Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes you are right, but I think the prosecution knew if he was found not guilty of manslaughter he was still likely to receive a jail sentence if convicted of Wanton or Furious driving.
More likely the prosecution thought/hoped that if found guilty of the driving charge a guilty verdict had to be forthcoming for the manslaughter charge. From my reading one should logically follow the other. But juries don't like to convict for manslaughter in road traffic "accident" cases.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Are they common for motorists? http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/...arising_from_driving_incidents/index.html#a19 contains things like "Unlawful act manslaughter should, therefore, only be charged instead of causing death by dangerous driving where there is evidence that the driver either intended to cause injury to the victim or was reckless as to whether injury would be caused" and "Gross negligence manslaughter should not be charged unless there is something to set the case apart from those cases where a statutory offence such as causing death by dangerous driving or causing death by careless driving could be proved."

There doesn't seem much suggestion of using manslaughter as an alternative charge to the motorist-specific driving offences, only "instead of". I'm sure I read allegations somewhere that the CPS guidance currently means few motorists face manslaughter charges.
Common to be charged with both dangerous and careless offences. Common to be acquitted of both, or given a derisory sentence IF YOU'RE A DRIVER.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As @bigjim has pointed out, the headline is not the inquest report - the "collision investigator Kevin Spiller said CCTV showed the cyclist was travelling at around 24mph on Church Road, but he was unable to tell whether Mr Pedley had just ridden past a green or red light." according to the GloucestershireLive report of the inquest proceedings, but this wasn't good enough for the Mail, which had the cyclist running a red.
"A cyclist who died after running down a pedestrian near a busy junction may have jumped a red light moments before the collision, an inquest has heard."

(OK, it says "may have", but that's good enough for Mail readers to make the obvious conclusion!)
I couldn't make this stuff up: police apparently said they would have prosecuted Pedley if he'd survived. I suppose at least it suggests TVP are open about how much they hate cyclists. :sad:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Presumed Liability in relation to this case.
Possibly I'm missing something? :whistle:.
http://www.roadshare.co.uk/
If the UK introduced "Presumed Liability" like Denmark, Germany and Holland etc, the driver (or rider if a pedestrian was involved) of the vehicle would be held liable for collisions until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In other news : "oh **** off you knee-jerking tory nobbers with your making our roads safer bollox! Where have you been the last fifty years?" screams grumpy bike rider on seeing conservative central office cashing in on social media.
Do you really think they're going to do anything to make roads safer? As in properly safer, Vision-Zero or sustainable-safety-style, not just try to reduce numbers of walkers and cyclists even further?

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

AndyMack

What will happen is cyclists will have to have liability insurance, bikes will have twice yearly safety checks and will be linked by tracker/licence plate to a government scheme...all bringing revenue to the coffers and a minimal percentage of said revenue will go back into making cycling safer/providing more cycle lanes.

You heard it here first kids.

Top Bottom