Classic youtube replies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apart from emailing their employers, it's pointless. It serves no purposes, other than saddling cyclists with an even worse image to that which we already have.
Where do the drivers who've had police letters (often delivered by hand, no less) following one of my videos fit into your generalisation?
Where does the NHS Trust now actively considering including cyclist-awareness in their biennial driver refresher and assessment sessions fit in?
Where does the local taxi company who have VERY, VERY substantially improved their driving standards fit in?
Where do the commendations individual bus drivers have received fit in?

Just as an aside, and this is not directed at you particularly, Drago, but what exactly is this business of "image"? Some thoughts

a) On my bike, I intend to get from A to B, with as much pleasure and safety as possible. End of. I really don't give a tuppenny whatever about "image" - mine, that of cycling/cyclists, or anybody.
b) On a petrolhead forum, I wonder what the response would be to "that kind of driving gives us Corsa drivers an even worse image than we already have." [edit - I refuse all responsibility for monitors spoiled by spluttered coffee!]
c) I suspect, 9 times out of 10, the "image" argument is pulled out to try and hide the fact that the poster .......... actually hasn't got any argument at all.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I don't actually think most of the time drivers actually appreciate how scary a close pass at speed is
Exactly the point which I am trying to get across in my "Close pass compilations". I have some very close ones this month which I will be uploading next weekend.

The only reason I upload things isnt really to just 'name and shame' drivers, but more to bring it to peoples attention that this isnt the way we should be acting on the roads. I dont think trolls understand that. They just seem to think cyclist 'pick' on drivers for minor misdameaners when actually, its a lot more serious than that.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not really, if a driver does something to endanger my life I'm going to kick up a stink about it because if we become complacent then that is when somebody gets killed.
Not that I would, but if I cut you up I couldn't care if you posted it on YouTube. Why should I? It makes no odds to me - after all, ive just committed the act in public so why should I care if you pop it in YouTube where the only people who search for such videos are saddos?

Emailing the employer I can understand. Posting it on YouTube does nothing except make you look as sad as the offending driver is stupid.

No one takes this rubbish seriously except enthusiastic cyclists, and were already converted to the cause.

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Not that I would, but if I cut you up I couldn't care if you posted it on YouTube. Why should I? It makes no odds to me - after all, ive just committed the act in public so why should I care if you pop it in YouTube where the only people who search for such videos are saddos?

Emailing the employer I can understand. Posting it on YouTube does nothing except make you look as sad as the offending driver is stupid.

No one takes this rubbish seriously except enthusiastic cyclists, and were already converted to the cause.

What exactly makes people who post or view the clips saddos? Just because you seemingly couldn't care if your poor driving is posted on YouTube there have been instances where the drivers have found the clips. Some have made requests to take them down, some have argued what they did wasn't that bad and some have apologized. To me that shows the videos do work.

As for what people choose to watch on YouTube I think it's incredibly unfair to judge people based on that. There are plenty of clips of trains driving through stations, buses, video games etc. That don't really interest me but I don't label those who watch or post them "saddos" as they clearly enjoy the subject matter so why shouldn't they share it.

As a few others have said by highlighting this poor driving we encounter we hope to show what poor conditions and treatment cyclists have to put up with and if things change (such as what Gaz mentioned) then it's worth it.

Drago

Legendary Member
The mere act of posting makes them sad, the plural of which is saddo. It's the cycling equivalent of filming a day out at a Cardigan Convention and posting it on the web.

It does nothing to highlight poor driving, and everything to rub non-cyclists up the wrong way. Nothing whatsoever has changed on the roads since people started doing this, and nothing whatsoever will change if you all stopped doing it today.

Do you honestly think habitual bad drivers log into the Interweb just view these videos, and then go away soberly thinking how they're going to buck their ideas up? The only people that watch them are other camera users and people who already hate cyclists.

Highlights bad driving, eh? Highlights it to who? Cycle cam users who already know about it? Cycle haters who'd happily see us off the roads anyway? There's no third party audience, no legion of ordinary Joes who watch these videos and turn to religion as a consequence. Every road user witnesses these scenes first had pretty much daily already, so how does witnessing them again add anything?

Don't kid yourself that this activity serves any useful purpose.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The mere act of posting makes them sad, the plural of which is saddo. It's the cycling equivalent of filming a day out at a Cardigan Convention and posting it on the web.

It does nothing to highlight poor driving, and everything to rub non-cyclists up the wrong way. Nothing whatsoever has changed on the roads since people started doing this, and nothing whatsoever will change if you all stopped doing it today.

Do you honestly think habitual bad drivers log into the Interweb just view these videos, and then go away soberly thinking how they're going to buck their ideas up? The only people that watch them are other camera users and people who already hate cyclists.

Highlights bad driving, eh? Highlights it to who? Cycle cam users who already know about it? Cycle haters who'd happily see us off the roads anyway? There's no third party audience, no legion of ordinary Joes who watch these videos and turn to religion as a consequence. Every road user witnesses these scenes first had pretty much daily already, so how does witnessing them again add anything?

TBH I'm now wondering why you bothered to critique the philosophy behind the videos. You clearly havent read or care what others have said here. That means realistically that you let the side down when it comes to safe cycling. This is not to upset you but to make you realise the importance of evidence in this modern age.

People, politicians, police in many cases (certainly down here) and councils wouldnt listen to us about cycling issues before. The cameras have had a part in forcing their hand in many cases to look at their indifference and attempt to provide solutions. They have also had a part in educating newer cyclists (eg Gaz's Silly Cyclists)

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Did you actually read Gaz's reply (no. 932)? It certainly seems from there that the videoing of poor driving incidents is having an effect. Now that Roadsafe are improving how they handle video footage submitted to them more drives will start getting letters or a visit from the police which I'm pretty certain WILL have an effect on them.

There is also the incredibly successful Silly Cyclist series which has 1000's of subscribers and positive comments, I've even had comments on my channel from other cyclists saying that after watching some of my clips they have adjusted how they ride to make them safer, just a single comment like that to me makes it all worth it.

As for every road user witnessing these first hand I don't quite see how that's possible unless they are a cyclist themselves? I very much doubt any non-cyclists have the foggiest idea how uncomfortable and at times unsettling it can be to be passed with mere inches to spare by someone in 1 1/2 ton metal box. Or to have someone race past them only to cut them up and turn left. This sort of behaviour isn't acceptable hence more and more cyclists have decided that we don't have to put up with it anymore and are running camera's to highlight it. After all silence on the matter will only mean it continues however if enough people complain someone will take notice.

sabian92

Über Member

I don't care if you care. I don't do it for other people, I do it (primarily) for me - If I want to post videos online then I will, and if it helps somebody else then great. Most of the videos I've got on my channel are sent to the employers of the driver.

I'd like to think that if you did something dangerous you would care that you endangered somebody else. If not then you may as well just give up your driving licence as it's a case of "when not if" before you seriously injure or kill somebody.

Not really - there are far worse videos on YouTube. I don't force people to subscribe to my videos. I only have 45 subscribers or so but they are free to unsubscribe if they like.
It does everything to highlight bad driving - the point is drivers now know that a (comparative) few cyclists wear cameras now and that they are open to being caught out and prosecuted for dangerous driving, but the fact they know means they should be careful. If I catch drivers I tell them what I do and how they can find their videos so they can see how dangerous their driving is. Drivers don't think being overtaken with 6 inches to spare at 40mph is that scary when in fact it's f**king terrifying, even more so if it's a lorry.
Tell somebody like CycleGaz and Magnatom that what they do is pointless. I'd like to see their reaction to that.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

I think you're pretty sad, clearly you haven't properly read what some of us have said, you're stuck in your opinions and you keep blathering on.

It doesn't? Oh, then I guess the videos of mine which have appeared on TV, on various websites and in national cycle campaigns don't highlight poor driving.
Maybe you haven't seen any changes on the road in you area. But in London, over the years there has been a noticeable difference with bus drivers. This came about from some of us receiving some poor driving from them and reporting them to TFL. The companies have since changed their driver training to include cycle training.

Of course not, but some of us have seen the drivers comment on the videos or contact us about them, how do you think this happens? Perhaps they know to look up online because some of us occasional say "search your numberplate on youtube" Or because the police have sent them a letter about their poor driving and include the details of the video which appears online.

Highlights it to whoever wants to listen, I guess 3,000,000 video views is just going to be cyclists and people who hate cyclists. I guess the comments from people saying "I'm not a cyclist, but i've learnt the troubles they face and driver extra cautiously around them" are from the cycle haters?
You may think it is pointless putting the videos on youtube, but for us in London, it certainly isn't. We can put them on youtube, send them to Roadsafe London and the next day a traffic officer is looking at that video and thinking about what action can be taken against the driver/company, is that pointless? Or can we bring real consequences to those that treat the road like their playground and put people in danger!
I don't need to, I know exactly what I have achieved, i've detailed some of those achievements in previous posts and whilst you may think it is a pointless task, i bet the drivers who have been issued with fines, prosecutions, points on their licenses, section 59's on their vehicles and letters from the police would disagree with you.

What exactly are you doing to make the roads better for cyclists in you area?

I agree with earlier posts criticising your opinion here. These videos have had an effect. I’d also say it’s far too early to think nothing will change in relation to driver behavior/attitude towards cyclists as a result of such postings. A c change in behavior can take time – look at the public attitude towards drink driving for example. One or two individuals posting videos on YouTube might have an immeasurable effect, but as more and more cyclists (and drivers) fit ever cheaper and better cameras, and as prosecutions of bad driver’s increase as a direct result of the evidence collected by such devices, I think even the most ignorant driver might just start to think twice about cutting up the cyclist or jumping the lights etc if they thought there was a pretty good chance their actions were recorded.
Granted, in an ideal world it wouldn’t just be fear of prosecution that stopped such attitudes, but after witnessing some of the disgusting behavior I see a minority of drivers get up to on a regular basis, I’d feel a lot happier for the prospect of greater road safety knowing that the number of people making such videos is increasing.
Give it time and as the technology improves I’m sure the optional fitting of such cameras and black box devices in all sorts of vehicles will be commonplace if not just for the lower insurance premiums.

Davidsw8

I've had some very encouraging e-mails back from employers of drivers who (so they tell me anyway) say they've had a word with the driver concerned about their driving. I've only ever suggested that the driver be reminded to be more mindful - people do get so complacent and I think the odd reminder can only be for the good.

Couple of months ago (and this isn't traffic-related but I was on my bike and filmed it), I was waiting for a van to reverse and a builder walked behind me, opened a heavy steel gate to my left, let the gate swing open and it slammed into the van and knocked it's wing mirror bandy. I emailed the vid clip to the building firm who said they had a word with all the builders to be mindful not to let this particular gate swing open into the road and they even printed a special sign to this effect to put on the gate. I saw the sign a couple days later. No one got in any real bother over that and maybe some pedestrian won't get a steel gate in the face now...

Also, I don't think the videos will impact the drivers' behaviour but I do think another effect of them is to reinforce to cyclists like myself that you really need to expect the unexpected when cycling around. We don't exist in a bubble, stuff happens to everyone and it's handy to see that.

Really? I think the senior police officer who called me last night, regarding the driving of one of his officers, might just disagree. I'd venture to suggest he'd be mightily p****d off at the suggestion that nothing will change as the result of his interest in one of my videos.

No more details from me on this one. I value the friendly support of the police far too highly to even think of jeopardising it.

But, Drago - bottom line is that you haven't much idea of how cycle-cammers use their videos. You've chosen some sort of lowest-common-denominator - and randomly applied it to all, with no apparent interest in listening.

Get your brain in gear - there are ways
  • of "throwing out videos" to no real purpose;
  • AND of "using videos for real effect" (even if small and incremental).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hahahaha, you make me laugh Drago. Honestly, why are you even a policeman with that belief system? You clearly believe your own work has no useful effect, and I imagine you must be very depressed about that.

Anyway, it's a good thing your views are largely wrong. Drivers *really* hate to have their rego and shameful behaviour online on YouTube, and it's made many of our repeat customers behave considerably differently on their second encounters. It's a tremendously effective campaigning tool, and it's very obviously so from the comments we get back from many drivers.

Top Bottom