cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
20141229_155029.jpg

Many of the lanes near me covered in ice. Lots of fun on worn 25mm Lugano's.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm using 32mm tyres with about 70psi and praying to the cycle gods to watch over me! The cold i can handle but the dodgy roads need 100% concentration,especially when some git is up my backside hassling me to get a move on while they sit comfortably!:angry:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
ice all day in most places today :sad:

fairly, not overly even though i had padded shorts and thin lycra under layer over them

TBH i think i might have to give cycling a rest for a while apart from commuting and just run :sad:
Cheers Ed

Why not have a look for a local gym that will give you a couple of months membership or a pay as you go deal and use their spin bikes?

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
View attachment 75545
Many of the lanes near me covered in ice. Lots of fun on worn 25mm Lugano's.
no thanks!
Why not have a look for a local gym that will give you a couple of months membership or a pay as you go deal and use their spin bikes?
my nearest gym is about 8 or 9 miles away and to get to that i would need to cycle along a busy a road (i do this for the commute anyway as gym is just up the road from my school) and along some, no doubt rather icy, country lanes. so it would work whilst i'm at the gym but getting there and back defeats what i have achieved by going to the gym :sad:
Cheers Ed

mythste

Veteran
Had my first foray out in the ice at about 6am this morning on my SS with 32c's on. The cold wasn't too bad, soft shell and gloves was enough - but the handeling was skittish at best, utterly irresponsive at worse! Lots of concentration required, fortunately they roads were pretty quiet and it was only a short stint!

The solution is obvious, you need to shout and swear at your gloves before you put them on :smile:.

even with un-insulted long finger gloves

:eek::eek::laugh:
out this morning and managed just under 13 miles :sad:

blisteringly cold even if we haven't had any snow, toes were pretty chilly and i'm surprised i still have 10 fingers! even with un-insulted long finger gloves

worst part is that apparently 23mm tyres with no tread and about 115-120psi in the rear and 85-90 psi in the front have no chance what so ever on black ice :sad:
descending rather cautiously at probably only 18-20 mph and going round a right hand corner got blinded by the sun, couldn't see anything and hit black ice! managed to pull it off by slowing down very slowly and not steering too much whilst shifting my weight about to keep here up :smile:

pulled over 50 metres down the road as i was rather shaken up and decided to put my front tyre on a bit of black ice whilst standing still and....... surprise surprise i had no grip what so ever

lesson, be bloody careful out there people and don't risk it for a biscuit!
Cheers Ed

That's sound advice. I had a hilarious, but frightening ride this morning. In this weather, there are more risks than usual, and one risk in particular, that I hadn't considered, until now. The risk of being nearly skittled by a riderless motorcycle, sliding across the road in front of you, and the risk of riding over the sliding motorcyclist, who followed his sliding motorcycle a second or two later:eek::laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your not self employed are you.
Or familiar with living with a broken hip ... :whistle:

My brother-in-law broke his in a fall. The hip was pinned and a long, difficult recovery period followed. Unfortunately, the blood supply to the ball at the end of the femur never reestablished properly and the bone became necrotic. A hip replacement op was next on the list. Some lingering discomfort, but mobility was restored and all was well. Until the letter from the hospital, that is ...

It turns out that the type of hip implant used can cause poisoning if worn metal particles get into the body tissues. Regular monitoring is now required, and the joint will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. This is a problem in younger patients because surgeons can't just keep repeating such invasive surgery. It could mean a failed hip in his 60s.

All in all, I would rather miss a few cold bike rides than take the chance of that kind of outcome! (Or I would go studded. Normal tyres + ice? NO WAY!)

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
:eek::eek::laugh:

That's sound advice. I had a hilarious, but frightening ride this morning. In this weather, there are more risks than usual, and one risk in particular, that I hadn't considered, until now. The risk of being nearly skittled by a riderless motorcycle, sliding across the road in front of you, and the risk of riding over the sliding motorcyclist, who followed his sliding motorcycle a second or two later:eek::laugh:
oh dear! was the biker ok? i hope you stopped?
Off out in half an hour or so. Looks OK ice-wise. Think I'll stick to the low level gritted roads. Today is not the day for Holme Moss which tops out at 1,700+ft
careful! i thought it looked ok ice wise and my dad who had been out earlier in his van reckoned it was fine, oh boy was it not!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom