Classic youtube replies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another fella - Paul Davies (stupid enough to use his real name! Or, at least it looks that way.)

Posted this on:

View: http://youtu.be/dfQ3IAAUZ-I

YOUR A PAIR OF PRICKS YOU SHOULDNT BE ON THE f***IN ROAD YOU DONT PAY ROAD TAX AND ITS DICKHEADS LIKE YOU THAT GIVE CYCLISTS A BAD NAME WHY NOT GET A LIFE INSTEAD OF GOING AROUND FILMING s***E AND BULLYING 12 YEAR OLD KIDS

I don't even know who the "pair" are. I'm only 1 person. :rolleyes: I'm also guessing he's not a cyclist so why say I give them a bad name? Idiot.

They got a point. I can understand carrying a camera to provide evidence in the event that Johnny Driver knocks you off one day, but filming such incidents for pleasure and then posting them on Pooptube is a hobby beneath even Norris from Coronation Street in terms of its 'sadness' quotient.

sabian92

Über Member
They got a point. I can understand carrying a camera to provide evidence in the event that Johnny Driver knocks you off one day, but filming such incidents for pleasure and then posting them on Pooptube is a hobby beneath even Norris from Coronation Street in terms of its 'sadness' quotient.

I don't do it as a hobby. Driver does something dangerous (regardless if I get hit or not) and it goes on Youtube, and if it's a works vehicle a nice email to their employers about how they're abusing company vehicles.

What's wrong with that?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I don't do it as a hobby. Driver does something dangerous (regardless if I get hit or not) and it goes on Youtube, and if it's a works vehicle a nice email to their employers about how they're abusing company vehicles.

What's wrong with that?

Can't see anything wrong with it,I'd just like drivers to be more aware myself and hope my videos may actually show some lunacy that happens.I have two absolute screamers from out here in Thailand to post on U-Tube when I get back,luckily the second one didn't lead to fatalities but it could have.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

That's a surprising and somewhat disappointing point of view. Shouldn't you have a bit more social responsibility than that, especially considering your career choice?

TBF I doubt any of us get any pleasure from filming bad driving. I get pleasure from cycling, and I'd much prefer not to have some 1-in-5000 James Blunt try to bully me or to risk my life. I don't want to have to film it, but given the historic govt. unwillingness to fund and set traffic policing objectives, it seems that many cyclists feel we have little choice left but to do this. The point of filming, of course, is to bring some consequences to road pirate behaviour, and to encourage people not to do that sort of thing to cyclists in future. I might get a little satisfaction from the justice it brings when a driver can't argue and/or lie about his misbehaviour, and gets consequences for it, but fun? Not a 'k, mate, it's a whole load of hard work that I'd much rather not have to do at all.

sabian92

Über Member
Can't see anything wrong with it,I'd just like drivers to be more aware myself and hope my videos may actually show some lunacy that happens.I have two absolute screamers from out here in Thailand to post on U-Tube when I get back,luckily the second one didn't lead to fatalities but it could have.

Indeed which is why I personally do it. I'm not some sort of anorak who likes filming remotely close passes and screaming "OH MY GOD THAT CAR NEARLY KILLED ME I'M GOING TO THE POLICE", my channel even says on it:

This channel is my little outlet into the world. It's for me to upload bad examples of pedestrian-ing, driving, and general peril on the roads of the UK.

I would rather not this become a honeypot for trolls and arguments - this isn't what it's about.

Thank you.

That's a surprising and somewhat disappointing point of view. Shouldn't you have a bit more social responsibility than that, especially considering your career choice?

TBF I doubt any of us get any pleasure from filming bad driving. I get pleasure from cycling, and I'd much prefer not to have some 1-in-5000 James Blunt try to bully me or to risk my life. I don't want to have to film it, but given the historic govt. unwillingness to fund and set traffic policing objectives, it seems that many cyclists feel we have little choice left but to do this. The point of filming, of course, is to bring some consequences to road pirate behaviour, and to encourage people not to do that sort of thing to cyclists in future. I might get a little satisfaction from the justice it brings when a driver can't argue and/or lie about his misbehaviour, and gets consequences for it, but fun? Not a 'k, mate, it's a whole load of hard work that I'd much rather not have to do at all.

Indeed, I get quite a lot of joy from riding a bike. It's free, you're out with the wind blowing and it's generally pretty nice. I don't see why I should have to wear a camera to potentially prosecute drivers who think it's perfectly safe to pass me at 40mph+ with a 7.5ton lorry, or squeeze me with a trailer from a 40ton lorry, or even drive at me on the wrong side of the road, but I do because if not then what will happen then - they'll do it again and kill somebody?

Davidsw8

When I started filming my journeys, I must admit I was compiling every instance together just to show people what you face on a continual basis while cycling - mainly because I was new to cycling in London and was really shocked at how bad it was.

I quickly realised this was pointless and a waste of my time. I now only publish to YouTube those instances where someone has committed an actual offence or situations which were potentially extremely dangerous. In those instances, the link gets sent to Roadsafe or the company of the driver (if applicable). Quite often, I'll just want the company to request their drivers take more notice of cyclists - they say they'll do this but whether they actually do or not is another matter.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I don't actually think most of the time drivers actually appreciate how scary a close pass at speed is or how lunatic it looks when a car is drifting or driving slow due to the fact that the driver is either texting or talking on the phone or under the influence of something a bit stronger than Bisodol,heck i don't know perhaps they can't see too well or whatever.How about if the offending drivers in some of the close escapes I have had actually saw it from a camera of a cyclist the pulled out on in front of,closes passed,perhaps they could appreciate it a bit more.In no way are my videos intended to get back at motorists as in no way do I think they do it deliberately although it may be appalling driving or yet another squeeze past pass.

Texting and using the phone while driving I find generally leads to poor lane positioning and lack of planning.Oh yeah,I may be angry at the time I make the video and I may find I am swearing when an offence takes place,that's just the way I am.

Drago

Legendary Member

What's wrong with that?
Apart from emailing their employers, it's pointless. It serves no purposes, other than saddling cyclists with an even worse image to that which we already have.

sabian92

Über Member
Apart from emailing their employers, it's pointless. It serves no purposes, other than saddling cyclists with an even worse image to that which we already have.

Not really, if a driver does something to endanger my life I'm going to kick up a stink about it because if we become complacent then that is when somebody gets killed.

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Not really, if a driver does something to endanger my life I'm going to kick up a stink about it because if we become complacent then that is when somebody gets killed.
Agree there, if this behaviour is to be ignored as "normal" then it will continue. At least now some drivers might get a letter and frankly I think cam cyclists aren't the ones giving "us" a bad name as that is the job of those red light jumpers and pavement riders it seems.

I do however find it funny how everyone seems to accept the bad behaviour of drivers as "normal" instead of viewing them as the real danger they are and bemoaning them for giving drivers as a group a bad name....

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

At the risk (again) of invoking Godwin's Law we ALL have a responsibility to highlight where things are going wrong. For far too long cyclists assumed they should just hug the gutter and take the crappy overtakes... there werent that many of us down here in Southampton for a start until the past 2 years - its taken REAL effort to highlight issues.

And when we did highlight those issues and explain "that's why people wont cycle" we were told "where is your proof?"

Well now technology has provided us with the means of proof. It would be socially irresponsible not to document and promote. Its not done for money, fame, its done because we all want the same safety and consideration others have been blessed with in other Euro countries

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It serves no purpose? I guess all the campaigning I have done has been a waste.. working with roadsafe london to make reporting videos to the police easy, working with police at looking how tfl operate around taxi complaints and pushing things forward, the numerous prosecutions, fines and section 59's where a total waste of time?

So much of a waste in time that I didn't talk about videoing and using the road on radio, tv and national cycling campaigns. oh wait, i did.

Top Bottom