Cheap, Useable Cycle Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Where can I buy really cheap, but still useable cycle lights? Halfords? Wilkinsons? B&M?
Which are the cheapest available on the high street / internet? Ideally with AA or AAA batteries rather than button, but not essential.

G3CWI

Veteran
Poundland is the cheapest. I seem to recall they cost a pound.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The poundland rear lights are exceptional value for money and run forever on a pair of triple A's.
Their front lights aren't so good though - adequate to "be seen" but that's about it.

Depends what you need them for - if it's just to be seen then three quid will cover it (£1 each for a front and rear light, and £1 for a pack of batteries that should last a couple of months).

If you need to light up the road to see where you are going, get a poundland rear light, but spend a bit more on a decent front light.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Clas Ohlson front light if you need to see rather than only be seen. About £10 I think. That poundland MyCycle rear light isn't legal but I've seen it and it looks good enough. I bet no one will question it unless you use one of the silly flashing modes.

Lidl's £10 set special was the best offer this year and legal too, but they'll have all sold out long ago now.

Flyboy

For me the word Cheap and lights shouldn't really come together.
I have a set that cost £50 and light the road/trail up like a car.
There are so many out there at the moment, think of it as an investment to your health , so buy the best you can really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For me the word Cheap and lights shouldn't really come together.
Ah, well, if you're only riding in lit areas, I can see the advantage of getting some cheap minimally-legal blinkers to leave on the bike and if they get nicked then you replace them for less than a fiver.

There are so many out there at the moment, think of it as an investment to your health , so buy the best you can really.
To your health? I don't think any of the suggested lights will irradiate you!

Are you thinking that people hit under-lit cyclists more? They don't. I can't find the more detailed report about the study just now, but this one says 2% of collisions had no lights as a factor and IIRC, defective lights was a tiny fraction of that, maybe a handful of incidents. I'm pretty sure far more than 2% of cyclists are going around unlit (even at my most optimistic, I'd say it's no less than 1 in 25, which is 4%), so they're actually underrepresented in collisions, which is curious.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I got a front and back set from B&M for £4- they take watch-type batteries and are easy to get on and off. But they are only my backup lights, I wouldn't want to be depending on that rear light.

Flyboy

Fair play on that report, I never bother with statistics,I would rather be lit up like an Xmas tree , than a candle stick.
But I can understand if money is tight to go for the less luminescent lights.

Top Bottom