chinese roadie in LBS - disturbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

in the LBS yesterday I saw a chinese in full lycra roadie gear, fairly nice helmet, with a fairly new but basic looking road bike.
I wasn't sure what to make of this.
All his gear looked brand new, and very clean, which on a shallow level should be fairly nice thing to see, but on second thoughts I was slightly unsure. All his gear looked so clean it was like he's only just put it on - he looked like cycle clothing models do - not even sweaty. But he was already at the bike shop. He hadn't got changed into it there.
Also, he was wandering round the bike shop looking confused.

Being uncynical, a possible innocent explanation could be that he had just bought a load of cycle clothing in addition to buying a new bike there, so he could go for a ride on it instantly.
But this can't be the case, since he didn't have a bag containing his other clothes.
he could actually be working for the shop as a model for cycle clothing, but he was actually looking to leave with his bike.

What perturbs me is the fact that he was completely unsweaty. This could only be the case if he his journey to the bike shop has been an incredibly short one. If that's the case, then why was he in full lycra gear?
What I am concerned about is that he has been conned into believing that he needs full on lycra gear and road shoes for making quarter-mile journeys.
The inability to understand WHY he supposedly needs this get-up for such small journeys would explain his confusion.
Even more concerning is the possibility of a growing trend in cycle salesmen fleecing innocent orientals by selling them a completely unpragmatic notion of how cycling is done in britain.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Maybe this person had cycled slowly?
If I go at a none-sweaty type of pace, I can carry on for ever.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj, perhaps sometimes you should just keep your weirder musings to yourself. You are in danger of sounding like 'a big old racist', as Father Dougal might say...

yello

bonj said:
Even more concerning is the possibility of a growing trend in cycle salesmen fleecing innocent orientals by selling them a completely unpragmatic notion of how cycling is done in britain.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out.

Noodley

Bonj, another option is he was just setting off on a long ride when he saw you about to go into the shop and thought "excellent, let's wind bonj up".

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In an effort to take my mind off my work, I had a quick google, and it seems that Asian people have fewer epocrine glands, and so appear to sweat less than europeans... they do sweat, but in different ways. :ohmy:

yello

Fnaar said:
they do sweat, but in different ways. :ohmy:

They pant you mean? I think bonj would have noticed the tongue lolling out.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

jimscullion said:
And the relevance of this person being Chinese is what, exactly?

well, that the fact that he was chinese led the sales guys to believe he was going to be easy to convince that he needed to buy loads of lycra gear whether he needed it or not.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Well done to all the smartalecs who have deduced that he "may have just popped in before going on a massive long ride". It was fairly late in the evening, and he didn't have lights on.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
bonj, perhaps sometimes you should just keep your weirder musings to yourself. You are in danger of sounding like 'a big old racist', as Father Dougal might say...

if you read double figures of words of the OP, you'll see that i am actually sticking up for him rather than condemning him.

levad

Veteran
... that's what he was there to pick up, then. Lights, for a nice evening run into the country.

Top Bottom