Cassette removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick_B

I'm trying to remove my cassette. Shimano 9 speed Hyperglide. I've watched the youtube vids, bought the chain whip & lockring tool, and am using a decent sized adjustable spanner.

So I get the whip on and insert the lockring tool but can't get the darn thing to turn. Tried WD40, standing on the spanner and whip handle, profanities, but no luck. One chainwhip broke in the process. (Decathlon in Stockport replaced it without any hassle).

Does this sound normal? Any ideas?

Plan B is to take the wheel into the LBS that fitted the cassette.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Assuming you are turning it the right way then it should not be on that tight,i use a chain whip and a bog standard adjustable along with the appropriate cassette removal tool .(Mind you i can get my screw on freewheel off easy enough i i hear they can be tough ) ..

If in doubt take it to the LBS ,if it was cross threaded etc when put on you could do damage trying to use brute force to get it off .

Number14

Guru
Had a simlilar problem with a seized lockring. Ended up putting the cassette tool into a vice and putting the wheel on top ofit. Still took a lot of effort to shift it.

dhague

I had tons of trouble doing the same job just a few days ago. As long as I tried "cassette away from you, lockring spanner & chainwhip at 180 degrees, push both down" it wouldn't budge, even with liberal application of GT85 and some patience. Eventually I moved the lockring spanner through 160 degrees so that I could squeeze the chainwhip handle & spanner handle together, and that did the trick.

Hope this helps,
Darren

ACS

Legendary Member
Went through the very same exercise last week. Took two 15 stone blokes huffing and puffing to shift the locking ring. Just lots of pressure, sweat and a moderate amount of industrial anglo-saxon (a must in these type situations) before there was a crack and off it spun.

OP
OP
N

Nick_B

Thanks for all the advice. I have had the whip and spanner at 180 degrees to get my weight to push down. Will try the narrower angle approach. What's the most effective anglo-saxon terminology in such a situation?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
it shoudn't be that tight, but sometimes they are :biggrin: I had one previously that I could not shift, thought it was me being a dumbass, but was relieved when the lbs had to use a 4' extention on the tool to get some leverage on it & even then it took some shifting

GrasB

Veteran
Not had this one for a while but a 1200mm breaker bar with socket to fit on the cassette tool (or you've had the forethought to buy one with a 1/2" drive socket in to start with), a block of wood & something nice n' soft like an old pillow you don't want. Get tension on the chain whip & place the handle up against your shin with the wood & pillow in between. Then pull on the breaker bar handle, I found it best to have the breaker bar at about 20 degrees from vertical away from my body.

ACS

Legendary Member
Nick_B said:
Thanks for all the advice. I have had the whip and spanner at 180 degrees to get my weight to push down. Will try the narrower angle approach. What's the most effective anglo-saxon terminology in such a situation?

Expressions about parentage, female anatomy and any words ending in *uck. Hope this helps. May be worth throwing in a couple of sexual type expressions about man love. This always helps. :ohmy::evil:

GrasB

Veteran
Steve Austin said:
I've never had any problems removing cassettes. Ggrrr!
I've never had a problem removing a cassette that I've installed with coppa slip & torqued down properly... some of the more back street LBS' or home mechanic however is a different matter as they don't tend to use anti-sieze compounds & over torque everything to 'be sure'.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I always find a big hammer quite helpful. Seriously. The sudden impact can sometimes break the 'bind' where any amount of steady force fails.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I couldnt get a screw on freewheel off my old hybrid. Guy in bike shop put the socket in the vice then used the wheel itself to turn it off

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Banjo said:
I couldnt get a screw on freewheel off my old hybrid. Guy in bike shop put the socket in the vice then used the wheel itself to turn it off

I have some like that and used that technique. Unfortunately the Workmate I'd clamped my vice in broke two legs and no movement from the freewheels :tongue:

I'll be up to the LBS when I can be &rsed.

Top Bottom