Cost of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
country lanes most of the way for me, you can do 60 but keeping it to 45 mph max and as i work shifts theres not really anyone about to annoy with my steady pace,the car is now payed for so its being kept although we looked at ev s im not forking about a min of £250 a month before electrickery , when im back on the bike i bet we do about 50 miles a week

Lean out the window and 'puff' ! Only work on tail wind days ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We also have to accept we're a bit 'weird' on this forum. We aren't normal considering riding a bike far (like more than five miles). I don't use mine for errands because I don't have a bike I could actually leave outside a shop, or would do - I'll walk or car it.
Bikes are for poor people.
Bikes are for poor people with bikes too posh to leave unattended at a shop. Schrödinger's bicycle strikes again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lean out the window and 'puff' ! Only work on tail wind days ?
i know were off topic so last post by me , prevailing wind is a headwind home :smile: , i could lift share but im restricted work not knowing where i am in the company currently so cant logistically plan my day to match the 2 people i could cadge a lift off locally , like today finished on the buzzer and had to pick mrs ckup from work then mink ck 2 from school so me having the car farks up the family routine even though they want me to pack up cycling

classic33

Leg End Member
Bikes are for poor people with bikes too posh to leave unattended at a shop. Schrödinger's bicycle strikes again.
What does the above have to do with fuel prices?

Asking as a non-driver, who'll walk, cycle, bus it or use the train.

fossyant

i know were off topic so last post by me , prevailing wind is a headwind home :smile: , i could lift share but im restricted work not knowing where i am in the company currently so cant logistically plan my day to match the 2 people i could cadge a lift off locally , like today finished on the buzzer and had to pick mrs ckup from work then mink ck 2 from school so me having the car farks up the family routine even though they want me to pack up cycling

I konw it's a mare. Hold your breath in the headwind... :wacko: PS My Mrs would rather I never cycled (HUGE history)....

fossyant

If you shopped by bike were i live, you best have plenty of bikes in reserve……

I never take my bikes near shops. Simple. I don't have any newish bikes either, but they aren't a shopper, any of them. Even when I had the fixed gear commuter, it wasn't a shop bike, too expensive - I'm also a bit odd

Bikes to me aren't shopping - it's either a fast commuter or fitness or mad fun. Day to day, then I will need to buy something when old., but walking works well.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
my car has been used twice since xmas. The twice that i used my car which was this weekend was to collect on both ocassion 9 x 70ltr bags of compost, could i have done that by bike, train or bus……ummmmm NO.
Would have been far cheaper and practical to have had it delivered or even used a taxi. Your situation still does not justify use or ownership of a private car or demonstrate a necessity for having a life built around car ownership.

after the last two posts - i though i would put this here again - no armchair sensationalism or rumour or self fullfilling prophecy of doom, but actual cold, hard facts

View attachment 633737

no - it was an email sent to me from welsh government with updates for wales. So no not on the internet,
Am I the only one here who has reservations about accepting this propaganda retweet as 'government' fact? This looks and feels much more like a biased party political broadcast than pure govt statistics. I am assuming the source (Which has yet to be revealed. Do the govt really send emails to private individuals just to spread 'news'?) is in reality a user group or forum bulletin where there is a footnote disclaimer stating that views or opinions expressed may not actually reflect official policy of the organisation etc....

Getting back to my previous post re; local fuel pricing. On the same day I posted the price board from my local supermarket I also noted the price at my 'local' petrol station. The supermarket is almost exactly 1 mile from my home. The 'local' is a few hundred yards and was/is charging 159.9p for diesel. Price variation is nothing new or unusual and I bet if I hunted around I could find someone selling at 170p/ltr within a couple of miles. Why is this news or relevant?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Would have been far cheaper and practical to have had it delivered or even used a taxi. Your situation still does not justify use or ownership of a private car or demonstrate a necessity for having a life built around car ownership.

Am I the only one here who has reservations about accepting this propaganda retweet as 'government' fact? This looks and feels much more like a biased party political broadcast than pure govt statistics. I am assuming the source (Which has yet to be revealed. Do the govt really send emails to private individuals just to spread 'news'?) is in reality a user group or forum bulletin where there is a footnote disclaimer stating that views or opinions expressed may not actually reflect official policy of the organisation etc....

Getting back to my previous post re; local fuel pricing. On the same day I posted the price board from my local supermarket I also noted the price at my 'local' petrol station. The supermarket is almost exactly 1 mile from my home. The 'local' is a few hundred yards and was/is charging 159.9p for diesel. Price variation is nothing new or unusual and I bet if I hunted around I could find someone selling at 170p/ltr within a couple of miles. Why is this news or relevant?
Who said it came to me as a private individual????
again making assumptions on something you know nothing about

also someone posted up a few posts ago, fuel prices from confused.com….maybe you dont believe that either.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
and cheaper to use taxi ( which is a motor vehicle) honest to god, the drivel that you type is mind blowing.
Cheaper to use a taxi for this one (2?) collection than to own an idle vehicle for months.
But I am wasting my time trying to point out any rationality in my reasoning, as in your irrational world you have already decided my POV, right or wrong, is unacceptable to you because you don't like me or anyone that won't agree with you!
You have claimed it is impossible to live without a car where you live, then gone on to successfully demonstrate that it isn't. This is the stubborn view of the general population and it is going to be difficult to change.

Reactions: mjr

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Cheaper to use a taxi for this one (2?) collection than to own an idle vehicle for months.
But I am wasting my time trying to point out any rationality in my reasoning, as in your irrational world you have already decided my POV, right or wrong, is unacceptable to you because you don't like me or anyone that won't agree with you!
You have claimed it is impossible to live without a car where you live, then gone on to successfully demonstrate that it isn't. This is the stubborn view of the general population and it is going to be difficult to change.
if you say so....i wonder how the taxi driver would know what to pick up. i mean its a local nursery/garden centre, they don't do pick and collect. Would the taxi driver do my shopping for me, i doubt it....again, i live in the real world, not some fancy eutopia

I assume all the people going on about being able to live without a car either work in one place that can easily be commuted to on either public transport or cycle/walk etc or don't work?

I guess none of you travel to more than one place in a day that's more than a few mile away or have to carry equipment/spares or materials?

Do any of you ever have building work done to your homes I wonder, if so do you discuss the possibility of your builder taking the bus to your house with his tools/materials under his arm?

How do you suggest companies send their repair engineers to premises in the middle of the night to address fire alarm callouts for example or mobile phone engineers carrying all their kit?

I could go on but obviously in some people's world these jobs clearly don't exist or is it that it doesn't fit your narrative?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It looks like, from the headlines this morning, that things are going to get worse before they get better. I predict a lot more people wil be trying to reduce their vehicle use if possible. I agree that using taxis and buses is sometimes better for some, but let's face it, most of us who have cars do not use then 24/7. They have to sit on our drive for when we need them. A good compromise (as I'm sure many do already) is to re-think how many trips you actually need to make in the car. I use my car a lot less in the summer when I walk to collect my son, and sometimes walk to the corner shop. I just look at all my other journeys I need to make, going to my partners house after work, coming back in the morning, visiting my parents 30 miles away (with my son); would cost a lot more in public transport than it currently does in fuel. Add to that cost of a taxi for garden/DIY stuff and there is no comparison (taxis are also abysmal here, I've never had one on time).

The main factor is TIME! I don't have time to make greener transport choices if I want to keep my job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom