Coffee shop security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.. of which happened to an old member of this forum in Richmond Park. A few friends left their bikes outside the cafe, someone standing guard watching, but still someone half inched his bike. Right under their noses.
I'd searched for this to share, before seeing you'd mention it.

So, here's the link https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bianchi-1885-stolen-from-richmond-park-london.127871/

As a secondary lock for the front wheel (even in the badlands of London) or a primary lock if in sight I have taken to using one of these.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d-lock-blue-id_8342017.html

Actually mine only cost £3.50 in a sale and has I think a notch less security rating than that one.

I always have a pannier of some sort with me so I don't need something that will go in a jersey pocket or in my rectum.

It's pretty light and on tour I can keep it close to hand whereas the big D lock has to go at the back of a pannier with all my worldly goods stacked on top.

I used to use a cable for the front wheel but reckon this is better - it's not really much heavier, if at all, is more compact, easier to stash and I reckon ALL cable locks tempt thieves. Although this is an admittedly puny D lock I reckon a thief would still have to take a big hammer or power tool to it. And if they have those with them they can get through a "proper" D lock anyway. And steal a better looking bike. The bikes I ride aren't prime thief material for various reasons.

note - don't actually use cafes much as I'm very particular about my coffee. I'm more likely to be found at a Spoons and many of their more architecturally boring/modern branches have outside seating and often proper bike racks in clear sight. Such spoons establishments have powered two rides from Birmingham to London and almost 24 hours of ambling riding from London to Great Yarmouth - I commend their branches in Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth. Oh and Norwich by the river :smile: and ...

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Cafe Velo Beverley ?
It is indeed. The Bike Cave at Driffield now has a coffee shop too & I believe you can take your bikes in there as well :okay:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Because people noticing stops crime. Well known fact. Not.

Absolutely.

And you think opportunist thieves don't carry basic thieving tools? Good luck with that.

It is absolutely incredible that your average person thinks that locks prevent theft. What, like they prevent house burglaries? Or car theft? Or...pretty much any theft?

There is a much more effective, cost free, theft deterrent. Don't leave your bike unattended.

End message.
By opportunist. I mean someone walking by who sees a nice, unlocked bike and decided to have it away. I'm an ex copper who has dealt with many bike thefts. Nearly all of them unlocked bikes. Even the guys targeting bikes would rather not have to break locks to get a bike. So locks do help to deter thieves. If I am out riding with my partner I like to go and visit things with her and not take it in turn to guard our bikes. I am happy to wire our bikes up and leave them. It has worked for us so far.

Pish

As a rank newbie I hesitate to give advice but does no one remove the wheel quick release spindle?

Top Bottom