• Salt and vinegar

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • Cheese and onion

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Hedgehog (remember them?)

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Steak

• Ready salted, the best by a mile (a teensy bit of favouritism there)

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Beef and onion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marmite.

• Roast chicken

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Prawn cocktail. I mean who or why?

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Barbecue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They don’t taste of any cheese. They taste of cheese and onion flavour, in the same way as banana or strawberry flavoured things don’t taste of banana or strawberry.
Banana things do taste of banana, they just don't taste of the variant of bananas we have nowadays.
The previously dominant banana cultivar, "Gros Michel" tasted like things we consider "banana-flavoured", but they were almost entirely wiped out by a fungus, so we replaced them with a cultivar resistant to that fungus. The current cultivar we eat worldwide, "Cavendish", are now under attack by a similar fungus - enjoy them while you can, because chances are they'll be gone in a few decades.

The things you learn when you have nothing better to do with your life :sad:

Julia9054

Guru
Banana things do taste of banana, they just don't taste of the variant of bananas we have nowadays.
The previously dominant banana cultivar, "Gros Michel" tasted like things we consider "banana-flavoured", but they were almost entirely wiped out by a fungus, so we replaced them with a cultivar resistant to that fungus. The current cultivar we eat worldwide, "Cavendish", are now under attack by a similar fungus - enjoy them while you can, because chances are they'll be gone in a few decades.

The things you learn when you have nothing better to do with your life :sad:
That's really interesting - I've learned something new.
Would love to get hold of the old variety and taste it (though that doesn't look possible)

I've tried these occasionally
1613611322392.jpeg

But don't worry you durian haters, all you taste is the oil they were cooked in, so same as any other crisps really :hungry:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Vegetable crisps make a nice change.

Nor sure who makes them, but I think they are made of parsnip, carrot, swede, and maybe one or two other vegetables.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Vegetable crisps make a nice change.

Nor sure who makes them, but I think they are made of parsnip, carrot, swede, and maybe one or two other vegetables.
Plantain chips, from Jamaica and probably elsewhere, are nice. Occasionally! Can be found in the "world food" section of Sainsbury's.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've noticed a fairly recent and annoying trend in crisps in the last couple of years: Embellishing the name of the basic flavour quite unecessarily, I think it's a trick most beloved of the "posher" makes.

So cheese and onion has become "mature cheddar and spring onion" (Burts) or "mature cheddar and chives" (Tyrells). Waitrose somehow manage to up the wanky ante a step further with "West country cheddar and caremelised onion".
Beef has become "Devon roast beef" (Burts), or even more cringe inducing, "Wagyu beef and honey mustard" (Savoursmiths).
Salt and vinegar is becoming "sea salt and cider vinegar" (Tyrells), "sea salt and malt vinegar" (Burts). Just no need.
Salt and pepper becomes "sea salt and cracked black pepper" (Waitrose).

I guess the makers feel that the two extra and redundant words fully justifies them being an extra quid per bag. The dicks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom