Cheap, Useable Cycle Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
if you are relying on them for legality, lights with a steady mode have to meet tougher standards.
But those "tougher standards" are very undemanding, set as there were bitd when LEDs were not used for cycle lights, so their illegality rests on lack of standard mark, I think. You're unlikely to be challenged even if you dazzle someone, actually: they'll be too busy trying to stay on the road. But in the same way as a driver (or even worse a cyclist), if the driver of the vehicle approaching keeps their lights on full, it's uncivilised to the point of danger, cyclists with powerful lights just need to keep them angled well down, not just down on the road. I'd like to hear @bondirob 's view (if he has one after being blinded by 2000+ lumens (nominal)) about his experience cycling on a cyclepath with a Cree T6 2000 front light coming towards him where the guy has his light set up with minimal depression.

mynydd

Veteran
The Cree lights are bright, and cheap. But I second the comment above that they go out without warning.... and the length of time they stay charged for is inconsistent. I've stopped using mine on the bike because of this... after being left with no front light on very dark back roads, all of a sudden.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But those "tougher standards" are very undemanding, set as there were bitd when LEDs were not used for cycle lights, so their illegality rests on lack of standard mark, I think.
Yes, even the tougher standards are undemanding, so it's very disappointing that so few manufacturers get anywhere near them for the UK market. It's worse than just a lack of a mark: most substandard lights lack any side visibility and have a poor beam shape (often symmetric) that puts too much brightness too close to the bike.

But there's plenty of UK cyclists willing to buy shoot lights and tell everyone else that shoot lights are the finest silk and it's not worth paying £10 more or joining the rush for K-marked German supermarket specials. The country gets what it deserves, I guess. Oh well, I can see where I'm going and I'll stop and hurl abuse at the dazzlers.
You're unlikely to be challenged even if you dazzle someone, actually: they'll be too busy trying to stay on the road.
Unless they're a policeman looking for something to do, or a cyclist that's stopped and hurling abuse.

I'd like to hear @bondirob 's view (if he has one after being blinded by 2000+ lumens (nominal)) about his experience cycling on a cyclepath with a Cree T6 2000 front light coming towards him where the guy has his light set up with minimal depression.
Me too.

mjr

What is the steady mode?
The mode where the light is illuminated all the time, rather than flashing.

The legal limit is far too low
Arguably, yes, but it's a factor in almost no crashes, so there's little motive to revise it.

Can I now add bike lights to helmets and red light jumping as a cycling subject that can start an argument in an empty room?
That ain't an argument about lights. This is an argument.

bondirob

Yes, even the tougher standards are undemanding, so it's very disappointing that so few manufacturers get anywhere near them for the UK market. It's worse than just a lack of a mark: most substandard lights lack any side visibility and have a poor beam shape (often symmetric) that puts too much brightness too close to the bike.

But there's plenty of UK cyclists willing to buy shoot lights and tell everyone else that shoot lights are the finest silk and it's not worth paying £10 more or joining the rush for K-marked German supermarket specials. The country gets what it deserves, I guess. Oh well, I can see where I'm going and I'll stop and hurl abuse at the dazzlers.

Unless they're a policeman looking for something to do, or a cyclist that's stopped and hurling abuse.

Me too.

Last edited by a moderator:

bondirob

I'd think he was clever, just like me.

But on another note is there any difference between a cyclist not lowering his beam and a driver in a car doing the same?
I keep mine low because that's the
And blind anyone in their path.
And potentially set your house on fire when charging.
And go out without no notice on an unlit road.

Izone 650 Lumens.
£30 in Tredz right now.
Multiple modes and usb rechargeable with red amber green battery notification.
Also doubles nicely as a normal torch.
Also has the advantage of no clumpy battery pack.

The house is fine had mine for three years.
I don't blind anyone because like a car driver is expected to be I'm responsible in how I use the beam.
It's never gone out on me yet.
Oh and 650 lumens is woefully inadequate for my journeys in the dark.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
But on another note is there any difference between a cyclist not lowering his beam and a driver in a car doing the same?
I keep mine low because that's the

The house is fine had mine for three years.
I don't blind anyone because like a car driver is expected to be I'm responsible in how I use the beam.
It's never gone out on me yet.
Oh and 650 lumens is woefully inadequate for my journeys in the dark.
I have two of these.
Going out tonight down the Gower on some unlit roads.
Went out 2 weeks ago on same route.
Two of these lights are incredibly bright and more than enough for unlit routes.

bondirob

I have two of these.
Going out tonight down the Gower on some unlit roads.
Went out 2 weeks ago on same route.
Two of these lights are incredibly bright and more than enough for unlit routes.
I believe you.
I use my lights on my commute and with me starting at 6am I have to average just under 30kmh to get to work on time (too lazy to get up any earlier) I find at that speed my cree's will light up the road just enough to enable me to avoid potholes on unlit roads. I've tried lights with less power and they're not safe.

mjr

Lumens are a meaningless measure of the lighting element's power. If the lens or reflector is rubbish, enough illumination still won't go where you need it and blindly increasing the lumens (lumenbombing) isn't the solution. 650lm should be ample for 20mph, but I quite expect some 650lm lamps aren't, while others are.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Road by Kittle Egg Farm (Gower) earlier tonight illuminated by 2 650l iZone lights.
20161112_191736.jpg

Top Bottom