Change from British Cycling to Cycling UK... Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that all it is...... I won't risk it then :laugh:
Any recommendations?
Well yes, you save 10%. Recommendations, well it’s really between BC and CUK and BC is cheaper for single membership. Read the rest of the thread :whistle:

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
So £39 then , I thought you meant there was some third party insurance for £4 ! :ohmy:.....:laugh:
I rode for a good few years without any insurance anyway and I am pretty sure most of the population (not the bike mad people on here..... plus me :laugh:) wouldn't even think about insurance

vickster

Legendary Member
So £39 then , I thought you meant there was some third party insurance for £4 ! :ohmy:.....:laugh:
I rode for a good few years without any insurance anyway and I am pretty sure most of the population (not the bike mad people on here..... plus me :laugh:) wouldn't even think about insurance
Nope. LCC used to do for £11. Maybe not but having successfully used Leigh Day for a messy claim I’d be loathe to go without for £3 a month or thereabouts

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thread resurrection alert..

Changed last night... Full family for cycling UK is 70 quid or 5.68 a month better value I reckon than the 39 quid for sole membership for me.

Now at least if Little V has an incident with a parked car etc (busy round school times 4 schools converging at one busy road. Lots of cars parked.. Often illegally) we have cover to pay.

And Mrs V is covered as well so all sorted..

Obviously we will see what the level of service is like if we ever need their services.. But I can't compare it to British Cycling as I never had to use it.

Technically I am a member of both for the next 12 days. B. C are emailing me daily reminding me to renew since I cancelled the D. D.

Suppose I'd better peel the car stickers off

postman

Legendary Member
As an old fart,i only pay £26 to the CTC i will not change i tell you.I spend more than that on coffee,good value knowing i am covered if anything happens.

OP
OP
simon the viking
My welcome pack for we are cycling.. Aka cycle uk came today so.....

Car back window at 5.30 pm
IMG_20181109_173537.jpg

And the same back window 30 seconds later. .

IMG_20181109_173654.jpg

And British Cycling.... Still keep emailing and texting me to renew...

OP
OP
simon the viking
Shirley there is enough room for both stickers ?

yes but I Thought it would be hypocritical to display a sticker for an organisation I will shortly not be a member of.....

The small square Front British Cycling Sticker has been replaced with a....

:shy:

Leicester City sticker....:okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Cycling UK, solely because i qualify for half price membership

Is that through affiliate membership?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No bud, normal full membership, but half price registered carers, of which I is one!

Fairy nuff.

I got affiliate membership of CUK last year for £24 but then discovered that this didn't come with the legal cover that full members enjoy, only the 3rd party insurance. Hopefully you still get all the benefits.

Looking at my home insurance it appears I am covered for 3rd party and legal costs on that policy anyway and if my insurer confirms this I won't be renewing with CUK.

A final thing to note for anyone considering BC membership is that they don't cover you if your claim is against another BC member. It might be an unlikely event for me but not for those who ride in a group or as a family.

le_al_khemista

I'm also debating whether to join one of the above or LCC.

I'm particularly interested in the liability cover they provide (is this the same as 3rd party cover?? I'm a bit confused with the lingo) and potential discounts on bike theft insurance (i.e. CycleSure). I haven't been able to find out how much the discount is (they make you sign in for that) so might need to give CUK and LCC a call see.

Having looked into several insurance options the last few months CycleSure seems to be good value regardless and they can provide public liability cover as well.

Top Bottom