Coffee shop security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We now have a drive through Costa near us, I wonder if it is also a cycle through.............^_^:eek:
Give it a go. My bottle cage is one of those shapes which will accept a coffee cup but we've no drive-through Costa.
M-Wave-M-Wave-340966-portabidon,-Color-Silver,-54-G-86123295.jpg

Mucky D generally refuse to serve cyclists at the drive-through but I've no desire to try that anyway. The food and cafe cabins on Station Road Cambridge are fine with it but then they would be :laugh:

Well, no, he's standing in front of it, taking a photo. That's pretty good security.

It wouldn't be much good if someone ran up wearing a hood or mask and jumped on it and pootled off.

"hey look, here's my last ever photo of my expensive bike!"

I always stick the bike in the highest gear possible when leaving it outside a cafe

I suspect opportunists wouldn't have much idea how to shift the gearing and there's no way they're going to be fast away on 50/11

Or they could just walk away with it.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I was at a McD drive-through in Hampshire because I didn't have a bike lock (was craving a strawberry milkshake part-way through a ride).

"I'm sorry, we can't serve you if you are on a bicycle."
"Really? I don't have any reverse gear! How will I get back out?"
"Oh... well, we can serve you this time."

Either a bit thick or really didn't care much.

Sixmile

Veteran
Generally I'll just take a calculated risk and not lock up and other times when I can be bothered to switch on my Bluetooth I'll link to my SeeSense lights that set an alarm off on my phone if my bike is touched. Setting the bike in the highest gear is a good tip!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was at a McD drive-through in Hampshire because I didn't have a bike lock (was craving a strawberry milkshake part-way through a ride).

"I'm sorry, we can't serve you if you are on a bicycle."
"Really? I don't have any reverse gear! How will I get back out?"
"Oh... well, we can serve you this time."

Either a bit thick or really didn't care much.
Which makes another point, would McDonald's refuse service to a motorcyclist? Or a moped? Or an electric bike or trike?

Hyslop

Veteran
I thought this thread was going to be about Coffee Shop Bouncers, like a door man at Bettys, (overpriced pretentious cafe in York and Harrogate for our foreign readers)
Me too,then I thought,best find out where this café is if its rough!

Hyslop

Veteran
I just put some photos of the ex around the bike. ( believe me it will scare even the most hardened criminals away)
Its a while since I had a coffee whist out on the bike,but on the last occasion the café was full of some WI types,hulking great brutes they were.The bike was safe and I survived,but attractive as my legs are in Lycra it was touch and go...if you get my drift!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always stick the bike in the highest gear possible when leaving it outside a cafe

I suspect opportunists wouldn't have much idea how to shift the gearing and there's no way they're going to be fast away on 50/11
Given the location of one of my favourite local cafes, I think that I have spotted a flaw in that approach ... :whistle:

Cafe at top of steep hill.jpg

:laugh:

Broadside

Guru
When I have been caught out without enough food Ina long ride and the only option is a supermarket I take the front wheel off the bike and take it in with me. The bike isn't rideable and a casual thief won't bother with it because of the hassle of having to replace a wheel.

[QUOTE 4885071, member: 43827"]A friend tells the story (probably apocryphal) of going to a football match in Liverpool about 30 years ago. Some local kids came up to him and said it was a rough area and they'd guard his car from being stolen for a couple of quid.
[/QUOTE]
This also happened to Ogri

We now have a drive through Costa near us, I wonder if it is also a cycle through.............^_^:eek:
Kirsty, a friend of mine, who was in a wheelchair for a while, as a result of Lyme Disease, tried it at McDonalds (with an accomplice pushing), but were refused drive-through service (possibly, the one at Pontefract, after volunteering at the ParkRun)

Last edited:
Top Bottom