cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
out this morning and managed just under 13 miles :sad:

blisteringly cold even if we haven't had any snow, toes were pretty chilly and i'm surprised i still have 10 fingers! even with un-insulted long finger gloves

worst part is that apparently 23mm tyres with no tread and about 115-120psi in the rear and 85-90 psi in the front have no chance what so ever on black ice :sad:
descending rather cautiously at probably only 18-20 mph and going round a right hand corner got blinded by the sun, couldn't see anything and hit black ice! managed to pull it off by slowing down very slowly and not steering too much whilst shifting my weight about to keep here up :smile:

pulled over 50 metres down the road as i was rather shaken up and decided to put my front tyre on a bit of black ice whilst standing still and....... surprise surprise i had no grip what so ever

lesson, be bloody careful out there people and don't risk it for a biscuit!
Cheers Ed

I bet your legs were nice and warm after that.....

fatjel

Veteran
I use the mountain bike when the weathers bad.. Mostly cos I dont care if it gets broke.
Fell off twice this year once in July and once in August.. (roads were too warm/dry I guess)
Was proper cold out today

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep, i think i need a pair of vittoria rubino's like this
1471357_1.jpg

Cheers Ed

Having these exact tyres on my Roubaix... they are not that great grip wise in mucky weather and certainly not for icy conditions. but then again, which tyres are apart from studded.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Even at midday there was ice on the road i live on , main roads are ok but i doubt the country lanes i ride would have been gritted so i had to give it a miss, over a week sice i have been out due to kids , xmas etc but much as i want too i know its a fools errand unless i have too.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Even at midday there was ice on the road i live on , main roads are ok but i doubt the country lanes i ride would have been gritted so i had to give it a miss, over a week sice i have been out due to kids , xmas etc but much as i want too i know its a fools errand unless i have too.
ice all day in most places today :sad:

I bet your legs were nice and warm after that.....
fairly, not overly even though i had padded shorts and thin lycra under layer over them
Having these exact tyres on my Roubaix... they are not that great grip wise in mucky weather and certainly not for icy conditions. but then again, which tyres are apart from studded.
TBH i think i might have to give cycling a rest for a while apart from commuting and just run :sad:
Cheers Ed

Ian193

Über Member
i want one but i have a few reasons as to why i' not getting one YET
  1. i have a few other rather important things to spend my money on
  2. still trying to work out somewhere to put a turbo!
  3. to keep track of my miles i need a computer with cadence, preferably a garmin edge 500 with the cadence meter but this is another £120 absolute minimum :sad:

will have to wait for the time being :sad:
Cheers Ed

Hi
Topeak do a cadence and speed sensor that works with a free app on the iPhone for about £40 I use this and it works great on the turbo

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am on the scooter now the ice is here and After 5 minutes I am getting warm. It's about -2 at the moment. After 20 minutes I am toasty warm. I rode 25km yesterday and was warm all the way round.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Hi
Topeak do a cadence and speed sensor that works with a free app on the iPhone for about £40 I use this and it works great on the turbo
don't think they make one for nokia brick do they?
none of this smart phone malarkey for me :smile:
Cheers Ed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@young Ed the only tyres that work (very well btw) on ice are studded ones.
Even so, I keep to main roads when there is ice about. The studded tyres do enable me to go about my business (no car), worth the investment as they will last years.
It was tricky yesterday at a junction, had change lane to turn right but could not see approaching cars behind because of the low sun.
What I did was to stop in a safe place on the left, then cycle across when I could see clearly.

Top Bottom