Close Contact Self Isolation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the app is meant to be clever enough to work out how close and for how long before flagging it up.
I can't see how any APP knows where I sat in KFC!

I would assume the APP knows who was where and when and then if someone reports that they have Covid then their steps will be re-traced and everyone who was in the same place at the same time will be contacted, can't really work any other way surely?

classic33

Leg End Member
So why do you need to isolate if you test negative - makes no sense!!
You don't, so long as certain criteria are met. See,
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/what-your-test-result-means/

midlife

Guru
The App is meant to measure distance between you and the other person (who has the app turned on) and for how long. Be that in KFC or on the golf course. It then has parameters that flag an alert. Closer than 2 metres for 15 mins for example.

Human tracers should contact the positive person and ask who they met, how close and for how long. That includes who they were eating with at KFC.

Wow, didn't realise that.

So when I go to my local and sit at a table with 2 others it would know which people I was with, providing they used the APP, and if someone across the room used the APP and proved positive I would be ok as I've not been close enough to them to be at risk.

Can't really see how that can work indoors though as I assume GPS would be required to ascertain how close I was to someone and that's going to be a little difficult.

Cheers for the info though.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
The App is meant to measure distance between you and the other person (who has the app turned on) and for how long. Be that in KFC or on the golf course. It then has parameters that flag an alert. Closer than 2 metres for 15 mins for example.

Human tracers should contact the positive person and ask who they met, how close and for how long. That includes who they were eating with at KFC.
Oh the good old tried , tested and qualified human tracers. What we’d give for rooms full of them right now.

midlife

Guru
The App is completely anonymous, stores no data. The data you gave to the pub when you went in may well lead to track and trace contacting you and telling you to isolate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Wow, didn't realise that.

So when I go to my local and sit at a table with 2 others it would know which people I was with, providing they used the APP, and if someone across the room used the APP and proved positive I would be ok as I've not been close enough to them to be at risk.

Can't really see how that can work indoors though as I assume GPS would be required to ascertain how close I was to someone and that's going to be a little difficult.

Cheers for the info though.
The app doesn't use GPS. The phone uses Bluetooth to broadcast it's presence, these signals are picked up by other phones. The app is able to calculate the distance between individuals and how long those individuals were close to each other.

If two users are within two metres of each other for 15 minutes this is recorded as a "close contact."

If a user tests positive he/she is given a code to enter in to the app. The app then looks up all the phones it has been in contact with.

Any phone which has had a "close contact" - two metres, 15 minutes - is sent an alert.

If, for example, you stand by someone in a supermarket queue two metres apart for five minutes you don't get an alert.

midlife

Guru
The app doesn't use GPS. The phone uses Bluetooth to broadcast it's presence, these signals are picked up by other phones. The app is able to calculate the distance between individuals and how long those individuals were close to each other.

If two users are within two metres of each other for 15 minutes this is recorded as a "close contact."

If a user tests positive he/she is given a code to enter in to the app. The app then looks up all the phones it has been in contact with.

Any phone which has had a "close contact" - two metres, 15 minutes - is sent an alert.

If, for example, you stand by someone in a supermarket queue two metres apart for five minutes you don't get an alert.

Thanks for explaining it better than my effort :smile:

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

How does this work for professional footballers then?

I see that Sadio Mane tested positive and having played Arsenal two days before...he would have been more than 1m inside someone, even spat on the ground, tackled, hugged and high fived his way off, got changed, showered next to someone, had a rub down the next day from the club medics.... it goes on and on....

Did the whole Arsenal team get a text message the same as mine?? did Mane's rub down guy get one?? Did the Liverpool players who helped him celebrate his goal get one ?? No because they all played yesterday as did Arsenal. Thats when you understand why some people are up in arms about it.

Ripple

Veteran
I'm just curious.

Self isolation finished and you show no symptoms and you're free to leave the house. You go for shopping and when you come back home the app says that you've been in a close contact with somebody who has got covid.

What should you do? Self isolate for another 14 days again?

midlife

Guru
I'm just curious.

Self isolation finished and you show no symptoms and you're free to leave the house. You go for shopping and when you come back home the app says that you've been in a close contact with somebody who has got covid.

What should you do? Self isolate for another 14 days again?

Yep, where I worked today this is starting to play out.....

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Yep, where I worked today this is starting to play out.....
Thats ridiculous though, people won't be able to get paid for all this time off work. What about the guys who are temps in warehouses and logistics centres, they need that money, if they brush past someone with COVID who might not know they've got it, they're out of a job!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
How does this work for professional footballers then?

I see that Sadio Mane tested positive and having played Arsenal two days before...he would have been more than 1m inside someone, even spat on the ground, tackled, hugged and high fived his way off, got changed, showered next to someone, had a rub down the next day from the club medics.... it goes on and on....

Did the whole Arsenal team get a text message the same as mine?? did Mane's rub down guy get one?? Did the Liverpool players who helped him celebrate his goal get one ?? No because they all played yesterday as did Arsenal. Thats when you understand why some people are up in arms about it.
I don't pretend to understand how it works for PL footballers and I don't really care. I'm sure with some research you could discover what the PL have done in their attempts to limit infection and spread. It must be pretty rigorous.

I realise you're unhappy about the situation but this is all about the population as a whole and not footballers - it's easy to work out who they have had contact with.

Top Bottom