Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
They producers didn't have any choice. File under necessity rather than continuity or c*ck-up.

At the time of filming the Spanish Air Force was in the process of retiring its Buchons and the makers of the film were able to secure a reasonable number. I've a book somewhere about the making of the film that describes how those, and the 'Heinkels' which were also Spanish machines with non standard engines, were acquired.

Proper Daimler Benz engined 109s are rare beasts. The UK had 'Black 6' at one time but it belongs to the Imperial War Museum and, perhaps understandably, they decided letting it fly was too much risk for a historical artefact.

In the same film Goering is shown arriving on the the Channel coast, Boulogne I think, in his special train. I've never seen the massive mountains visible in the scene's background on any of my umpteen visits to the area...

For logisitical reasons that bit was filmed in Spain, near Granada IIRC.

classic33

Leg End Member
Top Gun
Maverick says of the song 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' "my folks loved it". However, his father died in 1965, his mother died "shortly after him", and the song wasn't written until 1967.

Proving that there's an army of train nerds watching films, peering at paintings, devouring the world's literature looking for slips.

Off at a tangent I thought of the scene in Darkest Hour where Churchill supposedly rides the tube and ends up nattering to a mixed race bunch - have never bought that scene at all.

Looking into that for other folk who scoff at that:
Found this:
https://www.thewrap.com/darkest-hour-winston-churchill-sneak-off-london-underground-subway/

Turns out his ride on the district line took too long.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
More recently, on "Vigil".
In episode 1 when the 2 women CID officers are in the car heading for "Faslane" (actually filmed on a disused access road at Hunterston nuclear power station, near me), all the scenes inside the car you can see it is raining heavily outside, windscreen wipers are on. But when they are filming the same scene outside the car, it's a beautiful sunny day!

Inside the car:

View attachment 614182

Outside!

View attachment 614183
I always give programs a bit of leeway on that one. It must be a pain to see the directions for a shot require heavy rain (either a plot quirk, a mood amplifier or a continuity issue) only to see the forecast is predicting sunshine and blue skies for at least the next week. You either shoot and try to ignore how unrealistic it is, delay the release or bear the cost of bringing the film crew and extras back at some unknown time in the future.

And I bet that sometimes this happens in what is normally the wettest month of the year.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Fair enough, I'd never watched that closely.

One of my favourite continuity things on TV is when folk are drinking things and the levels vary wildly between shots.

Is that why, particularly in soaps, actors go into a pub, order a drink, put it to their lips, but then leave without finishing it? Makes continuity a lot easier?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The Buchons huge air intakes were necessitated by the Rolls Royce Merlin engines fitted to them. Hispano Aviación also produced a version of the BF 109 with Spanish engines and the typical nose.

Indeed they did, and I'm sure the BoB producers would have preferred to use those, had any airworthy examples survived.

An obvious one...

The 6'5" Jack Reacher is played by a 5'6" actor...

He could have done a Humphrey.

1634626801094.png

Bogart wore these for Casablanca so he wasn't shorter than Ingrid Bergman.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog//2017/02/casablanca-at-75-since-humphrey-bogart.html

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
series 5 of the sopranos, carmela cooks a batch of 10 scones, puts them out onto the plate...but when she turns to put them away, theres only 2 on the plate...no one else in the room lol

slow scot

Veteran
The scene in the Shawshank Redemption when the hero locks himself in the room and plays the record of rather beautiful music. Later on someone remarks on “the two Italian ladies” who were singing. As the scene takes place near Seville the ladies were of course Spanish. Susannah and the Countess Almaviva if you’re interested.
May I also claim this to be the most pedantic post on this thread yet?

Top Bottom