants to reduce cash. It's estimated to be around 10% of the UK economy. From small independent shops to builders - cash in hand.

As the renowned economist Del Boy once wrote....No income tax, not VAT, no money back.....

Alex321

Veteran
Round here I have seen a trend towards minimum spend for credit/debit cards starting to appear

That is something which used to be the case when Credit cards first started being used, then gradually fell away. But in those days, charges to the merchant for credit card transaction were rather high, while now they are comparable to cash transactions.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
A friend visited recently and enquired if I had a Samsung cable to charge his phone as he'd forgotten his. I did (or he could have bought one). It was for the train e-ticket on his phone.

In the race towards a cashless, fully dependent - on - phones society, I think folk might want to consider some advice from one of my favourite movie quotes, 'The more you overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain' (CC challenge, which movie??:okay:).

Top Bottom