Charlton Heston R.I.P.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saddle bum said:
Typical leftie shrill misquote.

Listen numbnuts, did I say "everybody"? No, I said "responsible citizens". Most of the massacres in the USA have taken places where firerms are expressly prohibited. It is a Federal offence to carry an unauthorised firearm with 1000ft of a school.

Generally, the remainder are executed using illegally held firearms.

One can easily get tetchy with airheads spouting on about gun control, especially when their spouting is based on SFA knowledge and a slavish adherence to fascist propaganda.

The best form of gun control is to use both hands.

so, selling teenagers guns and softpoint bullets is legal, which is ok because they're not supposed to use them at school? I just want to get to the bottom of this......

derall

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
In retrospect, it beggars belief that the police should have issued a firearms certificate to an obvious lying nutcase.

Absolutely - and yet he still managed to get one. The police are supposed to ensure that only responsible citizens get gun licenses, and yet the nutters still manage to get their hands on them.

Not the first time of course. Another nutter responsible citizen with a collection of legally held firearms was one Michael Ryan. August 19th 1987, he took a walk along Hungerford High Street with his collection.

col

Legendary Member
redcogs said:
Heston was pretty unpleasant.

However, i'm a sucker for EPICS, and as a kid, 'The Ten Commandos' was a firm favourite - especially the bit where he threw a grenade into the Red Sea to part it.

Why was he unpleasant?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Before we get off the topic, Heston wasn't always a gun nut. He put himself at considerable risk to support black civil rights in the 1960s. For that alone he deserves our respect.

k-dog

One such responsible citizen was scout leader Thomas Hamilton

Just a small point - but he wasn't a Scout leader.

He was a leader in the BP Scouts - a breakaway group from 1970 who are kind of right-wing as "scouts" go - they didn't believe in modernising.

Hamilton was obviously a nutter too though - not sure how making guns easier to get for everyone would prevent that.

The only interesting statistic in these things IMO is the difference between the US and Canada - both fairly similar gun laws but Canada has way less deaths/murders.

col

Legendary Member
It doesnt matter if guns are legal or not,if someone wants to get one to do nutter type things,they will and can.And what seems to be blaming laws for what nutters do,is utter nonsense,it doesnt matter what the law is,there are always going to be people or nutters,who do what they want.

derall

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
Before we get off the topic, Heston wasn't always a gun nut. He put himself at considerable risk to support black civil rights in the 1960s. For that alone he deserves our respect.

I heard that on the news this evening and was very surprised, given how he became so right-wing at the end. I never knew that about him, and certainly respect to him for doing that.

(So how did he go so bad in the end...)

redcogs said:
Maybe the Freemasonry connection helped Patrick..

It has been rumoured. There has been a distinct lack of official denial that that the only reason why an obvious nutcase was issued with guns by the police was because he was a Freemason.

kyuss

Veteran
col said:
It doesnt matter if guns are legal or not,if someone wants to get one to do nutter type things,they will and can.And what seems to be blaming laws for what nutters do,is utter nonsense,it doesnt matter what the law is,there are always going to be people or nutters,who do what they want.

This might be true but only to an extent. I don't think I'd even know where to start looking if I wanted a gun. Might have been easier when I was younger and living on a council housing estate, but these days I just don't have the gangster connections.

Legally buying a gun down the shops would mean far more on the streets and they would then be much more likely to be used in heat of the moment confrontations where normally the worst that would happen would be a bloody nose, black eye and loss of pride.

col

Legendary Member
kyuss said:
This might be true but only to an extent. I don't think I'd even know where to start looking if I wanted a gun. Might have been easier when I was younger and living on a council housing estate, but these days I just don't have the gangster connections.

Legally buying a gun down the shops would mean far more on the streets and they would then be much more likely to be used in heat of the moment confrontations where normally the worst that would happen would be a bloody nose, black eye and loss of pride.

Your right,but there are the ones who mix in these circles,where if they want one,they can have one,all the rough pubs would be a good starting point.And even if they were legal,the type who might use it dont want a legal registered one in the first place.So it wouldnt change at all in the crime world.
But i see your point on heat of the moment stuff.

col

Legendary Member
derall said:
I heard that on the news this evening and was very surprised, given how he became so right-wing at the end. I never knew that about him, and certainly respect to him for doing that.

(So how did he go so bad in the end...)

Im still waiting to hear why he was bad?I havnt got a clue what your talking about here:wacko:

Evilcat

col said:
But i see your point on heat of the moment stuff.
There is a direct (pretty much straight line) correlation between household gun ownership and death by firearms:

• In the USA, guns kept in the home are 22 times more likely to be used in criminal, unintentional or suicide shooting than in self-defence.

• Also in the USA, the risk of homicide in the home is three times higher in households with guns, and the risk of suicide is five times greater.

Getting back on topic, as leader of and spokesman for the NRA Charlton Heston was a focus for the gun lobby, arguing for the right to buy assault weapons, trying to prevent checks on gun purchasers, protecting rogue gun dealers and making America a more dangerous place. It is difficult to mourn such a person.

EC

Top Bottom