CC Jodrell Bank Run Spring 2012 - SUNDAY 22nd April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's okay folks - I'm alive! :hello:

Thanks for organising the ride fossy - I enjoyed myself apart from that first half deluge and my right leg packing up late in the second half (the second forum ride on the trot :sad:)! It was nice meeting you and the other unfamiliar faces. Very special thanks to DiddlyDodds for giving me a lift there and back, providing tomato soup, Jaffa cakes and mini-doughnuts on the drive home, and for being good company. I hope you manage to get a chance to join us on future forum rides DD, though weekend time away from your family is limited - I'll try and give you a month's notice of a summer forum ride.

Not much can be done about the rain, other than arranging forum rides on Tenerife? :whistle:

As for my leg problem - I'm pretty sure that it is due to a combination of hip arthritis and a circulation problem due to a varicose vein and both of those would be helped by losing a lot of weight. The strain I'm putting on myself by lugging 3 or 4 stone of extra weight about isn't helping one little bit.

The disappointing thing is - I was actually feeling better and better as the ride went on until the pain struck. I am definitely getting fitter and starting to get that 'frisky' feeling on the bike again, for example when I see a little rise in the road and get the urge to power my way up it as quickly as I can. I was riding along talking to dr_pink and spotted one of those and oomph - I shot up it. Did it again a couple of times and then suddenly felt a tell-tale twinge in the top of my right leg and soon after that, the stabbing pains started. It really feels like someone has just stuck a knife in. It's bad enough on quiet roads, but I was getting pretty scared on busy roads in Wilmslow because I was becoming a risk to myself and other road users. Every time we had to stop and start at lights, my leg went. One time, I couldn't get going and veered across from the right lane to the left. I was lucky not to get hit by someone.

Just like last weekend, once I got home I was struggling for a few hours with my painful leg in the evening, but it is okay today. My muscles feel great, which is pleasing considering I did 72 miles yesterday, 6 of which were admittedly 'cheat' miles downhill from Blackstone Edge to Mytholmroyd after I got DD to drop me off at the top.

I'll have to make a more serious attempt to lose weight. I am about 4 kg down on my peak, but still about 20 above where I'd like to be. In the meantime, I'll have to be careful not to push my leg too hard, will spin lower gears where possible, avoid violent efforts, and will probably carry some Ibuprofen for emergency use.

Let's see how I get on on Ajay's ride next Saturday. (Come and join us - it should be great!)

Judderz

After missing out on this ride due to work, I finished work on the Sunday at 10.30am, rushed home, got ready and went out myself with a couple of friends for a 41mile ride...and I too got very wet :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll have to be careful not to push my leg too hard, will spin lower gears where possible, avoid violent efforts, and will probably carry some Ibuprofen for emergency use

Colin, I'm no doctor but I believe the use of Ibuprofen is cumalative. Yes it is a pain reliever, but it is also an anti-inflamatory, so it might be worth using it a day or 2 before a ride to get it into your system and give your joints the best chance. Obviously seek medical advice to back this up but my wife used to suffer from pretty bad hip joint pain and using Ibuprofen in this way allowed her to do some medium intensity aerobic type sessions that wouldhave been impossible without medication.

I hope you can manage this problem in the long term.Forum rides won't be the same without your contributions.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, I'm no doctor but I believe the use of Ibuprofen is cumalative. Yes it is a pain reliever, but it is also an anti-inflamatory, so it might be worth using it a day or 2 before a ride to get it into your system and give your joints the best chance. Obviously seek medical advice to back this up but my wife used to suffer from pretty bad hip joint pain and using Ibuprofen in this way allowed her to do some medium intensity aerobic type sessions that wouldhave been impossible without medication.
Yes, I was reading about it earlier. Trouble is, it can do nasty things to you if you over do it - a friend of mine developed an ulcer which perforated and almost killed him after using Ibuprofen for a few weeks after breaking a finger. A few days here and there should be okay though.

I've known for a long time that trouble was brewing with my hips. I started developing minor discomfort over 10 years ago and had them x-rayed and the signs of osteoarthritis were already there. I still liked to go for the occasional run back then but running really started to trigger off the aches and pains so I had to stop that. So far, hill walking and general cycling haven't caused me any problems, but my joints are in need of some TLC now!

My dad was crippled by OA in his late 50s, i.e. the age I am now, so it is a bit scary though I am nowhere near as bad as he was (yet). He was put off having hip ops after an unfortunate conversation with someone in a wheelchair after his replacements failed. We tried telling him that most people don't have an outcome like that but he wouldn't listen.

I've kind of accepted that I will need hip replacement surgery at some point, but am hoping that it might be in my late-60s/early-70s and have one pair to last me the rest of my life. If it gets to the point before then that my general mobility becomes affected or I can no longer go cycling, then I would definitely get myself sorted out.

I hope you can manage this problem in the long term.Forum rides won't be the same without your contributions.
Oh, it's very nice of you to say that! :blush:

TBH - my life wouldn't be the same without the forum rides, not only because I enjoy the cycling but because touring the local hills and cafes with you lot is pretty much 75% of my social life these days!

lecabnoir

Guys, I just wanted to say thanks for allowing me on your forum ride. You were a really friendly bunch and I had a great time. I also learnt some very important things.
  • I need to go shopping for.......
    • Warmer gloves.
    • A more waterproof coat.
    • Overshoes.
By the time we got to Jodrell Bank I was shaking so much from the cold that everyone else there must have thought I was epileptic :hyper:

My legs have recovered now so I'm looking forward to my next venture out, although as I also like walking its likely to be up some very steep hills, possibly a mountain.

Keep me in mind next time you have a hilly flatish ride and I'll do my best to tag along.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Guys, I just wanted to say thanks for allowing me on your forum ride. You were a really friendly bunch and I had a great time. I also learnt some very important things.
  • I need to go shopping for.......
    • Warmer gloves.
    • A more waterproof coat.
    • Overshoes.
By the time we got to Jodrell Bank I was shaking so much from the cold that everyone else there must have thought I was epileptic :hyper:

My legs have recovered now so I'm looking forward to my next venture out, although as I also like walking its likely to be up some very steep hills, possibly a mountain.

Keep me in mind next time you have a hilly flatish ride and I'll do my best to tag along.

It was a pleasure to have you come along,hope the cold and wet did not put you off and you come to more rides out.To be honest i think we all suffered from the weather and some of the not so "Flattish" hills ! I found my waterproof socks when i got home and did you get all that lovely blue sky as the recovery began in the evening.......typical UK weather !!!!
It was also nice to have ladies join the ride,it must be quite daunting to join a bunch of cyclists you don't know from an internet forum on a ride in the countryside,we don't see enough unfortunatly......i hope i am not speaking out of term by that comment.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I shall do a flatter ride - probably go out the way we came back, and possibly follow part of the Manchester 100 route further out towards Northwich, before swinging back - the only issues are crossing the A556.

Clothing was the key though on Sunday. My BTwin (Decathlon) race cape was fine. They are £10 and waterproof, if a bit boil in the bag.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It was a great ride Fossy,really nice scenery and no-one can plan the weather....i even got a couple of little walks in :blush: Just cannot believe the weather in the evening and today.....:sun:

Just cleaned my bike, it was absolutely minging !
Ditto, except I had 2 to clean, also had to replace this:
3 random pics April 2012 002.jpg

This is the bolt off my mudguard stay, it happened when I decided to have a closer look at the method the Council had used to lay the tarmac. [twice :blush:]

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My Aldi lightweight rainjacket worked well, they may have them again in a couple of weeks. I had worn a merino base layer and winter jersey as well though. My neoprene over shoes gave up after a couple of hours in, but they did keep my feet relatively warm. The gloves were soaked and I was starting to have cold hands by Jodrell Bank.

lecabnoir

Defo not speaking out of term skudupnorth, its nice to have a mixed bag of people to keep it interesting.

I've not been put off at all, although the sun beating through the car windows on the way home was a bit of a slap in the face. :boxing:

lecabnoir

Oh yeah, to add to the shopping list I need a new shorter stem cos I'm sick of sore shoulders during and after the ride.

I'm only 5ft (and half an inch) and my bike frame is 50.5cm with a current stem of 10cm so need a radically shorter one.

Feel free to chip in with suggestions.

Top Bottom