Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OK. I have no issue with that, just trying to establish if this was an anti-McD thing, or, a general Food Take-away thing.

As I said, I do not frequent McD, or, indeed, any fast food outlet, but, I don't see that my personal preferences should make it illegal, or, even, frowned upon, for other people to do so.
A pizza van is visiting my village. I'd have to preorder and book a collection time. Does the panel think it is worse to interact with people and to eat high-fat food, or to refuse to support a small business and to have go food shopping almost a day sooner? WWYD?

OK. I have no issue with that, just trying to establish if this was an anti-McD thing, or, a general Food Take-away thing.

As I said, I do not frequent McD, or, indeed, any fast food outlet, but, I don't see that my personal preferences should make it illegal, or, even, frowned upon, for other people to do so.

It's not anti MCdonald or anti fast food even. But if we are told to everything possible to limit interaction to the bare minimum - I just don't think they are essential.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I suspect that a visit to a fast food outlet won't really put off that journey to the supermarket, so that's two outings rather than one. I'd imagine that fast food service might be lower risk than the big shop but it's not going to replace it. 2 catch and spread opportunities versus one.

mjr

I suspect that a visit to a fast food outlet won't really put off that journey to the supermarket,
Seems a bit rude effectively to call me a liar.

so that's two outings rather than one. I'd imagine that fast food service might be lower risk than the big shop but it's not going to replace it. 2 catch and spread opportunities versus one.
As the pizza van would be one main meal not 10, I think the question on purely covid risk would be whether one "local" collection from a van is less than a tenth that of a supermarket shop in a nearby town. What with public (mis)behaviour here, it probably is.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Seems a bit rude effectively to call me a liar.

As the pizza van would be one main meal not 10, I think the question on purely covid risk would be whether one "local" collection from a van is less than a tenth that of a supermarket shop in a nearby town. What with public (mis)behaviour here, it probably is.
Sorry, I understood your post to mean that it would delay your shopping by a day but you'd still need to do your shopping. And doing both will increase spread and catch opportunities. I don't have a moral principle on this, just a theoretical idea about what the risks might be. There's even an argument for diversity in lockdown, so a pizza might do you more good than the slight risk of increasing risk to self and others. Otherwise we might all risk going bonkers.

Reactions: mjr

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A pizza van is visiting my village. I'd have to preorder and book a collection time. Does the panel think it is worse to interact with people and to eat high-fat food, or to refuse to support a small business and to have go food shopping almost a day sooner? WWYD?
Have yourself a socially distanced pizza, hope you enjoy it. ;)

Have yourself a socially distanced pizza, hope you enjoy it. ;)

Pizza or Pfizer !

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe I'm missing something but how is this possible in a population of 5milion?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...wn-curbs-tightened-death-toll-exceeds-17-000/

(BTW, a typo from The National as that figure is 7000)

The total death toll in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea - 5614.

:sad:
I'll say it's due to a sense of entitlement, coupled with a "no-ones going to tell me what I can and cannot do" attitude. Along with a lot of amateurs making their feelings known on what the rest of us should be doing.

Similar sized population

mjr

I'll say it's due to a sense of entitlement, coupled with a "no-ones going to tell me what I can and cannot do" attitude. Along with a lot of amateurs making their feelings known on what the rest of us should be doing.

Similar sized population
You've fallen for the hate-thy-neighbour play too? gov.scot have seemed almost (but not quite) as late to every step as gov.uk, although sometimes that is because their hands are tied by gov.uk in some way.

classic33

Leg End Member
You've fallen for the hate-thy-neighbour play too? gov.scot have seemed almost (but not quite) as late to every step as gov.uk, although sometimes that is because their hands are tied by gov.uk in some way.
I've fallen for nothing lad.
In the last eight months I've had more people telling me what they feel I should be doing, even if they aren't doing what they expect me to do. Often in the street, and nearly always people I've never spoken to before.

Personally, I couldn't care less about any silly point scoring. I'm viewing this "minor irritation" of the last 303 days in the long term. I'm also looking at it from a "me" perspective. In that long term health conditions are now under my control only, there's no help at present*.

I see family groups out doing shopping, the drunks meeting up as usual, both sets ignoring official advice.

*This will only restart when the present situation is under some control. By this time it may well be too late for me. But there are others a lot worse off than me at this moment in time.

Top Bottom