Cheap, Useable Cycle Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
the study . . . says 2% of collisions had no lights as a factor . . . I'm pretty sure far more than 2% of cyclists are going around unlit (even at my most optimistic, I'd say it's no less than 1 in 25, which is 4%), so they're actually underrepresented in collisions, which is curious.
Perhaps the 'unlit' 4% are going around but not very far (compared to the average cycle journey) so that the unlit road miles being ridden is only 2% of total, so the figures (for unlit road miles ridden and collisions) match up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Perhaps the 'unlit' 4% are going around but not very far (compared to the average cycle journey) so that the unlit road miles being ridden is only 2% of total, so the figures (for unlit road miles ridden and collisions) match up.
That's one possibility, but I think the average cycle journey is surprisingly short, although I don't have the number handy now. Might still explain some of it.

Another possibility is that maybe most unlit riders act as if motorists won't see them and it's motorists who are usually in collision with cyclists, so avoiding them cuts collisions, although it's probably not a quick way to get around. However, everyone seems to have a story about a ninja cyclist riding out into traffic.

AnthonyC

Regular
Have a look at the Agu Cordo LED set, £8 and really good value. Comes with an additional longer velcro so you can also strap it around your arm if you go walking or running.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Another possibility is that maybe most unlit riders act as if motorists won't see them and it's motorists who are usually in collision with cyclists, so avoiding them cuts collisions, although it's probably not a quick way to get around. However, everyone seems to have a story about a ninja cyclist riding out into traffic.
I have a (little supported) theory that the safest thing that you can do as a cyclist is ride home through a city in the dark with no front lights. Not regularly, of course, but just the once. Your mind instantly considers every car you can see as a threat to your safety, and your riding becomes very cautious, defensive, and aware. The hope is that some of that mindset carries on when you are riding with lights. Too many times I have heard the phrase "was lit up like a christmas tree", and I suspect that the rider put too much faith in their visibility and driver's attentiveness. Some drivers will crash into a big yellow JCB. Difference is, that it can take it.

Last edited:

mjr

just type in Cree or T6 on ebay and you will find some pretty amazing lights

Get a Cree front light off ebay for about £20 the 4000 lumens will put lights costing a fortune to shame.
Just in case any newcomers are reading this thread and as it hasn't been mentioned yet: those lights are not sufficient to make a bike legally-lit in the UK, must be aimed well downwards on roads to avoid dazzling oncoming riders/drivers (get top of the beam below the horizontal) and there are a few reports of battery fires when charging.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just in case any newcomers are reading this thread and as it hasn't been mentioned yet: those lights are not sufficient to make a bike legally-lit in the UK, must be aimed well downwards on roads to avoid dazzling oncoming riders/drivers (get top of the beam below the horizontal) and there are a few reports of battery fires when charging.
And there are Eight reports of fires onboard A380's in flight, this year, with the same type of batteries.

Ajax Bay

Guru
most unlit riders act as if motorists won't see them
I think this may be true and as BrumJim describes:
Your mind instantly considers every car you can see as a threat to your safety, and your riding becomes very cautions, defensive, and aware.
Provided you don't get paranoid about it, this is a sensible perspective to take, and ride and mitigate accordingly. But with lights as legally required.

mynydd

Veteran
I'm not sure if they're still doing it, but I joined British cycling for 30 quid a few weeks back and received a 40+ quid set of Electron Pod lights, which are excellent. Imo.
Might be worth considering

bondirob

I would say they are sufficient to make you legally lit.
Although you are right in saying they need to be pointing downwards which you will do anyway if you want to light the road up.
I think there ought to be a law regarding the minimum brightness a bike light should be. Some of my fellow commuters have very poor front lights that cost many times more than mine.
I wouldn't feel safe with anything less bright.

mjr

I would say they are sufficient to make you legally lit.
They aren't, because they have a steady mode and don't comply to any UK-equivalent European standards. You're very unlikely to ever be challenged unless you dazzle someone, but you won't be legally-lit.

I think there ought to be a law regarding the minimum brightness a bike light should be.
There is, but it's currently an amazingly low 4 candela, which crude calculation suggests is about 0.04 lux on the German scale (I'd regard 10 lux as a typical minimum now, or 20 for unlit roads) or 1 lumen on a typical bike light (I'd regard 160 as the minimum for unlit roads). Even though I've read it before, I couldn't quite believe that, so I just double-checked http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

bondirob

They aren't, because they have a steady mode and don't comply to any UK-equivalent European standards. You're very unlikely to ever be challenged unless you dazzle someone, but you won't be legally-lit.

There is, but it's currently an amazingly low 4 candela, which crude calculation suggests is about 0.04 lux on the German scale (I'd regard 10 lux as a typical minimum now, or 20 for unlit roads) or 1 lumen on a typical bike light (I'd regard 160 as the minimum for unlit roads). Even though I've read it before, I couldn't quite believe that, so I just double-checked http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made

What is the steady mode?
The legal limit is far too low

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Went for Poundland specials. The plan is to keep a couple with me at all times, then if I spot a ninja, I will donate a set to them.

However failed at the first step. Bought the lights, got back to my bike, getting dark (lateish, but thick black cloud), and an elderly gent approached on a completely unlit bike. Wasn't what I expected, so rode off. Bu**er.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Get a Cree front light off ebay for about £20 the 4000 lumens will put lights costing a fortune to shame.
And blind anyone in their path.
And potentially set your house on fire when charging.
And go out without no notice on an unlit road.

Izone 650 Lumens.
£30 in Tredz right now.
Multiple modes and usb rechargeable with red amber green battery notification.
Also doubles nicely as a normal torch.
Also has the advantage of no clumpy battery pack.

Top Bottom