Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Hopefully the meeting up in gardens, or groups in a park, will be the first relaxation. I know some kids will abuse it and start planning raves in the woods, but it would make a huge difference to most youngsters if they could have mates round for the afternoon.

Anyway, Morph's had his jab, so that's good to know. Bit concerned about Wallace though. Anybody heard anything?

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
Yes I just posted similar on the "back to normal thread". I find some of the messages coming out about restrictions until the autumn quire alarming and I think if so will stretch willingness to comply from many to breaking point - and in saying that I am not judging if the restrictions are needed or not because there may be good reasons.
As soon as the hospitals clear and with the vaccination programme continuing at speed, it will be hard to hold back the tide and not just the kids !

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Read in on the BBC this morning - can't find it mow but here are two links

Professor John Edmunds

Some restrictions will last "probably forever"
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/hea...hristmas-sage-scientist-predicts-b919359.html

And here masks probably for ever

View: https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1359877498121641986

Thanks. All very unclear from that what he meant, I thought.

lane

Veteran
It's actually interesting that part of the reason for the majority potentially not being able to returnto normal is the percentage of people unvaccinated and potentially creating pressure on the NHS. I think for those who have been vaccinated this will be an increasingly difficult sell.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I'm not finding the mask thing onerous at all. Nor the gel and hand-washing. Wiping down the groceries with disinfectant was tedious but I've stopped doing that. I have no objection to all that continuing.

I often walk to the shop with my elderly neighbour to get groceries though. She has asthma and when she comes out of the shop she's gasping and needs her inhaler, which I've never seen her use in previous years. It will be very tough on her if the mask thing goes on all year.

I think the high and immediate level of compliance with masks, distancing etc is one reason the likes of Taiwan have fared so well. They'd been through it with Sars.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks. All very unclear from that what he meant, I thought.

John Edmunds very knowledgeable as he is just tends to point out blindingly obvious things the media or other members of SAGE don't necessarily want to say clearly. He's worried about the E484K mutation that has appeared independently in two locations in the UK and twice in other bits of the world taking over eventually this year. John Edmunds is worried about if primary and secondary schools are open is R above 1. He's worried about those for whom vaccination doesn't prevent hospitalisation and also the roughly 53 million outside the priority groups. He's specifically said before about not being able to vaccinate children yet except a few that can have it off licence. He is actually fairly optimistic about what'll transpire, it's just his timelines are longer than open everything up in March/April/May that some want.

He said the rule of six may last a year and masks on public transport and venues such as supermarkets.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not finding the mask thing onerous at all. Nor the gel and hand-washing. Wiping down the groceries with disinfectant was tedious but I've stopped doing that. I have no objection to all that continuing.

I often walk to the shop with my elderly neighbour to get groceries though. She has asthma and when she comes out of the shop she's gasping and needs her inhaler, which I've never seen her use in previous years. It will be very tough on her if the mask thing goes on all year.

Many settings over the summer/autumn will be settings where the law may not cover/cover any more face coverings. Communication, tone and norms matter a great deal then.

For example scenarios considered are what do you do if you offer something indoors in groups and it's allowed then and you can be pretty sure no one present has been vaccinated? What about if everyone refuses to use face coverings or impractical or everyone present is exempt and does not wear face coverings? I had to do a risk assessment and it's very challenging balancing up the different factors and protecting some of the more forgotten groups. Some others were quite shocked that without face coverings and social distancing things have to become smaller, which just goes to show you a year in not everyone is with the program still. And things ceasing, or continuing to be done on-line would be a grave mistake with consequences and to a lesser extent it'd be sad that people miss out as some won't wear a face covering.

Top Bottom