Coffee shop security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
It's an awful state of affairs though when you can't leave your bike for a few moments whilst you pop in to order a coffee. If I'm by myself ,I usually ask someone politely who is sitting outside to just keep an eye on my bike. Must people are usually very obliging. Obviously I never ask a group of youngsters but someone who is more mature.
It's not like that everywhere, people around here just prop their bikes against walls and don't worry about locks.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But, apart from the opportunist thief, if they really wanted to nick it, they'll likely be "going equipped" and a café lock won't stop 'em.
At our (vegan)coffee house, many of the tables are right on the sidewalk, next to the bikes. Try to steal a bicycle there, and you'd get hit with a steel cafe chair before the cops hauled you away. I have it a bit easier, as my bicycles are 60-62cm, so
1) Thieves don't want them, as they are hard to fence.
2) I worked private security, someone would advise you not to take the bike, were I not aware.

postman

Legendary Member
Padlock and chain.Who cares about weight weenies.I go out on the bike for exercise,to visit places,i would like my bike to be there when i step outside again.Mind you even locked up i keep my eye on it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
All a bit haphazard really. I generally ride with my club. Quite a number of our regular haunts either offer secure bike racks and locks or let us park round the back - several places do this as they know us (too) well.

Other cafes if I remember I'll lock it to someone else. If I forget someone usually locks it to theirs.

Quite a few of us have a habit of forgetting to remove Garmins. Usually someone will collect it for you!

I'm more disciplined when on my own and try to lock it in sight.

Overall though it's rare for the club or solo to visit an area where I feel there is a risk. We're lucky to live where we do.

I worry more about garage security than I do cafe. Currently I'm looking for a very loud, solar powered alarm. My garage is 500 yards from the house up a quiet lane. Once a thief got in there'd be plenty of time to overcome any physical locks. The garage backs on to a neighbour's house and I know, if they heard it, they would respond.

Last edited:

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Padlock and chain.Who cares about weight weenies.I go out on the bike for exercise,to visit places,i would like my bike to be there when i step outside again.Mind you even locked up i keep my eye on it.
It does seem bizarre that the cyclists carrying a bit too much body weight seem to obsess over a couple of kilos of D-lock. It all seems like good training to carry the extra weight anyway....

Top Bottom