Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Is is just me who finds these telegraphed announcements frustrating? How many hours will elapse, millions of footfalls take place in shops, or public transport journeys underaken, before face coverings, unless medically exempt, are compulsory?

Milzy

Guru
Is is just me who finds these telegraphed announcements frustrating? How many hours will elapse, millions of footfalls take place in shops, or public transport journeys underaken, before face coverings, unless medically exempt, are compulsory?
They’ll never be compulsory now after all this time. Also people will revolt in the U.K. if they tried it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They will be. They have never stopped being compulory in the rest of the UK, and I nave see no signs of revolt Wales or Scotland. Just bemusement at them not being in England.
Boris could have kept mask use the same as all the other devolved governments but chose not to. I’d like to see some tightening even up here. Sh…ts about to hit the fan !

Alex321

Veteran
Boris could have kept mask use the same as all the other devolved governments but chose not to. I’d like to see some tightening even up here. Sh…ts about to hit the fan !
Yeah, he could have, and IMO should have. It surprised me yesterday, driving from Wales to Scotland, how uncomfortable the numbers of people without masks made me in the motorway services in England.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I expect to see more "exempt from wearing one" this time round.
We've got a Prime Minister who has repeatedly resisted wearing a mask, a government that has made wearing a mask a matter of personal choice, ignoring the danger this creates for other people as though vaccines made transmission impossible, and a steadfast refusal to make mask wearing mandatory. Try getting adherence to mask wearing advice to gain any serious hold.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We've got a Prime Minister who has repeatedly resisted wearing a mask, a government that has made wearing a mask a matter of personal choice, ignoring the danger this creates for other people as though vaccines made transmission impossible, and a steadfast refusal to make mask wearing mandatory. Try getting adherence to mask wearing advice to gain any serious hold.
Nonetheless, I am encouraged by that survey I linked recently that I think had a significant minority (maybe 28% of non wearers IIRC) saying they would wear them again if required to by government. This is a numbers game and each extra wearer lowers the risk a bit.

Today's trains have been hell. About 10% masked, both before and after Boris's speech, despite stations on this line still having blunt "wear a face covering" posters, not the "please ... if you don't mind, to show respect for others"-style version used at Great Northern stations since July. The powers will have to do some attention-grabbing publicity for the new requirements.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Nonetheless, I am encouraged by that survey I linked recently that I think had a significant minority (maybe 28% of non wearers IIRC) saying they would wear them again if required to by government. This is a numbers game and each extra wearer lowers the risk a bit.

Today's trains have been hell. About 10% masked, both before and after Boris's speech, despite stations on this line still having blunt "wear a face covering" posters, not the "please ... if you don't mind, to show respect for others"-style version used at Great Northern stations since July. The powers will have to do some attention-grabbing publicity for the new requirements.
Without enforcement of mandatory mask-wearing legislation, the government-granted right to harm, possibly fatally, other people is going to continue. I'm speaking about England, here, because the other UK nations have different approaches.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Without enforcement of mandatory mask-wearing legislation, the government-granted right to harm, possibly fatally, other people is going to continue. I'm speaking about England, here, because the other UK nations have different approaches.
The government allows people to drive motor vehicles, and sometimes collisions of pedestrians, cyclists and other road transport with motor vehicles have fatal consequences. Do you consider this a "government-granted right to harm, possibly fatally, other people"? I think a more measured response and a little less hyperbole would be more likely to get traction.
I have been wearing a mask, of my own volition, in every public indoor/travel/confined space since last year, except in pubs (and the odd restaurant - EOTHO). Can I enquire whether you advocate mask-wearing in pubs, and how does that work out with quaffing to odd pint or three, in the company of friends? Or do you advocate that pubs and eating places be closed? If you think trains and buses should continue to operate, I guess that principle applies to aeroplanes too?

I have been wearing a mask, of my own volition, in every public indoor/travel/confined space since last year, except in pubs (and the odd restaurant - EOTHO). Can I enquire whether you advocate mask-wearing in pubs, and how does that work out with quaffing to odd pint or three, in the company of friends? Or do you advocate that pubs and eating places be closed? If you think trains and buses should continue to operate, I guess that principle applies to aeroplanes too?

I think there is a great difference between the legislation of mask-wearing in places it is likely many or even most of us must frequent - such as public transport and shops - and those we can choose, or not, to frequent such as hospitality venues.
Neither do I consider flying to be - generally - in the same league as 'public transport', at least within one's own nation or group of nations and for the majority of people.
I was very cheered during my week away in Harrogate to see that, at least in some parts of this country, the majority of people I met in my wanderings around and about were masking, and there appeared to be fewer of the nose-free sub-type of wearer than there are round here in central Lancashire.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The government allows people to drive motor vehicles, and sometimes collisions of pedestrians, cyclists and other road transport with motor vehicles have fatal consequences. Do you consider this a "government-granted right to harm, possibly fatally, other people"? I think a more measured response and a little less hyperbole would be more likely to get traction.
If I drove around with no consideration for the wellbeing of others I'd soon find myself sanctioned. Yet this behaviour is allowed in matters of others' health when it comes to covid. And I've given up hope of anyone getting any proper traction on this. Accepting this is the inverse of a measured response.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If I drove around with no consideration for the wellbeing of others I'd soon find myself sanctioned. Yet this behaviour is allowed in matters of others' health when it comes to covid. And I've given up hope of anyone getting any proper traction on this. Accepting this is the inverse of a measured response.

Exactly.

Try suggesting to the average non-mask wearer that they might at least maintain a safe distance from you, and prepare to be told to f*** off.

Top Bottom