Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
I pointed it out well up thread and linked to the Blessed Sheldon for chapter and verse.

And your "reading the thread pill"

Yeah, you got me. I did skim it.
In my defence I still get the night shivers over the time I spent removing the wheat from the chaff in the helmet thread before commenting, and yeah, I know that's not good enough, but it's all I have.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No front brake, so in practice, no effective braking at all.
That's not true in law, is it? While a front brake may be better than only a rear, farking band brakes are still regarded as effective enough to be legal and many other types of rear brake are going to beat a pair of most band brakes.

Actually, it looks like you can still have spoon brakes if you ride solid tyres (PCUR 1983 only explicitly excludes brakes that act on pneumatic tyres), but with the price of solid tyres, I'd be astonished if anyone did that.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm watching out for the sentence in the Carol Boardman case. I'm assuming there won't be a custodial sentence, or any substantial driving ban.
Before you assume, have a read of this...
http://www.road-peace.org.uk/resources/RoadPeace Sentencing of Causing Death by Driving offences England Wales.pdf

upload_2017-9-27_13-39-49.png

Those are the actual sentences handed down for the 65% of people whose charge of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving resulted in a conviction. 90% of charges of Causing Death by Careless Driving resulted in a conviction (including some who were charged with the more serious offence but convicted of the less serious offence), with the following sentences:
upload_2017-9-27_13-42-59.png

One someone's been charged, a conviction is more likely than not. A conviction for Death by Dangerous Driving is much more likely than not to result in immediate imprisonment. A not guilty plea (as in this case) increases any sentence.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Our local CTC club has received this letter from the local council.

From the Parliamentary
Under Secretary of State
Jesse Norman MP
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR
Tel: 0300 330 3000
E-Mail: jesse.norman@dft.gsi.gov.uk
Web site: http://www.gov.uk/dft

Dear Sir / Madam
I am writing to you following the tragic death of Mrs Kim Briggs to ask for your help in highlighting the importance of cyclists adhering to the rules set out in The Highway Code and elsewhere.
Mrs Briggs died after a cyclist collided with her. The cyclist was riding a bicycle with a “fixed” rear wheel and without a front brake, making his bike illegal on the road.
The Highway Code clearly sets out rules for cyclists including on equipment, clothing and use of lanes and crossings. It states that every pedal cycle must have efficient brakes and meet the applicable legal requirements. The relevant sections are Rules for cyclists (59 to 82) and Annex 1: “You and your bicycle”.
These should be read alongside the more detailed information set out in the Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 which make clear that in virtually all cases bikes must have independent front and rear braking systems, and that any bike with a “fixed” rear wheel must be equipped with a front brake. Failure to comply with these rules can result in verbal warnings, fixed penalty notices or formal prosecution.
I would encourage local authorities to highlight the rules for cyclists in the Highway Code to people who cycle in your local area, local companies which employ large numbers of cyclists and to other local employers who have large numbers of employees who cycle to work. The Highway Code is readily available digitally on GOV.UK, as an e-book, iPhone app and interactive CD-ROM.
Of course, all road users are personally responsible for making sure that their knowledge of The Highway Code is up to date and that they use the road network in a safe and responsible manner. Although cycling is generally a safe activity, there are a number of collisions between cyclists and motorists each year and these can result in serious injury or death of the cyclist. The
From the Parliamentary
Under Secretary of State
Jesse Norman MP
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR
Tel: 0300 330 3000
E-Mail: jesse.norman@dft.gsi.gov.uk
Web site: http://www.gov.uk/dft
Highway Code contains an section entitled “road users requiring extra care”
which aims to educate and remind drivers of the needs of more vulnerable
road users such as cyclists: https://www.gov.uk/road-users-requiring-extracare-
204-to-225.
I should highlight that there are slightly different rules on brakes for
Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles (EAPCs) when sold for use, or used, on a
public road as set out in The Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use)
Regulations 1983. The brakes must comply with paragraph 4.6.8 of British /
European / International standard BS EN ISO 4210-2:20148, or any
equivalent European standard, and be maintained in efficient working order.
For information, an EAPC must be fitted with pedals that are capable of
propelling it, the maximum continuous rated power of the electric motor must
not exceed 250 Watts, and the electrical assistance must cut-off when the
vehicle reaches 15.5 mph. An information sheet on these vehicles is
available at:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _data/file
/482015/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf
Britain has some of the safest roads in the world and I am determined to keep
them that way for all road users. We will be looking at ways to highlight the
key information in The Highway Code and have just published a quick
reference guide for cyclists
(https://twitter.com/THINKgovuk/status/9 ... 9768609792) highlighting
the requirements for a roadworthy bike. I would appreciate your support in
working together in emphasising this important road safety message.
JESSE NORMAN
Copy list:
British Cycling
Cycling UK
Bicycle Association
Sustrans
Will Norman - TfL walking and cycling commissioner
Chris Boardman – TfGM walking and cycling commissioner
National Courier & Despatch Association
Institute of Couriers
Cycle to Work Alliance

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Our local CTC club has received this letter from the local council.

Sounds as if it's worth a call to CTC towers - one might hope that advice on an appropriate reply and local publicity is being prepared.

Reactions: mjr

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mod Note

The vehicle automation posts from this thread been moved to a new thread here. Please use the new thread for any further discussion of self-drive and automated vehicles.
If I've missed anything or you think a post has been moved inappropriately, report it and we'll take a look. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Malky

Well this guy has done a lot of damage to the Briggs family, and will have upset a lot of cyclists as we know too well how many wish to compare us as all the same. See what comes of it all.

Last edited:
Interesting reading, Collision Mortality Stats:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJHLrf9XoAAO8p7.jpg
Not sure why you didn't embed it?

DJHLrf9XoAAO8p7.jpg

That's rather worrying. According to the Dft, bicycles travel a little over 1% of the annual distance travelled by cars, yet the relative fatality rate is 1.7% of cars. I'd hope it to be much smaller not 70% greater.

Obviously the total is pretty small, so presumably could be represent an anomaly, but maybe we are a greater hazard than we think to other vulnerable road users.

oldstrath

Über Member
If the effect is real, which is debatable given small numbers and the difficulty of measuring miles travelled, there are certainly plausible reasons. Cyclists and pedestrians are often in closer contact than is sensible ( shared use as well as less legitimate occasions), the lack of noise and lack of fear may also be factors. There may well be messages about how we should behave, but also about facility design.

Top Bottom