Coffee shop security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Alarmed Yale cafe lock in the back of beyond (and set the shifters to drop the chain because I'm paranoid like that). I fancy my chances sprinting to catch someone failing to ride a bike.

In town, alarmed cable lock through the front wheel, frame and parking, D-lock through the back wheel, frame and parking. It's a blooming long walk home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I guess so , on the club rides it would be very easy though, some places there can be 20 + bikes

.. of which happened to an old member of this forum in Richmond Park. A few friends left their bikes outside the cafe, someone standing guard watching, but still someone half inched his bike. Right under their noses.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Find a decent cafe :okay:
22097050589_2af7a2b225_z.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Most cafes it would be difficult to steal a bike from without people noticing.
They might notice but not realise that something untoward was happening! I have heard of cases of thieves dressed as cyclists walking up to bikes, climbing onboard and riding them round the corner to a mate in a van.

When we stopped at Eureka on nickyboy's Llandudno ride there were rows and rows of unlocked bikes with their owners in the cafe or out the back. It would be simple to have made off on one.

A bunch of us rode to an idyllic country cafe. It was a former farm house down a tiny lane, chickens wandering about between us. Bikes and cyclists everywhere. About a week later some low life got on somebody else's bike in front of witnesses and just rode off on it.

It's all about cheeky confidence. If you act as if it is your bike then people will think that it is. My mum used to work in a department store next to the TV department. Somebody in a white coat walked up to the display, unplugged a TV and walked off with it. He returned a few minutes later to get another one. He kept doing it until finally challenged by a security guard on the stairs. He threw that set at the guard and ran to a waiting van, escaping with thousands of pounds worth of sets.

Tin Pot

Guru
At our (vegan)coffee house...

Why? Why, why, why would you need to tell us the coffee house thinks of itself as vegan?

Tin Pot

Guru
Most cafes it would be difficult to steal a bike from without people noticing.

Because people noticing stops crime. Well known fact. Not.

But, apart from the opportunist thief, if they really wanted to nick it, they'll likely be "going equipped" and a café lock won't stop 'em.

Absolutely.

I think you are more likely to lose your bike to an opportunist thief. Than to someone who is going equipped to steal one.

And you think opportunist thieves don't carry basic thieving tools? Good luck with that.

It is absolutely incredible that your average person thinks that locks prevent theft. What, like they prevent house burglaries? Or car theft? Or...pretty much any theft?

There is a much more effective, cost free, theft deterrent. Don't leave your bike unattended.

End message.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is a much more effective, cost free, theft deterrent. Don't leave your bike unattended.
But then you don't get any food or drink - unless you're somewhere lovely like Cambridge or King's Lynn with ride-up cafes and takeaways. Not terribly practical. Much better to lock the bike well and keep an eye on it (but I accept it only deters - doesn't prevent).

But then you don't get any food or drink - unless you're somewhere lovely like Cambridge or King's Lynn with ride-up cafes and takeaways. Not terribly practical. Much better to lock the bike well and keep an eye on it (but I accept it only deters - doesn't prevent).
Tin pot i believe sleeps with his, and more.

Top Bottom