Custom Bicycle mud gaurds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Looking much better now. I'm not worried about the sides as they will be trimmed later. there will also be a fill in piece between the tyre and the "flick " at the bottom.

DSC_0242_zpscbjbqwts.jpg

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I am concerned with the toe clearance with the "flick". I don't want to catch it as I turn. Here it is at the closest point. I guess toe clips would solve it.

DSC_0241_zpsylwybiee.jpg

I'm still undecided on the design of the front of the mud gaurd. I have two ideas, I might make both as they will be interchangeable.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Ha ha yes. Yes it is, I noticed it the other day, when it stabbed me lol

Frank, are you a manager by any chance? :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Yes, my local independent got it for me (he retired last year)
I find it fine, I hardly used it though for heavy braking. The bike is more of a cruiser, not built for high speed jaunts!
The rear is also SA coaster with twin speed. I LOVE that! Lol

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
This mornings progress
Welded one side of the fill in. It was a pig to weld due to the edge of the first part being so thin from the stretching. When I do the rear it will be from 1.5 mm aluminium.

DSC_0244_zpspkjxnysi.jpg

Remember this is not the bike these mudguards are going on. I'm using this to mock it up as it's already in the workshop ( was hanging on the wall, hence only one pedal and loose handle bar). It's the same dimensions and geometry as the actual bike I'll be using.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Have a read of this review. @GrumpyGregry had one that failed in that way. My one has never given me any trouble.
fwiw I have had limited 'luck' with contemporary SA kit. S2C seized, threads on SA chainset on purple people eater failed (yes they were torqued correctly) SA chainring on Rhubarb the Bromptom a) slightly fouled the hinge, and b) folded like a sheet of paper when I was honking, gut meet handlebar, face meet road. SA hub and shifter on Rhubarb work ok thobut. I have concluded SA stuff isn't designed with 100kg riders in mind...

Top Bottom