1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critical Mass London Nov

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Valiant, 22 Oct 2007.

1. Valiant

Valiant Senior Member

Critical Mass London Oct

With the absence of Tourist Tony, I shall stand in as his body double... So who's coming this friday?

6.30pm outside the NFT?

I hope to be there with Beatrix :rolleyes: and a couple of friends :rolleyes: Beatrix is weather dependant though.

2. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Might even manage to get to this one! Will be the first for a long long time!

3. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I hope to attend with Ting Tong... if I can shake this cold and chest infection.

4. skut

skut New Member

I haven't been since last summer but planning to go to this time - what are the police like these days?

5. Valiant

Valiant Senior Member

Police are alright.

Suggestions for halloween tunes please!

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Chaos AD - Sepultura

Driver - Buju Banton

7. Pete

Pete Guest

Shan't be able to make it this Friday, but next month perhaps? (November is often a 'good' CM isn't it?) Part of me says 'yes, keep in touch', the other part says .... er well let the better 'part' prevail! What's TT up to BTW, will he be back for November?

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

What, may I ask, actually IS this 'critical mass' thing I keep hearing about, and what is the point in it?
    And is it purely a london thing?

9. Regulator

Its about going for a ride with friends bonj - something you may find difficult to experience (given your lack of friends)...

And no it's not a London-centric thing. CMs happen all over the country.

Perhaps you should attend one. Then we would have proof that you can actually ride a bike!

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

is that it, just a bike ride? nothing more to it/sinister aboutit than that?

11. spindrift

spindrift New Member

The police are fab at CM, I think because they see for themselves the muppetry of London drivers. The cops ride Smith and Wessons and have always been polite and friendly.

12. Regulator

I would say mostly polite and friendly. Unfortunately, they ship in muppets from surrounding forces for CM in London, which isn't very helpful - plus they use it as part of the Met's training for cycle patrol officers.

It also depends on what the officer in charge is like. London CM has had a muppet or two in the past...

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

hmmm. An "innocent bike ride with friends" shouldn't require drafting in of police from other forces. Doesn't surprise me that bimbly's involved.

14. Regulator

There used to be 6-10 officers for 600-700 cyclists, when it was policed by the City of London Constabulary. Then the Met took over and tried to get rid of CM by enforcing the provisions of the SOCA (without success in the first instance). Since then, heavy policing seems to have been the order of the day.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

So am I going to have to keep guessing, or are you going to tell me what the point of it is?
    Sounds like a bit of a militant protest if there's 100s or 1000s of cyclists involved, but what are you protesting for/against?