Chest Pain - visit to docs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Or the GP might have sussed that you are a bit of a worrier and asked for a quick appointment. At least you will know what the score is sooner than you expected and that has to be A Good Thing.

Bit of shock as gp said the speed the appt is dependent on how serious the condition is
Your gp is an idiot. Why would he say that? It's either right and he's scared you 2 days early or he's wrong, and he's scared you unnecessarily.

The good news is, they didn't tell you to go to A&E. They would have if it was something really scary. Don't panic yet, if you can avoid it, you'll have plenty of time to panic if you get bad news on Friday.

Good luck. :hugs:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
The only thing I worried is if some major repairs are needed that might not be able to go on a family holiday in september.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Mostly good news
The reason I had a quick appt is that GP had ticked chest pains on the referral.
Nurse did ecg again - and asked me loads of questions about lifestyle and when the pain comes on. Said I had a soft systolic murmur - couldn't get me an echo slot today.
Her prognosis was mainly positive - but she said I wouldn't be able to all what I did (cycling and gym) if there was a significant heart problem. I always hate this because IMO cycling raises your pain threshold - therefore you push through when it hurts - I have asthma so getting of breath does happen on the hills .

Echo in due course.

Alan O

Über Member
Mostly good news
The reason I had a quick appt is that GP had ticked chest pains on the referral.
Nurse did ecg again - and asked me loads of questions about lifestyle and when the pain comes on. Said I had a soft systolic murmur - couldn't get me an echo slot today.
Her prognosis was mainly positive - but she said I wouldn't be able to all what I did (cycling and gym) if there was a significant heart problem. I always hate this because IMO cycling raises your pain threshold - therefore you push through when it hurts - I have asthma so getting of breath does happen on the hills .

Echo in due course.
Obviously more investigation is needed, but considering the possible things it could have been, it really doesn't sound too bad at all at this stage. I remember being told (by whom I can't remember, but it was a medical person during my own heart treatment) that a surprisingly large number of people have various murmurs and arrhythmias and they have no real effect.

As for cycling and gym, that will obviously depend on the full diagnosis and I guess it's probably wise to ease off a bit while you're waiting for that, but it might not have any long-term effect at all.

I had a heart attack leading to a quadruple bypass 12 years ago, which left me with an occasional arrhythmia - which I can sometimes feel as a kind of flutter. And when I wanted to join my local gym in January, I had to get clearance from my doc first.

He strongly supports my cycling and gym use - it probably helps that he's a cyclist, and the gym is used quite a bit for cardiac rehab. I do keep an eye on my HR (I wear a fitbit watch, which isn't as good as a chest monitor, but it's good enough for seeing relative levels) and he reckons that's a good thing to do - but he sees no reason why I should restrict my cycling at all.

As for the "push through when it hurts" thing, just don't push through chest pain!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
^^^ As above. Aged 61 I had a stent fitted following a heart attack. I’m fitter today than at anytime in perhaps 30 years.

The medics said my cycling reduced the impact of the heart attack and significantly aided my recovery.

Just follow the medical advice to the letter and don’t, as some do, think the internet knows better.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Right - big couple of days coming up:-

Had a minor off about a week ago - don't know if its related but around the same time I notice like a black spot floating in my eye - the spot seemed to be get smaller - but the anxiety kicked and I went to the GP - pretty sure he would say it was nowt - but precisley at the time of the appointment I got an episode of 'flashers' which I had before. He sent me straight to the eye hospital - who want to see me again tomorrow to check for retina detachment.

If I survive that I have the Echo scan on friday.

If both of these come back clear - I am ordering one of these - di2 - the works .....shite or bust folks

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/kuota-khydra-disc-ultegra-11s-bike#images-1

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Any update on how things are going kingrollo? Hopefully your just busting out the miles with a spangly new Di2?

Well because I kicked up fuss to get my echo in the timescales they had promised me - The guy who did the scan wouldn't give any hint of all was ok and was generally very arsey with me. - so have to wait to see consultant.

My eye is still sore at times - I go on holiday next week on my return will go back to gp and book eye test.
The eye hospital said so stuff behind your eye goes hard and starts to drop off - this gives the floaters - normally harmless - but as they drop off and can pull the retina with it - he couldn't see any evidence of that in my eye.

As for the bike - well more woe I am afraid - Yes I did place an order, I get quite a hefty saving if I go through the works cycle scheme (cyclesolutions) - unfortunately after placing the order the overall price came through £350 more - initially cycle-solutions told me extra discounts would be applied when they had my payroll details !!!! (yeah right) - eventually after many angry emails they informed me that only if I buying from them do I get the extra 10% discount quoted on the website - they themselves don't stock Kuota (actually they don't have much stock of anything)

Any being the adult that I am - I told them to stick voucher, and bike up there backside ! - kind of regret it now , as even at £2500 it is a good buy - but if your quoted £2200 - I was reluctant to buy at £2500

So overall, Eye still ropey but not serious, Ticker - probably ok for a 55 year old , and I am still riding my old Kuota ! - on the bright side genitals are still working normally ! hey ho !

Last edited:
Top Bottom