Custom Bicycle mud gaurds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
well, it has been a while!

I have way too many projects on the go, so I have decided to finish stuff off!

First was my "giant eye", a 4 foot wide wall art eye made from an old door skin from a 1920's Rolls Royce and the side panel from a 1930's Riley Brooklands!

Next in the queue is this bike. ^_^

The front mudgaurd is made in two sections so i have put a joggle in so that they interlock. I also made a hanging bracket which was fixed in place with a dome head solid rivet.
SAM_0691_zpsunwjq1pg.jpg

Then I used some stainless TIG welding wire to make the supports. This is shaped then the edge of the aluminium is folded over it to hold it in place

SAM_0692_zpsl2fquz8n.jpg

So that is the front done.
In this picture I have rested the rear on the tyre just to check how the shape is coming on.

SAM_0699_zps6pr7kxf1.jpg

I will be re-fitting the dropped handle bars and re-painting everything including the mudgaurds in.......... well I haven't quite decided colour, I'm debating over two options lol

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I've decided on the colour.......

Any guesses?

As a clue, many Porsches are painted this colour, but it's not really a Porsche colour....

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
The wire is 316 stainless so quite hard and they are 3.2mm thick. I'm sure they will be fine.

The colour is going to be Gulf Blue........... Probably ! Should contrast well with the brown leather seat and matching handle bar tape.
The other colour I liked was a soft cream. ( like a Magnolia lol )

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
the rear is done now :smile:

SAM_0702_zpsltvc2dif.jpg

The bike is now dismantled, ready for the paint prep.

I have just signed up for another sprint triathlon in September, it will be fun to use this! :smile:

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
The bike is now in primer and I've mixed the top coat paint from some white and dark blue I have left over from previous projects. The problem is that now, looking at the pale blue I've made ( very close to Porsche Gulf Blue ) I'm no longer sure! I think it may look, er, a bit feminine!
My other colour I had in mind was a cream, but I'd need to spend more money to buy that. And I can't get any till Tuesday. I'd like to paint it tomorrow.
Also, I'm not sure how much paint I will need. If I don't mix enough I will be stuffed as its a one off mix. On the other hand I don't want to mix way too much and waste the rest.
Decisions decisions

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The bike is now in primer and I've mixed the top coat paint from some white and dark blue I have left over from previous projects. The problem is that now, looking at the pale blue I've made ( very close to Porsche Gulf Blue ) I'm no longer sure! I think it may look, er, a bit feminine!
My other colour I had in mind was a cream, but I'd need to spend more money to buy that. And I can't get any till Tuesday. I'd like to paint it tomorrow.
Also, I'm not sure how much paint I will need. If I don't mix enough I will be stuffed as its a one off mix. On the other hand I don't want to mix way too much and waste the rest.
Decisions decisions
Stick some metallic silver into the pale blue, trust me it'll look fab.

Top Bottom