City Link has gone into administration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And the self employed owner drivers like my daughters partner who have been doing up to 200 local business deliveries and collections a day are likely to get 5% of bugger all!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Jobs increasing in the private sector and money decreasing.................in the pocket. Modern day slavery.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My son in law is a delivery driver. 40 parcels per day is nothing. His usual number is around 100 to 150. In the run up tp Christmas it was 300 plus per day and he had to have a couple of friends help him. The rate depends on where you are delivering, whether in a town, or rural, or city. He gets no sick pay, no holidays, he spends around £30.00 per day on diesel. Some deliveries are so far out that it costs more in diesel than he gets paid to deliver the parcel. Wear and tear on his van is tremendous, and of course there is no help there either.

On the other hand, there are few jobs in this area, so being a delivery driver is better than being unemployed. Its a terrible shame for the drivers and theyre families at any time of the year, but especially now, at Christmas.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
My son in law is a delivery driver. 40 parcels per day is nothing. His usual number is around 100 to 150. In the run up tp Christmas it was 300 plus per day and he had to have a couple of friends help him. The rate depends on where you are delivering, whether in a town, or rural, or city. He gets no sick pay, no holidays, he spends around £30.00 per day on diesel. Some deliveries are so far out that it costs more in diesel than he gets paid to deliver the parcel. Wear and tear on his van is tremendous, and of course there is no help there either.

On the other hand, there are few jobs in this area, so being a delivery driver is better than being unemployed. Its a terrible shame for the drivers and theyre families at any time of the year, but especially now, at Christmas.[/QUOTE]

This is were the exploitation comes into it.

This is were the exploitation comes into it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There is an answer to this of course.

All we, the consumers, have to do, is tell suppliers we will only buy from them if they use a delivery company that will pay a living wage. Immediately those that don't are out of business. But of course if consumers just want the cheapest possible option then keep choosing the cheapest supplier on Amazon and accept the consequences. Can't have it both ways unfortunately

maltloaf

to be honest the writing has been on the wall for City Link for a while. They have been touting for a buyer for about 18m to 2y. I remember Yodel were thinking of buying in and also Amazon paid an interest but none of this came off.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
to be honest the writing has been on the wall for City Link for a while. They have been touting for a buyer for about 18m to 2y. I remember Yodel were thinking of buying in and also Amazon paid an interest but none of this came off.

Can you imagine City Link & Yodel :surrender:

vickster

Legendary Member
Who else will companies find to chuck deliveries over a fence/gate even when you are at home awaiting a 'delivery' of something you have spent a lot of money on (and taken a day off work to receive the purchase) GOOD RIDDANCE.:cursing:
Yodel and Hermes!

classic33

Leg End Member
Who else will companies find to chuck deliveries over a fence/gate even when you are at home awaiting a 'delivery' of something you have spent a lot of money on (and taken a day off work to receive the purchase) GOOD RIDDANCE.:cursing:
Parcel Force!

Top Bottom