Cricket World Cup 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well I settled down to watch the game last night for a couple of hours at least. 14-4 so I went to bed.
NZ are far from dark horses in this tournament and nobody will fancy playing them. Conditions were favourable in Dunedin to their bowling line up but it was a very impressive performance by their opening strike pair. The run chase was a bit naïve. That was not a "run a ball" surface but they tried to bat like it was and lost wickets too quickly. Of course they needed to get their run rate moving but they almost got caught out. I believe Scotland put down a few chances too.

Nickyboys World Cup prediction: Tedious group stage finally concludes with all the top 8 sides (except Bangladesh who I can't believe are seeded above NZ) going through.....except one. Ireland squeeze past them on net run rate. Can't make my mind up if it will be WI or Pakistan who will go out. England make it to the quarters but not without a scare against Afghanistan. Ireland and England crash out in the quarters. SA v NZ final

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bugger...

image.jpg

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Just thinking about that performance by England, I could have scored no runs and been spanked for 50 from 18 balls; if only I was a Saffer I'd be a shoe in for an England call-up ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well I'm glad I didn't stay up half the night to watch that.

Forget the bowling performance, England were mentally shot by then. It's all about the batting problems. Decent-ish start but with Morgan at 4 so far out of form and playing two "innings builders" in Taylor and Root putting pressure on the likes of Buttler further down the order. Selection and order needs a shake up, otherwise they'll go into subsequent games thinking it could all happen again.

My predictions upthread still stand. NZ v SA final. England limp into the quarters and then go out. Ireland make it too (Scotland don't)...but it is WI or Pakistan who go out?

I think the England set up needs another layer of middle management. (to blame). Meanwhile, well done New Zealand - fast becoming an entertaining force in world cricket it seems. Remember the ancient days when only West Indies superstars used to swat the ball willy-nilly from the get go...before £ and basketball began to carve their game up?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think the England set up needs another layer of middle management. (to blame). Meanwhile, well done New Zealand - fast becoming an entertaining force in world cricket it seems. Remember the ancient days when only West Indies superstars used to swat the ball willy-nilly from the get go...before £ and basketball began to carve their game up?

And would it be fair to say they have the best captain in world cricket at the moment? I really rate McCullum and his thinking makes a big difference to the team's performance.

Made me laugh watching Liverpool last night when their captain (Henderson) couldn't even get Balotelli to follow orders re who was supposed to take a penalty.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bloody Nora, I wasn't expecting quite such a drubbing. Bring on Afghanistan and Scotland - our humiliation will be complete if we lose to either of them.

gavgav

Guru
Well today has to be up there with the worst performance ever by an English cricket team. Completely outclassed. Scotland beating us on Sunday would just cap it all off!!

U

User482

Bloody Nora, I wasn't expecting quite such a drubbing. Bring on Afghanistan and Scotland - our humiliation will be complete if we lose to either of them.

I get the impression that humiliation by a "lesser" team is the only way anything will change.

Top Bottom