Cricket World Cup 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's the old, old problem that gets to all the England teams, be it cricket, football, rugby whatever.....pressure of expecations. Having said that I would be very disappointed if they didn't knock this off.
3 down now and Bell gone.
Joe Root needs to stay there

AndyRM

XOXO
Plenty of time and wickets. No need to panic.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's not gonna get fixed by swapping in KP or whoever. There's been a real shift in the way ODIs are played. The leading teams are playing them like an extended T20 whereas we're stil approaching them like a truncated Test match. You can see that in the scoring, 300 is not even par these days.That, combined with fear of failure which appears endemic in the English sporting character, is what's going wrong.

AndyRM

XOXO
It's not gonna get fixed by swapping in KP or whoever. There's been a real shift in the way ODIs are played. The leading teams are playing them like an extended T20 whereas we're stil approaching them like a truncated Test match. You can see that in the scoring, 300 is not even par these days.That, combined with fear of failure which appears endemic in the English sporting character, is what's going wrong.

Yeah, it was a knee-jerk thing to be honest, I know that it's not an easy fix (plus I have an irrational hatred of Morgan and a lot of respect and time for KP).

I think you've pretty much summed it up really. We've a good side in there that's being hampered by poor coaching and direction. Really frustrating to watch, and it must be murder to play!

Paul99

Über Member
This is spot on. It's the fault of the ECB ultimately. They think it's 'their' game and won't listen to anyone trying to change it, they are stuck in the past. So they only employ people that will play the game the way they want it to be played and as a result we get to witness the current squad being humiliated.

We have some very decent players, who can play some brilliant one day cricket, and they are not being allowed to.

But losing in this manner in this WC will change nothing. We'll smash Afganistan and they'll all be going "We've turned the corner! We won our last match! the future's bright"

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
But losing in this manner in this WC will change nothing. We'll smash Afganistan and they'll all be going "We've turned the corner! We won our last match! the future's bright"
But if it happens it'll be because the pressure is off. Everyone is expecting to fail at the moment and it's a terrible mood to be in when trying to excel at something. Morgan still won't make 20 against Afganistan, the captainship just doesn't work for him. They need to look at how they build the squads and to stop viewing every player as a Test Match player with added abilities that are handy for T20 or one day.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is spot on. It's the fault of the ECB ultimately. They think it's 'their' game and won't listen to anyone trying to change it, they are stuck in the past. So they only employ people that will play the game the way they want it to be played and as a result we get to witness the current squad being humiliated.

We have some very decent players, who can play some brilliant one day cricket, and they are not being allowed to.

A great example is the unwillingness to allow players to participate in the IPL. The counties force players to miss out on direct exposure to cutting edge T20 (from which a lot of ODI tactics are developed these days). If the ECB wanted to, they could force the issue as counties are ultimately cap in hand to the ECB but they don't. They would rather see a couple of hundred folk at a damp Old Trafford watching a nothing county game rather than getting our best OD talent out there

Paul99

Über Member
But if it happens it'll be because the pressure is off. Everyone is expecting to fail at the moment and it's a terrible mood to be in when trying to excel at something. Morgan still won't make 20 against Afganistan, the captainship just doesn't work for him. They need to look at how they build the squads and to stop viewing every player as a Test Match player with added abilities that are handy for T20 or one day.
I'll agree with this, but the pressure excuse is just that - an excuse. These are top players who are used to performing under pressure. It's what modern sport is all about and they wouldn't be playing for their counties or country if they couldn't handle it.

The 'test match mentality' is what is crippling the one day game in England and that stems from the ECB. They have their favourite players and they want to use them in all formats.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The 'test match mentality' is what is crippling the one day game in England and that stems from the ECB. They have their favourite players and they want to use them in all formats.
I think this is where the pressure does actually come in, I think the players know there are better one day players out there who should be playing. They are trying to force a skill they don't really have. Agreed they are professionals who should be able to play under pressure, but it's the pressure to perform in an arena they aren't best suited to.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think this is where the pressure does actually come in, I think the players know there are better one day players out there who should be playing. They are trying to force a skill they don't really have. Agreed they are professionals who should be able to play under pressure, but it's the pressure to perform in an arena they aren't best suited to.

I also think there is a particular problem with England teams. If an England team at any sport loses, the media crucify them. The public crucifies them. The players know this and this fear of failure permeates the team. In trying to avoid losing, you can't start winning.

Most consistently successful footballing country is Germany. If you look at the relationship between the German media and the German football team you'll find that it is completely different from, our media's relationship with the England football team. German team know they won't get slaughtered in the press if they lose a game so, counter-intuitively, they don't lose games

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
The ECBs next big decision:
upload_2015-3-9_19-21-32.jpeg

Top Bottom