Chocolate Bars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
I just bought some reintroduced cookies I loved to eat back in the early 70's. What they brought back is nowhere near the quality of the old ones with much less filling and a much more cheapo generic texture. They still want a small fortune for them though. I will boycott the parent company (take that Kellogg) for at least a year or two because of it now. :smile:

Lance Jack

Über Member
In the army we have 24hr ration packs, everything you need to eat and it works out about 2000 calories. All sorts of menus and they come in a box that is numbered so you try to get a different number/menu each time. You can have a Vegetarian/Halal/Kosher etc. Now, the old menus always had a Yorkie bar in, it had "Not for civvies" across it. Use to love that, middle of the night in the middle of some s*** hole, normally very cold or wet or both, I would eat that, Just made you feel a bit better about yourself. Problem is chocolate does not travel to well in hot sandy places so we got a whole new ration pack designed for us. Out went the Yorkie, in came NUTS! Sometimes fruit and NUTS! Nuts do not make you feel better about yourself.
Fed up just writing about that, how could they swap chocolate for nuts!:banghead:

Doseone

Guru
Whilst at the other end of the scale chocolate makers now seem to think they are making fine french wine and there now seems to be an abundance of "artisan" chocolatiers who make hand made chocolates that pound for pound are more expensive than gold.

@Lance Jack 2000 calories doesn't sound a lot to keep you going for 24 hrs!

Arch

Married to Night Train
The irony is that the two fingers one cost more for EXACTLY the same thing but I still prefer them!

As for popping tops off smarties, its to do with security of preventing people with tampering with your food on the shelf. Obviously the new card tubes are cheaper but I think they probably would have stuck with it.

If you buy them in multipacks, and time it right for the offers (or get lucky in the poundshop), you can get 9 x 2fingers for a quid. Call it 11p each. Four fingers for 22p, I doubt you'll find a 4finger for that anywhere!

The Smarties thing is rubbish, if they were worried about food security, they could put a plastic sleeve seal on the cap.

I remember when 4finger kitkats went to flow-wrap, it made a story on the Today programme. John Humphrys was questioning a chap from Nestle. The Nestle chap said that the flow wrap meant the bars stayed fresher. Humphrys asked "So, you mean we've been eating stale kitkats all this time?"

"Well, no, of course not"
"So, why do they need to be fresher?"
"Well, this flow wrap keeps them fresher for longer"
"But they weren't stale before..."

It went on for some time, and Humphrys went for the guy like he'd go for a dodgy cabinet minister...

potsy

Rambler
I have recently become addicted to Aldi's Marathon/Snicker-a-like chocolate bars (and I don't even like Snickers) :unsure: :hungry:

Still can't beat a Double Decker though :mrpig:

400bhp

Guru
What. The. Actual. Feck. Is. Going. On?

I bought an Aero earlier today, a mint one, the layer of chocolate on it was so thin I could see the green stuff through it.

KitKats where's the chocolate gone?

Club Biscuits "if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club" Well Don't!

Lion Bar I had earlier today, feck all chocolate on it compared to what they used to have years ago.

The world has gone to hell in a hand basket, so it has.

Bit peckish today - nom nom nom:mrpig:

400bhp

Guru
asking:laugh:

In the army we have 24hr ration packs, everything you need to eat and it works out about 2000 calories. All sorts of menus and they come in a box that is numbered so you try to get a different number/menu each time. You can have a Vegetarian/Halal/Kosher etc. Now, the old menus always had a Yorkie bar in, it had "Not for civvies" across it. Use to love that, middle of the night in the middle of some s*** hole, normally very cold or wet or both, I would eat that, Just made you feel a bit better about yourself. Problem is chocolate does not travel to well in hot sandy places so we got a whole new ration pack designed for us. Out went the Yorkie, in came NUTS! Sometimes fruit and NUTS! Nuts do not make you feel better about yourself.
Fed up just writing about that, how could they swap chocolate for nuts!:banghead:

The Yorkies were reckoned to be a drop in quality from the Duncans that precceedded them, just as the fruit biscuits were never the same after they abandoned the Garibaldi style.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Whilst at the other end of the scale chocolate makers now seem to think they are making fine french wine and there now seems to be an abundance of "artisan" chocolatiers who make hand made chocolates that pound for pound are more expensive than gold.

And taste like shite!

Wilkinsons do bags of sweets and their peanuts in chocolate are really good. Lots of cocoa and a bitter hint in the chocolate and not over sweet.
Last Saturday evening I managed to eat a whole packet by mistake. 900 calories!
Still trying to cycle it off.

Top Bottom