Change from British Cycling to Cycling UK... Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
S&G aren't the most stable financially these days so you may want to do some due dliligence.
That is definitely worth considering. S&G bought the bulk of UK company Quindell (with what was left subsequently renamed Watchstone) for £637m in 2015, which many of us in the business (I'm a finance/investment writer) thought was a huge amount for a company worth far less. Quindell/Watchstone were later forced to restate their accounts, and what they had previously reported as profit had to be restated as loss. There is an ongoing investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, and S&G is also taking its own legal action against Quindell. Depending on the legal outcome, the acquisition could prove to be a very expensive mistake.

They are really doing well at confusing and irritating everyone of late.

Must admit, my BC membership has just renewed at a not inconsiderable £39 on DD - it was under £30 (£28?) four years ago when I first joined.
Combined with the massive scaling back of the Halfords discount (and the added faff to get it) it has me wondering if it's still worth it.
I used my discount at Cycle Republic this morning, they knew more about the changes than I did, but they just used a different barcode to put the discount through, and worked it out manually, to save any bother to me, I like that.

I have always considered BC to be more for the racing cyclist (I know its not just for them) and CUK more for the ordinary/tourng everyday cyclist, CUK do a lot of campaigning for cycling and are worth supporting IMO, plus you get a mag to read and despite its knockers has some interesting articles.
I have used Slater and Gordon through CUK with a very satisfactory result, they don't take a cut of the payment.
You’re right, a lot of the folk on my organised rides, are surprised that the rides aren’t all ‘smashy smashy, racey racey, head down, bum up’ clubby type rides. I’ve always tried to run them as anything but that, and if anyone wants to go and do a more racey ride, I can give them the details of a miriad of local clubs they can go and have a look at. My ‘brief’ has always been to get people out on their bikes, and if a ‘grass roots’ rider then goes on and does more sporty riding, that’s a bonus. It’s unfortunate that the ( minority) more ‘faux pro’ element like to shout louder than the majority of us ( metaphorically speaking ) using social meeja and the like, and people get the wrong idea sometimes. When you add in local political issues ( basically idiots trying to give it the big I am ) and losing sight of the goal, it makes it even more confusing. CTC aren’t immune to it, but it tends not to cause most people to get the wrong end of the stick.

Venod

Eh up
You’re right, a lot of the folk on my organised rides, are surprised that the rides aren’t all ‘smashy smashy, racey racey, head down, bum up’ clubby type rides. I’ve always tried to run them as anything but that, and if anyone wants to go and do a more racey ride, I can give them the details of a miriad of local clubs they can go and have a look at. My ‘brief’ has always been to get people out on their bikes, and if a ‘grass roots’ rider then goes on and does more sporty riding, that’s a bonus. It’s unfortunate that the ( minority) more ‘faux pro’ element like to shout louder than the majority of us ( metaphorically speaking ) using social meeja and the like, and people get the wrong idea sometimes. When you add in local political issues ( basically idiots trying to give it the big I am ) and losing sight of the goal, it makes it even more confusing. CTC aren’t immune to it, but it tends not to cause most people to get the wrong end of the stick

I don't know why but most of the club rides I go on nowadays turn into some sort of smashfest, I think people have become obsessed with high average speeds and Strava posting, it spoils the ride for me, I remember when club runs were a social run out and if 18 mph was exceeded you got shouted at to knock a mile off, most of the lads on these runs were quite capable of smashing it but saved that for the chain gang.
I don't do many club runs nowadays for this reason, although there is a slower group should I so desire.

I don't know why but most of the club rides I go on nowadays turn into some sort of smashfest, I think people have become obsessed with high average speeds and Strava posting, it spoils the ride for me, I remember when club runs were a social run out and if 18 mph was exceeded you got shouted at to knock a mile off, most of the lads on these runs were quite capable of smashing it but saved that for the chain gang.
I don't do many club runs nowadays for this reason, although there is a slower group should I so desire.
I hear this a lot.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Back to BC discount at Halfrauds..... you can only use it once a month now.....is that correct?
I am going to drop it in November anyway. I am on Direct Debit so do I just cancel it?
Cheers :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Back to BC discount at Halfrauds..... you can only use it once a month now.....is that correct?
I am going to drop it in November anyway. I am on Direct Debit so do I just cancel it?
Cheers :smile:
Yes, you get one code a month and Yes. Cancel now, don't leave too close to due date as iirc they take the money in advance

OP
OP
simon the viking
Mines due in November. Ive cancelled the D. D. I may ring them out courtesy... Haven't decided yet

D

Deleted member 26715

Would have thought there was an option on the website to do it

Top Bottom