Change from British Cycling to Cycling UK... Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks, I've not really been on here much lately... Just popping in to read the amazing Jokes :whistle: in the café

No real reason for the absence just busy with other things and cycling a lot during the summer (and in September for Cancer research 300 mile did 504 and raised £250 so pretty smug about it)

So no big flounce just other things getting in the way (including joining a writing forum...:shy:)

Little V is now Medium sized V and recently became the owner of a Btwin adults MTB with 26 inch wheels and now cycles to school. He wanted one straight away as old bike was way to small and wants a new games console for Christmas so bought one out his savings.... I helped him with the choice and its a cracker. Rockrider 340 in grey.

Anyway to the point of thread.. I've been a member of British Cycling for quite a few years and the price seems to up every year.. Now at £39.. I think it was about £20 when I joined 5 years ago.

Family membership to cover him now he's cycling a lot more and Mrs V (whos you may remember doesn't drive and cycles everywhere if I don't take her) is quite a lump sum at £82 with no monthly option. Cycling UK Household is £70 with similar benefits including Halfords discount and importantly a monthly option of less than £6

Anyone had any experience good or bad of the benefits of both groups, I've never had to use legal helpline or insurance... just the Halfords discount. And any ideas how I cancel membership if I do change. Just cancel DD with bank?

Any thoughts..... and

Did you miss me while I was awol.....

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the terms of CUKs Halfords discount? BC now it's only on bike stuff and you need a voucher to get the discount and it's only valid once a month.

You can save 10% on BC if you do by DD, but it sounds like CUK might still be less and offer you similar. BC also has a 10% Evans discount, maybe CUK too, don't know the terms of either

They use different legal firms. Read the terms, research who they use, the sorts of cases they'll take on and what terms when it comes to payout. Check the limits for 3rd party indemnity and the terms.

Also, if it bothers you, look at their political and advocacy stance and activities

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks for the reply Vickster

I wasn't aware Halfords discount was once a month now and only cycle stuff... that's pants! CUK just says discount with partners including Halfords so don't know.

I got the D.D discount last year but its only for new customers or new D.D payments. recurring payments by D.D don't seem to qualify. So Loyal customers seem to penalised (like insurance renewals) as the first years my mum paid as a Christmas present but I took over paying it last year as I thought it was getting a bit dear for a pensioner to pay

CUK seem to have a bi monthly paper magazine instead of E-zines.

The liability insurance is my main concern seems to a million for each person, legal cover not so important as a no win no fee lawyer or house insurance would cover it. I just think it prudent to hae some cover now V junior is out and about to sort any scratches or dents he may cause...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm with Cycling UK for the third party insurance. I do a lot of urban commuting and it's a nice safety net in case of an accident where it may be deemed my fault.

I pay several times more for my car insurance so, I think it's worth it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply Vickster

I wasn't aware Halfords discount was once a month now and only cycle stuff... that's pants! CUK just says discount with partners including Halfords so don't know.

I got the D.D discount last year but its only for new customers or new D.D payments. recurring payments by D.D don't seem to qualify. So Loyal customers seem to penalised (like insurance renewals) as the first years my mum paid as a Christmas present but I took over paying it last year as I thought it was getting a bit dear for a pensioner to pay

CUK seem to have a bi monthly paper magazine instead of E-zines.

The liability insurance is my main concern seems to a million for each person, legal cover not so important as a no win no fee lawyer or house insurance would cover it. I just think it prudent to hae some cover now V junior is out and about to sort any scratches or dents he may cause...

Note as far as I know a no win no fee lawyer will take a cut of the payout. Leigh Day (BC) don't. Check what Slater &. Gordon (CUK) do
BCs liability is £10m for individual ride cover I think. Don't know about the family cover. A million should cover a dent but maybe not leaving a pedestrian or other cyclist in a wheelchair

OP
OP
simon the viking
Must admit, my BC membership has just renewed at a not inconsiderable £39 on DD - it was under £30 (£28?) four years ago when I first joined.
Combined with the massive scaling back of the Halfords discount (and the added faff to get it) it has me wondering if it's still worth it.

That was my thoughts exactly definitely going up a couple of quid a year and when I looked at Family membership my eyes watered! CUK is more expensive individual but cheaper family cover but importantly both can be paid monthly for just a few quid instead of big lumps.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Note as far as I know a no win no fee lawyer will take a cut of the payout. Leigh Day (BC) don't. Check what Slater &. Gordon (CUK) do
BCs liability is £10m for individual ride cover I think. Don't know about the family cover. A million should cover a dent but maybe not leaving a pedestrian or other cyclist in a wheelchair

Figured no win no fee'ers would take a cut and would use as a last resort. Didn't realise BC liability was so much higher but a million should be enough, I just want cover to placate any angry motorists knocking on my door if V junior has a mishap.

vickster

Legendary Member
Figured no win no fee'ers would take a cut and would use as a last resort. Didn't realise BC liability was so much higher but a million should be enough, I just want cover to placate any angry motorists knocking on my door if V junior has a mishap.
Actually it's up to 15m
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability

Venod

Eh up
I have always considered BC to be more for the racing cyclist (I know its not just for them) and CUK more for the ordinary/tourng everyday cyclist, CUK do a lot of campaigning for cycling and are worth supporting IMO, plus you get a mag to read and despite its knockers has some interesting articles.
I have used Slater and Gordon through CUK with a very satisfactory result, they don't take a cut of the payment.

Milzy

Guru
I’ve just joined BC and wish I had not. They didn’t even send me and my friend the light set for the referral. Complete jokers. Halfords have the TacX Neo but I want the KickR so probably won’t even use the 10% discount.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I’ve just joined BC and wish I had not. They didn’t even send me and my friend the light set for the referral. Complete jokers. Halfords have the TacX Neo but I want the KickR so probably won’t even use the 10% discount.
Neo is better :okay:

OP
OP
simon the viking
I have always considered BC to be more for the racing cyclist (I know its not just for them) and CUK more for the ordinary/tourng everyday cyclist, CUK do a lot of campaigning for cycling and are worth supporting IMO, plus you get a mag to read and despite its knockers has some interesting articles.
I have used Slater and Gordon through CUK with a very satisfactory result, they don't take a cut of the payment.
Thanks for info on Slater and Gordon a slight concern was about legal cover. (but more interested in liability insurance....

Top Bottom