Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Early James Bond films are full of continuity errors.
One that springs to mind is the self repairing yellow pick-up truck in "From Russia With Love", when Bond is escaping from a train that stopped at a border check point somewhere. He is going cross country in a yellow pick-up when the baddies appear in a helicopter and launch missiles at him. One is seen to cause some damage to the pick-up, but in the next scene, as if by magic - it is fixed!

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are the numerous examples of cars and motorbikes being driven with the wrong engine noise (for example a high-revving 4 cylinder noise for twin-cylinder bikes… I’m looking at you The Italian Job (2003)), or with infinite upshifts and no downshifts, or the classic ‘I need to go faster so I’ll just shift gear and/or plant the throttle more’ (ahem, Le Mans ‘66/Ford vs Ferrari). I also recall in Mission Impossible that the Triumph Street Triple that Tom was riding kept swapping tyres between road and knobbly.

There are the numerous examples of cars and motorbikes being driven with the wrong engine noise (for example a high-revving 4 cylinder noise for twin-cylinder bikes… I’m looking at you The Italian Job (2003)), or with infinite upshifts and no downshifts, or the classic ‘I need to go faster so I’ll just shift gear and/or plant the throttle more’ (ahem, Le Mans ‘66/Ford vs Ferrari). I also recall in Mission Impossible that the Triumph Street Triple that Tom was riding kept swapping tyres between road and knobbly.
this takes the nerd prize so far.

Glow worm

Legendary Member

Hold my beer....

Some time ago we were watching a period drama set in the UK during WW1. In the background you could clearly hear collared doves calling. As everyone knows, collared doves did not reach the UK until the early 1950's. I pointed this out to my wife who was watching it with me and for some reason she began Googling divorce lawyers.

Hold my beer....

Some time ago we were watching a period drama set in the UK during WW1. In the background you could clearly hear collared doves calling. As everyone knows, collared doves did not reach the UK until the early 1950's. I pointed this out to my wife who was watching it with me and for some reason she began Googling divorce lawyers.
and to think that the faithless strumpet was first attracted to you at that party with your fascinating "did you knows".

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Connery and Cage laugh fest "The Rock" is so riddled by them it's not even funny.

In one scene alone (a chase scene involving a yellow Ferrari) the windscreen is smashed, then intact, then smashed again, then intact again. At one point it's a real F355, later it's a kit car, evidenced by the whole plastic bodyshell popping off and revealing the stunt car underneath. Various other cars roll over, revealing the stunt cannon underneath, and cars explode from being hit at 40mph.

It's so poorly done I walked out. But then it's a Michael Bay film, so I should have known that as long as there are explosions every 12 seconds, he's not bothered about anything else.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To add to the nerdism, the engine note of the Triumph Stag used in Diamonds Are Forever was dubbed. The producers used the engine note of a 4 cylinder Triumph Herald, not the V8 burble of the Stag. It is believed because they were concerned the engine noise of the British engine sounded better than the Mustang Mach 1 which was used in the car chase.

The number of car chases where vehicles are magically matched for performance is astonishing. The Plymouth Valiant in Duel, should have been easily capable of outrunning a tanker hauling Peterbilt truck.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
A film crew is clearly visible in the crowd in Gladiator (on the left hand side)

screenshot-b9541242.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
There are the numerous examples of cars and motorbikes being driven with the wrong engine noise (for example a high-revving 4 cylinder noise for twin-cylinder bikes… I’m looking at you The Italian Job (2003)), or with infinite upshifts and no downshifts, or the classic ‘I need to go faster so I’ll just shift gear and/or plant the throttle more’ (ahem, Le Mans ‘66/Ford vs Ferrari).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To add to the nerdism, the engine note of the Triumph Stag used in Diamonds Are Forever was dubbed. The producers used the engine note of a 4 cylinder Triumph Herald, not the V8 burble of the Stag. It is believed because they were concerned the engine noise of the British engine sounded better than the Mustang Mach 1 which was used in the car chase.

The number of car chases where vehicles are magically matched for performance is astonishing. The Plymouth Valiant in Duel, should have been easily capable of outrunning a tanker hauling Peterbilt truck.

Maybe they shoved a Herald engine in the Stag as they couldn't be sure the V8 would last a whole scene

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I can't decide if this topic is engagingly nerdy or just plain naff.

May as well make my own contribution.

I'm told that in Ben Hur one of the centurions is wearing a wrist watch.
And in the chariot race, you can see a Morris Minor in the background.

Top Bottom